Does CIDP also affect the upper legs.

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Hey everyone…..o.k. i’m going on 12 years with CIDP always affecting my feet and fingers but i’ve noticed over the last year my legs are starting to feel weak. I used to be able to squat down on a knee and stand up fairly easy but now i can barely push my self up.

I always thought CIDP was just peripheral (feet and hands) but do others on here notice their upper legs are weak or weaker.

Thankyou !! Ericc……

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Eric, yes, it started in the lower legs for me but eventually progressed to upper legs, lower arms, then upper arms, then face and trunk. Now that the acute phase is over the relapses tend to target the muscles I use more often, like my quadriceps, biceps and triceps… or maybe I only notice it there more because there is more damage in the other areas. At any rate, yes, my upper thighs are also involved. Sorry to hear you’re getting new symptoms at this late of a date… maybe you should give your doctor a call and make sure you’re not relapsing or having a fresh attack?

Julie

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for the info Jule and do you have CIDP and not GBS as i’ve always been progressive and not relaspsing although it’s extremely slow to progress over the years. I seen my Neuro last Nov 2007 and i told him how they are slowly feeling weaker and after his EMG/NCV testing he confirmed.

I just though that this was a peripheral disease but i was just reading the posts on here about Power Wheel Chairs so i think that answered along with your answer.

Thanks again Julie……
      Ericc

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 4:49 pm

Eric,
      I have CIDP but not really a typical case according to my neuro as most people with CIDP don’t have facial or autonomic involvement, that more typically goes with GBS and it’s variants, but the timeline and remainder of my symptoms are more like typical CIDP. But if there is one thing I’ve learned about this family of diseases is that they have NOT spent enough money or time in research on the different variations of CIDP. My CIDP is relapsing/remitting progressive… meaning I’ll get worse then better but overall without treatment I go downhill. The IVIg seems to be putting a hold on the progress right now so we’ll just keep on keeping our fingers crossed. By peripheral nervous system disease they only mean that it typically attacks the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord but it can attack any part of your limbs and trunk and still be called a peripheral nervous system disease. When you start getting problems with your internal organs, your eyes and face then they like to throw different variations at you but CIDP is basically a peripheral disease vs. MS which is a CNS disease. There is no part of my body that has been left untouched so far, except my brain and spinal cord – small favors huh? HA HA HA!

Take care Eric and feel free to send me a Private Message if you have questions you don’t want to ask in public.

Julie

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Thanks again Julie…..o.k. i see what your saying by peripheral vs CNS. By autonomic do you mean Urine or Bowel functions with CIDP. Although super slow compared to ALS i’m starting to wonder since mine has been 95% motor to 5% sensory if our disease is simular to it.

Anyway i’m on all these sites/forums like the MS and ALS sites along with ours (CIDP) as i do see research moving forward with all the Stem Cells and Phase-III drugs in clinical trials. I was just reading on the MDA site (mda.org) about how researchers in Italy have for the first time slowed/stopped ALS in a small clinical trial (44 participants) with Lithium as there is now a buzz about this as larger trials are now on the fast track.

Also was interesting last night to watch on the CBS Evening News about using our own Cells grown in a lab and can they now not only growing any Organ but also are transplanting them now without using Embryo’s. Tonight is Part-2 about these futuristic medicines so i’ll check it out.

Again thanks so much and i appreciate the PM offer.

Ericc…..

• February 7, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Hi Ericc,
      Do you currently receive ivig for your cidp? If so, perhaps there is a new flare up (demylienation) occurring and a loading dose of ivig followed by closer interval maint. doses might be warranted.
      Good luck,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• February 7, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Yet another thought, I remember reading on this sight that others with the progressive variant do not always recognize events on a daily or even monthly time line, but more like, ” wow, I used to be able to do that last year ” kind of thing. So perhaps your observation just reached that ah ha moment. I would definateley ask the doc for additional ivig. Also, I do not know how old you are or how long you have been on ivig, or what your thoughts on other drugs are, but maybe a combination of treatments could be heklpful inhalting the progression. Some on this site have gone into remission so to speak with certain drugs.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 6:51 pm

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom] I remember reading on this sight that others with the progressive variant do not always recognize events on a daily or even monthly time line, but more like, ” wow, I used to be able to do that last year ” kind of thing. So perhaps your observation just reached that ah ha moment. [/QUOTE]
      Hey Dawn……thats it exactly ……..as it’s so slow to progress sometimes i’m guessing as to when new weakness occurs. Its been since Aug 1996 since my first symptom after a jog in the park with my girlfriend and the next day my feet and ankles had slight weakness and t’s been progressive since. I’m 44now as i had just turned 33 when i was struck.

The first 5 to 6 years of this i had no health insurance as i worked in housing construction so no IVIG as it was around $8,000 a month for treatments twice weekly so i said forget it as how could i afford that and now after 11 plus years my neuro said it wouldn’t matter after this many years the damage is done so i have never taken IVIG.

Since i’m a 4 year veteran back in the Navy 1980-1984 i can apply for the VA health care and see if they offer IVIG treatments although i will be in the back of the line behind the Iraqi vets and the retired vets which i totally understand and agree.

But yeah very slow progressively……..

Thanks again Dawn….
      Ericc.

• February 7, 2008 at 7:43 pm

ERICC!!!!
      So NOT true! The doc is WRONG!!!!! IVIG CAN STILL help cidp, it is as you said PROGRESSIVE, ACTIVE, A CONTINUAL demylienation. SIGN UP AT THE VA!!!!!!!!! Youe deserve it, we owe you! Ask a congressman to help you get to the front, I bet you would not have to wait due to the nature of the illness and the noticed progression, as your recent ncv indicated. There is another person on the site, a friend of mine, Lameka, a very nice lady. She too was in the Navy SOME TIME AGO, and she was offered ivig. PM her, I know she will help. I will call her tonight to leave you a private message.

You must have a mild case, as the progression seems slow, to have gone all of those years w/out treatment. Perhaps the sooner you can get ivig, you will see a marked improvemnt. Thanks for serving and take advantage of what you have coming!! Remember, this is an election year, see if any candidates are going to be in your town, slip them a note, shake their hand and ask, beg, whatever. I bet it would be great P.R., (vet helps vet get care Mccain) Hilary helps vet get care, Obama changes the way vets get care. Who cares who helps you, try them all!! In the end if you could get what you need, that is all that matters!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• February 7, 2008 at 8:01 pm

ERICC!!!!
      So NOT true! The doc is WRONG!!!!! IVIG CAN STILL help cidp, it is as you said PROGRESSIVE, ACTIVE, A CONTINUAL demylienation. SIGN UP AT THE VA!!!!!!!!! Youe deserve it, we owe you! Ask a congressman to help you get to the front, I bet you would not have to wait due to the nature of the illness and the noticed progression, as your recent ncv indicated. There is another person on the site, a friend of mine, Lameka, a very nice lady. She too was in the Navy SOME TIME AGO, and she was offered ivig. PM her, I know she will help. I will call her tonight to leave you a private message.

You must have a mild case, as the progression seems slow, to have gone all of those years w/out treatment. Perhaps the sooner you can get ivig, you will see a marked improvemnt. Thanks for serving and take advantage of what you have coming!! Remember, this is an election year, see if any candidates are going to be in your town, slip them a note, shake their hand and ask, beg, whatever. I bet it would be great P.R., (vet helps vet get care Mccain) Hilary helps vet get care, Obama changes the way vets get care. Who cares who helps you, try them all!! In the end if you could get what you need, that is all that matters!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2008 at 12:11 am

Ericc,

It really doesnt sound as if your neuro knows much about CIDP, is there a possibility you could find someone else? There is so much that can be done for you. Dawn is right, if you are able to sign up for the VA, do that and get the care you need.

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2008 at 6:47 am

[QUOTE=ERICC]Thanks again Julie…..o.k. i see what your saying by peripheral vs CNS. By autonomic do you mean Urine or Bowel functions with CIDP. Although super slow compared to ALS i’m starting to wonder since mine has been 95% motor to 5% sensory if our disease is simular to it.

Ericc…..[/QUOTE]

Hi Eric,
      Yes, by autonomic I mean urine, bowels, blood pressure – and interestingly the production of tears, all that stuff we take for granted because we don’t have to think about it, though not our heart rate fortunately – that has it’s own control system. One easy way to tell if your autonomic system has been affected is by measuring the change in your blood pressure when you are sitting, then after you stand up. If your blood pressure drops more than a couple of points then you have something called orthostatic hypotension, a hallmark of autonomic involvement and that means you have to be careful when you get out of bed, or stand after sitting for awhile so you don’t pass out as all your blood rushes to your feet. It hasn’t been that big of a deal for me because I’ve always had low blood pressure so it’s no change to get up slowly etc. The lack of production of tears is also no big deal, I’ve got this gooey gel I put in my eyes and that keeps the tear ducts from clogging up and giving me styes. My bowels and bladder continue to have difficulties functioning normally but it’s not like I need Depends or am too embarrased to go out in public.

For the most part my CIDP was slow growing – it took about 18 months to go from feeling a little numbness in my foot to feeling a lot of numbness over 90% of my body but it had a cascade effect – the worse I got the faster I got worse, if that makes any sense. That last week before the ICU I went from just my arms and legs being weak and numb to being paralyzed and unable to breathe, it was so fast one day I could trace the progression from one side of my face to another in about 3 hours.

I think the motor vs. sensory is probably an individual thing for CIDP patients, some folks have no sensory involvement, others have primarily sensory and not motor, some are mixed. They are both bad, neither is preferable.

I agree that you need treatment, if your symptoms are getting worse, no matter how slowly, then you need treatment to keep from getting permanent damage. Others have given you great ideas on nabbing politicians etc. for help with the VA, the only thing I would add is to put together a “press package” for yourself with a brief history of your illness, a textbook definition of CIDP and what you need in terms of support from them. It wouldn’t hurt to emphasize what you have done for your country, we owe you this treatment and you deserve it.

Take care and HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!

Julie

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2008 at 9:16 am

Dawn, Ali and Julie…..thanks for your postings as i really do appreciate the advice and all. I have called the VA and i’m recieving the application in the mail and will get that going. It’s incredible that IVIG is so expensive. Even people with MS can just take shots at home i.e. Avonex and at a fraction at what we pay. I also see that there are clinical trials for the oral versions going on for MS as in the future for them no IVIG or shots . I did see in the NIH clinical trials for CIDP that they have trials for MS drugs for us so we’ll see what happens.

I didi ask my Neuro about MMN as mine has always been a motor neuropathy but he said that he was looking in the blood test for certain antibodies that didn’t show up. Also said the very high protein in my spinal fluid from the spinal tap and lastly being a Symmetrical (both feet and hands) which is more CIDP than MMN which is more Asymmetrical.

Anyway thanks again everyone and also for the nice words etc…..
      Ericc

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Ericc

It sounds like your CIDP acts like mine. It has been a slow constant progression. I have not had a “relapse” in the sense that I have had an acute phase, it has always been slow and progressive.

I first had numb toes in 1989. I was 31, born in ’58. The neuro at the time had no other diagnosis than peripheral neuropathy, and no treatment other than reduce stress. In 1993 I went back for further studies. Another EMG and they said it had gotten a bit worse, but not much. Things progressed bit by bit, and in 1999 I decided to get a diagnosis. It had gotten worse.

I was finally diagnosed in late ’99. I started prednisone, imuran, etc. Neither one gave me back what I had lost. In 2001 I changed jobs and got into a bad situation. In 2003 I started a business, and in 2004 I was on SS disability.

As far as the neuropathy goes, yes it started in the feet, and the overwhelming problem was sensory. My feet got pretty numb, and then they got weaker. It took a while for the CIDP to progress up past my knees, but it has now. My feet are more completely numb, and my thighs are involved peripherally. Which means you can pull hair out, but if you hit me I will feel the impact and the pressure. I won’t feel what hit me, just that something did.

I do have hand involvement, increasing more and more over the years. Like I said, it started out sensory, and has progressed to the point where muscular involvement is added. I was a big strong guy, so I still have strength, but I am down 50% of what I had.

Like I say, it sounds like yours and mine are following a similar path, being slowly progressive.

I have been off the forum for a little while, but I will start checking back for you if I can help at all. Let me know

Dick Schonewolf

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm

my journey with cidp seems very similar to yours. I started experiencing numbness in my feet in 2000, after a viral infection in 1999. I was dx with a mild case of cidp in 2003. Not much changed over the last 5 years. I have not been on any meds.
      Last summer I started noticing a change in my legs. The numbness had moved up from my feet and calves, and was now in my thighs. It really became pronounced by December. My legs now feel very fatigued all of the time. I also have noticed that I am feeling the same fatigue in my arms. No numbness or tingling, just a tightness and fatigue.
      I had an EMG this week and the Neuro said I had some atrophy in my feet. Its scary because it all happened so slowly, that I can’t really tell when it started getting worse. I havent experienced a lot of pain, just the fatigue. I have a LP scheduled later this month, then hopefully I can get started on IVIG.
      Grace to all,
      Charles

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2008 at 11:17 am

Thanks Dick S for weighing in on this. Yeap this had definately been a slow journey with this disease. I guess it’s good in that sense in that it’s buying us time with all these Stem Cells and other Futuristic Medicines in Clinical Trials as i type here.

Infact this year 2008 a couple of Biotechs are starting Stem Cells clinical trials for ALS, Parkinson’s and Spinal Cord Paralysis and they are ”Neuralstem” and ”Geron”. So lets hope these and other trials advance as they are slowly getting there.

Thanks again for the offer of help and advice and do take care.

P.S. To Charles….just to say thanks for your post and response about your slow progressive CIDP like some of us and to offer you best wishes also.

Ericc…..

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm

ERICC — I’m not sure where you are located, but my former neurologist is now with a VA hospital and I would HIGHLY reccommend him. He diagnosed by CIDP, is a fantastic doctor who is creative and willing to listen. He left private practice for the VA a couple of years ago. If you want his info, PM me — good luck!

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Hi Kat….Thanks for informing about the VA doc that you like. I’m in Albuquerque, New Mexico for now.

Ericc.

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2008 at 1:48 pm

I”ll jump in here too with Eric, Charles and Dick. I too have had a slowly progressing numbness which started in about August 2006 with a feeling like there was a pad or wooden block under the balls of my feet when I was running. By the end of ’06 I had numbness in my toes and then about 9 months of tests to finally conclude that I have IgM MGUS which is a variant of CIDP.
      I read the forum often and cannot get over the pain and difficulty of others. Like Julie who I highly admire for braving the pain and misery of CIDP while reaching out to help others!
      With my form of CIDP, there is no pain. Just a slow steady increase in numbness and weakness. My fingers now are numb and it comes up my legs to the knees. I can’t run anymore and small things which require the sensory nerves seem to reveal themselves…like trying to stand in the shower with my eyes closed, or trying to feel the rough spots when sanding wood, etc etc. My family would shoot me for saying this but even picking my nose isn’t what it used to be.
      The treatment I am receiving is Rituxan which is apparently less expensive than IVIG. But it depends on what your doctors come up with in their final diagnosis whether they prescribe Rituxan or not.
      I just thought I would mention this variant in case that is what you have. There are a couple others here on the forum with the same thing (see the thread CIDP – Rituxan Treatment? at [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204[/url]
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Hi Eric,
      Yes, I am now experiencing the alterated sensation (numbness, etc) above my knees (it stopped just below the knees for years).
      I started with numbs toes about 8 years ago. My face is also affected and burns & aches (trigeminal nerve) and I have a really annoying tremor in my jaw! I also have autonomic involvement.
      I can’t get up if I am sitting on the floor – I have to grab on to something (chair, human etc) and pull myself up.
      Also, from the waist down – I feel as if I weigh a ton! Totally out of context of my actual weight which is 53 kgs.
      At least you know you are not alone – If that is any comfort!
      Best wishes,
      Kazza