Does Anyone have a high Interleukin 2?

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Dells Mom asked me to post this question, her computer isn’t working at the moment.

Dell had this blood work, his range is : Normal- 190-570. The test result as of today was 1600. She would like to know is this normal for CIDP or GB?

Does anyone else have a high range?

If anyone can help her, I will call her and let her know your answers.

Trish

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Here is that link I also emailed to you:

[COLOR=Blue]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleukin_2
      [COLOR=Black]
      Cut and paste it in a browser,it has more links and some good information.

I also noticed this on that page:

[/COLOR][/COLOR][I]”Many of the immunsuppressive drugs used in the treatment of autoimmune diseases such as corticosteroids, and organ transplant rejection cyclosporin, tacrolimus work by inhibiting the production of IL-2 by antigen-activated T cells. Others Rapamycin block IL-2R signaling, thereby preventing the clonal expansion and function of antigen-selected T cells.”

[/I]In my own non-medical/unqualified reading of it, it seems that the steroids/immunosuppresants aren’t inhibiting the production of IL-2 as they should in Dell. I didn’t call Lori and let her know about this because it was late. So if you talk to her before I do, please give her the information/links.

I hope that helps.

[COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 11:39 pm

Trish,

Tell lori I went through all of Abby’s medical testing done at Mayo and couldn’t find anything that even mentioned interleukin 2. I spoke with someone who was not sure but thought it may be a test to check on what type of variate of CIDP Dell has.(they were not sure) I hope she heard from Dr. M tonight. I’m not sure what the name is of the test is that she just received.

Cindy:confused:

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 12:27 am

Cindy,

I am at USA with Mason right now. I talked to Dr M in admitting at 345,and told him what Dells range was. He asked me if I wanted Mason tested for this too. They only test on the 2nd and 4th tuesday.

I also asked him if he had called Lori back, he said not yet. Lori left me a message at 730, she still had not heard from him. He might have emailed her, he doesn’t know her puter is not working. e

Thanks Jeremy, when Mason goes to sleep I am going to look that up. It is 1130, he is still awake. He has been having nightmares, hates to sleep. Dr M ordered something to help him sleep. They pass meds out at 8-9. We just got ours. He is sitting here singing. LOL It is better than him crying all night.

Thanks Yall

Trish

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 12:46 am

Your welcome Trish, I will give you a call later today. I hope you get some rest tonight. Talk to you soon, take care, call anytime if you need to.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 10:56 am

Jeremy,

Hey, I finally went to sleep at 4am. It gets harder and harder to sleep here.
      I went to the Wikipedia wedb site. That is way above my head, I need layman terms. I didn’t see were it talks about high and low range.
      We are waiting for Dr M he is on his way. Maybe we will get to go home early.

If you talk to Lori, tell her to call his room 405. My cell phone has one bar. I left the charger in the car. Thanks

Bye

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 11:01 am

Trish,

I passed along the room info. to Lori. I will look for a more laymans explanation for you and let you know. I hope you guys are having a good day. I will talk to you soon.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 11:05 am

This link has a better explanation:
      [COLOR=Blue]
      wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/interleukin_2.htm[/COLOR] (cut and paste)

There are some more links listed at that site that also have more information. I hope that helps.

Jerimy

• March 20, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Hi Trish,
      I don’t know if you remember me, we spoke on the phone once. I remember you mentioned Mason’s Doctors questioning cidp dx. Anyway, maybe you and Lori can check this out, you because of the questionable dx. and Lori because of the question of leukons. Refsums disease and I found info on it in the ninds site. Good luck to you guys! Also thanks for the post re headaches, vomitting. I wonder if Kevin does get aseptic meningitis from ivig? Actually, I wonder about tons of things, I’m still not even sure if we have cidp or aidp! Well good luck to both of you and your beautiful boys!
      Dawn:) 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 5:48 pm

I’m working on my mom’s computer right now. She lives about 1/2 mile from me.

After searching yesterday, I typed in CIDP + Interleukin 2 and came up with something interesting. The study indicated higher numbers in patients with CIDP, GBS and MS, more so than any other neurological disorder.

The dr. sent me the email but did not go into explaining the test result. He only stated he knew the results were going to be high. I will talk with him when we meet on Thursday for Dell’s weekly treatment.

Dell seems to be doing pretty good on these weekly treatments. He is stronger but I’m cautiously optimistic. I don’t get too excited anymore, I’ve had too many let downs with this disease.

I’ve called Trish a few times at the hospital, don’t know if they have been released, couldn’t get in touch with her.

Thanks again for your replys.

Lori

• March 21, 2007 at 11:58 am

HI Lori,
      Speaking of let downs, Kevin recieved his first ivig monday, Tuesday morn., 6hrs after completion of mon. ivig, he was very sick until 3pm. I suspect aseptic meningitis as he fits the profile. Anyway, grip is majorly stronger. Well today, 8 days later, his grip is not as strong. He was playing basketball and football after school until 7:30 possibly overdoing it? Does this mean the ivig just gave him a little boost, and he is suffering from gbs resuduals, ( since ivig does not help gbs) or do you also see drops in stregnth after ivig? Is this what you are refering to when you say let downs? Thanks Dawn

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Dawn –

If Kevin had aseptic meningitis he would be VERY sick. I believe one of the signs of aseptic meningitis is a rash usually on the hands. Does he have that? How about a high fever? If you suspect that he does have aseptic meningitis then you need to contact his dr ASAP.

Some people get flu like symptoms after an IVIG treatment. Emily did in the beginning. She had the shakes, HORRIBLE stomach pains, sweating, extreme headaches & aches & pains all over. I started giving her Motrin as soon as her infusion was done & that stopped the headaches. Now we hydrate better & we haven’t had anymore problems. Emily drinks water before, during & after her infusion. I give her Gatorade sometimes too (popsicles count as a liquid too). She also gets a Gas-X pill halfway through her infusion & then again before bed on infusion night. If we don’t do the gas pills then she has a HORRID stomach ache.

I would think that if Kevin had GBS & was just suffering from residuals that the IVIG wouldn’t make his strength better. Try to have him take it easy & not into so many sports. I KNOW it’s hard. It’s hard for Emily too and it sucks, really it does, but he may be pushing himself too hard. He needs to rest. Maybe get him a new video game or something to keep him busy. When Emily is tired she is slightly weaker. Her grip isn’t as good & she has trouble climbing into my bed. In the morning though, she’ll be good as new.

Make sure he eats a balanced diet (it’s hard with kids sometimes, I know) and that he gets LOTS of rest. Are you giving him a multi-vitamin everyday? Make sure you really push the water. It’s important that he stay hydrated all the time – not just on infusion days.

I have to run to go let my mom’s new puppy out. I swear that thing is taking up SO much of my time lately. It’s almost like it’s my dog, LOL. But Emily loves it so it’s worth it.

Take care.
      Kelly