Does anyone go to a gym?

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2010 at 4:24 am

Hi, Im finding the muscles in the back of my legs are becoming weaker and weaker and my legs are changing shape. Does anyone go to a gym to do exercises to strengthen these muscles? I was thinking I could do some gentle bike exercises to build them up again.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2010 at 12:33 pm

i go to the y 3 times a week. I do the recombent stepper i also work with my arms. i was doing water exercise but am having some bladder issues going to be starting IVIG soon.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I went to a gym even though I am in a wheelchair. I worked with a personal trainer. I really benefited from this but I can’t go back because I can no longer afford the cost or the expense of paying for transportation.

The important thing is to “listen” to your fatigue and “obey” it. Don’t push!

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2010 at 9:29 pm

The first 5 years of my dx and IVIG therapy I was going to the gym for 2-3 hours 4-6 times per week. I was doing both weight training and cardio, but was quite the athlete before becoming symptomatic.

However, the last 2 years despite my training and continuing monthly IVIG infusions my gym sessions have greatly declined, due more to fatigue than anything else. I have become somewhat weaker too, from CIDP sx’s in general also.

Now, I do what I can whenever I can. I still have decent (good) muscle development, but probably related more to my previous condition and years of being an athlete than anything else. I don’t lift weights as often as I should and don’t do as much cardio — for as long or as intense as I used to.

Right now for me, it is more of a motivation issue combined with my decompensation.

If your starting because you are noticing changes and weakness I would suggest asking your dr what type of program would be appropriate and if the gym is ok, find a trainer that can work within your limitations.

• April 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm

There is an exercise room in the complex where I live. I started the treadmill and the recumbent bike very slowly and slowly increased the amount of my workouts.
      My muscles took such a beating from CIDP that I only exercised every other day. Just now I am wanting to go two or more days in row, but I am careful to rest when needed.
      My age is a factor also, because as we age we loose muscle mass and that affects balance, but exercise for seniors is especially important.
      Exercise also helps the ligaments and tendons and the joints to keep aligned.
      I only basically walk for exercise. I walk around town with my walker.
      Exercise is great for the circulation. Moving is the best anti-age medicine for our bodies, but we have to do what is best for us individually.

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2010 at 5:37 am

Thanks for all your replies. I havent been back on the forum since I posted this question. I have now been going to the gym for the last 4 weeks and am up to 3 days per week. I do everything they have to offer in moderation for 30 min, then swim laps for 30min. Im feeling so much stronger and fitter….it may only be in my head but I feel like I’m doing something. I love the swimming!

• May 28, 2010 at 9:47 am

Jet,

I go to the gym regularly and have an extensive routine working upper body, lower body, and cardio. I swam regularly while I was working for a company that had a pool at work, but I was sacked.

I also continue to do the physical therapy exercises that helped me recover my motor functions.

When I begin feeling fatigue or numbness, I’ve found that exercise helps with both.

I urge caution, don’t over do it, but doing anything you can to maintain muscle tone will ultimately be beneficial.

I’ve visited Perth, Freemantle, and Darwin, but not Skennar’s head. The people of Australia were some of the warmest, friendlies folks I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Gary

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

[QUOTE=codystanley]I went to a gym even though I am in a wheelchair. I worked with a personal trainer. I really benefited from this but I can’t go back because I can no longer afford the cost or the expense of paying for transportation. The important thing is to “listen” to your fatigue and “obey” it. Don’t push![/QUOTE]
      [I]
      Liz, expense is my downfall as well. I would love to do the arthritis water exercises offered by the YMCA but that’d completely clobber my budget. I might look into buying a treadmill or exercycle — used. Does anyone have anything to offer about either of those?

I picked up a ‘bug’ a couple weeks ago. I was asleep for two days, total fatigue. Tea and toast the 3rd day. Nothing to eat and mainly sleep the 4th day. Then appetite returned. But here I am … 11 days later and this is the first morning I’ve wakened feeling refreshed. Two nights ago had really nasty sensations in my legs, bit like an old cast iron church bell that’d been rung and then reverberated over — and over — and over — ad nauseum! [/I]

[I]So it would appear that my immune system isn’t going to have anything to do with garden variety ‘bugs’ … it’s going to keep it’s attention on ME. ๐Ÿ˜ก [/I]

• Anonymous
      May 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Just a thought…one of the best exercises for strengthening calves is to stand on a step, with your toes on the step, and your heels hanging off, and raise and lower yourself…bringing your heels above and below the step height…make sense?

If balance/coordination is an issue, you could also do it with something as small as a 2″ board, laid on it’s side…that would give you 2″ of room to start with. You can do as much or as little as you can stand…(no pun intended, I guess…:rolleyes: )

Plus, its cheap, easy, and can be done anywhere there is a step or raised surface.

All that said, I do understand that with many neurological issues, raising or lowering with your toes is difficult, if not impossible. So, please take this advice with that caveat in mind. If you can do it, it’s a great, simple exercise for leg strength. “The Governator” (Arnold Schwarzenegger sp?) credited it with helping him win his first Mr. Universe…many others struggled with defining their calves and lower leg muscles.

But, like I said…just a thought. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2010 at 11:01 am

[I]a possibility, Elmo … thanks![/I] ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2010 at 12:04 am

After moving to the Pacific Northwest last year we finally found a YMCA with a good water aerobics program called Silver Sneakers. My wife and I are going there twice a week. I am in a wheelchair and find that this program is giving me more strength in my legs and arms and helps me with balance. Balance has been a problem for me because I am lacking all touch sensation in my feet and have damage to my proprioceptor nerves. The buoancy of water helps me learn to use my body for balancing.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Hi Rocky

My experience with a treadmill is that whilst it is great to control the speed and terrain for your walk, I suffered enormously the next day with having trainers on and the impact of walking on my feet.

The neuropathic pain in my feet the next day is quite severe. It doesn’t show up at the time, it is a delayed reaction, apparently quite common.

Dr. Parry recommended water based exercise, like aqua jogging — easy and effective, rather than impact.

Also, this Zumba stuff is quite good. Here where I live, instructors are offering free classes for elderly people and people with disabilities — and altering the program to fit. So, people in chairs, etc. still get some benefit from the exercises.

I have tried it and it is really fun, and definitely gives you a workout. Don’t know if you can find something similar where you are….

I also use resistance bands (very cheap) and you can do strengthening exercises for your legs as part of a routine.

Cheers and good luck

Debs

Good luck.

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2010 at 11:21 am

[QUOTE=Debs]Hi Rocky

My experience with a treadmill is that whilst it is great to control the speed and terrain for your walk, I suffered enormously the next day with having trainers on and the impact of walking on my feet.

Dr. Parry recommended water based exercise, like aqua jogging — easy and effective, rather than impact.

Also, this Zumba stuff is quite good. Here where I live, instructors are offering free classes for elderly people and people with disabilities — and altering the program to fit. So, people in chairs, etc. still get some benefit from the exercises.

I have tried it and it is really fun, and definitely gives you a workout. Don’t know if you can find something similar where you are….

I also use resistance bands (very cheap) and you can do strengthening exercises for your legs as part of a routine.

Cheers and good luck

Debs
      Good luck.[/QUOTE]

[I]Many thanks for the tips, Debs. I will cross treadmill off my list. That leaves stationary bicycle … a possibility? Everyone suggests water workouts, my doc included, but the least expensive I can find run $50/month, which might not sound like much, but my medical expenses and those of my 24-yr-old kitty average about $450-$500/month. My budget is very tight.

My daughter-in-law and granddaughter-in-law do the Zumba and absolutely love it. But there, too, comes the monthly fee.

Difficult to do walks when it’s already 80-degrees F. @ 8a.m. That works in Winter here.

Phooey! :p

Rocky ๐Ÿ™‚ [/I]

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I used to go to one,but when my CIDP got worse a few years ago i quit. I do walk on the beach several times a week ,when weather permits or the park even if its slow.
      I also try to go up and down the stairs in my building when the weather is not good for walking outside.

And for many years I’ve also done DVD s at home which are easy in my body. I like leslie sansone,which is the lady that created the walk at home program. Her exercises are not fast ,I can keep up with it and it helps me a lot for energy and strenght. she is really good at explaining what s coming up,easy to follow. She has many dvd’s, you can find them anywhere.

I’m even doing it here while waiting for transplant, it helps me relax. Look it up maybe it can help you too.

Rossana

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 3:15 am

Hi Rocky

If money is really tight….a stationary bike is good, cause you don’t get the same level of impact as a treadmill. I used one for awhile and that didn’t cause as much pain.

Another idea is a ball. You can do a remarkable number of exercises with them! If you used a bike and a resistance band, and a ball (which is really good for core fitness as well)….that might help you.

Take care and good luck to you…

Debs

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 1:37 am

A stationary bike is wonderful! We have one at the weight room in our development, plus you can often find them for very little at second hand stores. I found a peddle “wheel” at my favorite second hand store – you place it in front of your favorite chair and peddle while you sit – for 10 bucks. Very worth it – I am building up my legs very well. I had to stop Physical Therapy because even with insurance it was $40. per visit and a month of visits was like another car payment. the $10.00 felt a lot better. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2010 at 5:25 am

Hi everyone, well i tried gym and swimming for a month but gave up the gym bit…too expensive. I am now swimming laps 3 days a week for an hour at a time. My leg and arm muscles have strengthened a great deal and I can now standing on my toes…3 secs max!! Still cant walk far but the swimming sure makes me feel good.
      2nd day of spring and 28 degrees today..looks like we are in for a great summer in Oz.
      Cheers Jet

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Working out is getting tougher. Lift weights at least 4x a week. Starting to swim more. Cardio is huge and can no longer do treadmill or bike. It is tough at times but if we don’t the atrophy will hit hard

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I go to the gym six days a week and roughly two hours per day.

Weights three days and cardio all six days.

I have more energy now than I did before I was diagnosed with CIDP as a result of getting regular exercise.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2010 at 9:20 am

I work out in the gym regularly. I have to be careful what I use because of no feelings in my hands though. I also take a power up drink that aids in the strength and recovery process.

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2010 at 5:57 am

One a week I go to pilates. Is 60 minutes and it takes the whole week
      to recover my legs from the pain and spacity I get therer, but I think is necesary for the legs and arms no to get stiff.
      I also go to physioteraphy every saturday another hour.

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Just a reminder that in the newsletter I just got the beginning of October 2010 there is a large article written on exercise!

I agree the water exercise is great but very easy to over do it and when you get out the gravity takes a toll!

Check with the hospitals in your area some are building health complexes and can work with you on rates for the month. I paid under $80 a month and I could go 7 days a week and for any time from 5 AM to 10 PM. They had basketball courts, racketball and volleyball. All the exercise equipment and weight training! They had a regular pool (84 degrees) and one that was strictly rehab pool set at 94 degrees. Steam room and Sauna and hot tub. I was not able to do those after GBS because my body does not do a good job of regulating heat! I got chilled in the regular pool too! They worked with me and I did well in conjuctions with my PT and OT. Then I got a personal trainer they supplied for free to helpl me go thru the facility and make sure I did not injure myself. It was easier for me to take showers there too! Flat floor and seat in the shower! Something to check into!

I know there are also charities and clubs in communities that will sponsor people with limited incomes. Don’t give up and keep checking because situations do change! ๐Ÿ˜Ž