Does anyone else take chemo

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 10:53 pm

and experience a feeling of flu like symptoms? Esp. the day after? I was feeling really good for the past week and a half and yesterday after taking my meds. I felt like crap again. It seems to hit me about 4 in the afternoo on the first day and then on Tuesday I can’t get going, I sleep most of the day and I feel like I am getting pneumonia. My throat is scratchy and my chest feels tight. I just wondered if anyone else feels like this and for how long. I guess it makes sense that one wouldn’t feel great all the time when taking this stuff. I am just a little bummed because I was feeling better after so long. At least I know it’s possible now. Thanks
      Linda

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 11:14 pm

I don’t personally take it but my fil took rituxan and felt punk for 2 days afterwards and then would feel good until his next dose. Side effects vary for everyone, just know it will get better, stick it out and keep us updated on how it works for you.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Hi Linda

My sister is on chemo for lung cancer (she doesn’t smoke) that originally was
      started as a tumor that exploded on her spleen (removed) that went to her
      ovaries (hysterectomy) and ended up in the lungs. She has the new type,
      the one where you don’t have hair loss, and she always feel drained after a
      4 hour drip…the next day is worse, she’s weak, feels like she has the flu and
      is achey all over. I know that these are different chemos, but they burn
      your cells either way. Chemo is a chemical poison.

I would say that you are feeling like that because it has that affect. I do
      wish you well…my sister, the day after looks really sick from it.

Best wishes…

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 11:51 pm

I had monthly infusions of cytoxan for 9 months to wipe out my immune system back in 2003. I was premedicated with Zofran so I was never nauseated, but I did lose my hair for about a year & a half total. It did arrest my CIDP; for that I am very grateful. I guess I can’t really answer your question as to if I felt sick, as I had been so sick with my CIDP for most of 2002-2004 that I wouldn’t have noticed. I was a quad in a power chair who slept most of the time anyways. It is almost like I cannot even remember those 3 years; actually I wish I could totally erase them.

But I think you are talking about the chemo drugs that are taken orally, that would be a totally different type of experience.
      Pam

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Thanks Cheryl, Miami Girl and Pam for your input. Today is wednsday and I feel like my throat is less scratchy but I still feel achey and nauseous. I did try and walk my sweet dog a bit by the lake but now I need to take a nap. I felt like my knees were going to buckle. Oh well. I know it could be worse so I will not complain. Thanks again.