Does any one with CIDP find it more difficult to cope with stress?

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 5:44 am

Hi everyone
      Since coming down with CIDP a few years ago, I find it harder and harder to cope with any new stress that comes my way! Of course physical stress eg: viruses, overdoing things, etc always impacts on me, but now I tend to find things that wouldn’t have overly stressed me before CIDP now overwhelm me.
      Anyone else have this problem?
      Thanks
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 7:18 am

Kazza,

Without any doubt, for me any little problem became a huge rock in my way.:o

I used to be a very resolute person and there weren’t any problem I couldn’t cope with, but now it’s totally different, I’ve became a very coward person and sometime I feel ashamed myself.

My doctor told me I had to change my life and my way of thinking and try not stress at all. She insisted very much on it. She told me that any stress situation we’ll improved the pain and the weakness.

I think that one of the CIDP collateral effects it’s that we feel so weak and tired that a very simple think it becomes a problem.

I’ m learning take thinks one by one, and try to share problems with my family and friends, and when I have to face any stress situation, I remember myself that I am a sick person and must face situation with relax. Of course it’s difficult and sometimes I just come down, but that forms part of my life nowadays.

I hope I’ve helped you.

Bes wishes.

Lourdes

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 8:48 am

Same here Kazza, any significant stress completely ruins me for a few days. Residuals go crazy, I feel horrible. Would love a stress free life, can’t afford the house in the Bahamas yet though unfortunately 🙂

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 9:10 am

Stress definitely affects me more now than before I had cidp:o There is much research on the effects of having a serious disease such as a heart attack, stroke or polio (as my husband had a child) showing that emotions/stress are more prevelent. And, what we have is a major serious disease. I don’t feel I have good coping skills anymore. And, some days I’m great and some days I’m not!:mad:

This is a very frustrating disease but do the best you can every day and enjoy every day and…….take it one day at a time. I’ve found I cope better if I remember to take it one day at a time. 😀

Cathy

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 9:44 am

Yes, Stress Does Overwhelm Me And It’s More-so Now Because I Am In A Wheelchair And I Can Feel So Frustrated! We Can Get Up Against A Brick Wall! “i Can’t Do This Until I Can Do That And I Can’t Do That Unless I Can Do This”. I Think That’s Normal For People With Chronic Illnesses, But, So Far, I’ve Always Been Able To Bring My Stress And Frustration Under Control.

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Stress always affected me before. But then I learned I had ADHD (around the time I got my CIDP) and when I got the right medication for it the stress started to go away. Then this year BAM more problems with my hands more weakness in my body can’t do the jobs I could do before the CIDP, people at work being rude and wish I would apply for a disability pension that also includes management. So right now I am have a H ell of a time dealing with the stress. Hard time sleeping my eating pattern has change and other stuff.

People don’t accept us the way we are so we stop accepting ourself the way we are. Counseling is what I am starting to do again and hopefully this will help me deal with all the BS I deal with everyday.

Kazza get professional help to deal with the stress it will make a big difference in your life

Take Care

Sue

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I’m with Jerimy on the bahama house. Let’s pool our money together. A nice home in the hills in Scottsdale would be nice, too…or a trip to the carribean for a month or two or three…cold fruity cocktails or malt beverages would work…perhaps a private cabana and a pool boy to keep the drinks coming…or girl…depending on your preferences…
      ah, yes…just dreaming about it helps with stress.

Yes, stress makes me feel worse…weaker and more tired.

so, lets dream a little dream and wipe all the stress away, shall we. I wish it was so easy !

take care everyone.
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 8:10 pm

Kazza,
      I have noticed that it is getting more difficult to make a decision. Even something as simple as where and when to go on a vacation has become a major problem. What makes it worse I really don’t have much a variety to chose from based on what I can afford.

I just I’m going to have to put all the options in a hat and have someone put one out. 🙂

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2007 at 5:38 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences on coping with stress when you have a chronic illness.
      It really helps that others can offer support especially when they are going through the same thing. Unfortunately I don’t have as much support on the home front. When I came down with CIDP a few years ago I was quite sick – something which my now ex-husband didn’t plan on – so he left me – said it was too much for him – though I don’t think he even made as much as a cup of tea for me when I was at my worst – I still managed to do things for myself!
      Anyway, thanks guys for your words of wisdom and support.
      It’s greatly appreciated.
      Kazza – A problem shared is a problem halved.

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2007 at 10:16 am

I have a lot of stress in my life right now & it does affect how I feel. I am trying to deal with a mother-in-law who has severe dementia & really should be living in an Assisted Living place instead of an apartment. But my husband is an only child & prefers to do nearly everything for her to keep her in an apt. I deal with her 12-13 phone calls on a daily basis. I am also the only person who takes care of my 82 year old mother’s needs, as my two siblings don’t live nearby. We also help out our son who has spina bifida & lives in an apt. 4 blocks away from us. I take him grocery shopping (he is in a wheelchair), & I also do 95% of his wash & any cleaning that gets done in his apt.

How do I deal with all of this? By getting at least 10 hours of sleep a night. This helps me out tremendously, because without enough rest I am useless. If I can’t get the sleep on my own, I take half a Lortab at night to make sure I do sleep. Otherwise I am just too fatigued to help everyone out. How much I would like to retire down in Arizona or the Carribean, but we just have too many people here in MN who need us. Even getting away for a vacation (other than our summer cabin in the Voyageurs National Park), is difficult. But we are leaving in an hour to spend the weekend up there with our two sons. I just wish it were a warmer forecast for the weekend!

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2007 at 4:47 pm

Dear Kazza!

Try and find the thread “CAUSE OF CIDP” started by Chaya 09 07 2006 because the discussion also includes thoughts and experiences regarding the role stress may have played in even triggering CIDP.

Stress has been a topic in a lot of discussions on the forum – try the “Search” button on the dark blue line above, and you’ll find heaps of information, but narrow it down a bit, because the search for “stress” alone gives you 14 pages of threads!

Good luck!
      🙂 🙂 🙂

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I’m new at this, just found the site yesterday and signed up.

My CIDP started in May 2005. I am still healing and have discovered that stress is slowing the healing process down, so I’ve decided to just tune out things that bothered me before, and it works … most of the time. Hang in there!

Paul