Disability

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm

When is it time to start thinking about applying for disability? I can still walk, but stagger and almost fall. I cannot write more than just my name. I am lucky that I have worked with the same wonderful people for 30 years. They cover for me. I am an assistant principal in a private school so I cannot retire for another 6 years. How difficult is it to get disability? Any ideas will be appreciated.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm

[QUOTE=GH-CIDP]You can start thinking about anytime. The time to apply is when your doctor agrees that you are unable to work. Then you should be able to get state disability, if you have that, as soon as you are unable to work (but no earlier than your doctor’s diagnosis).

Social Security Disability Insurance can’t start until you have been disabled for five months, and is for permanent disability. It can be difficult to qualify for, but is easier if you are close to full retirement age. I was almost 64 when I applied for it, had just come out of a long hospitalization, and was already on state disability, and had no trouble qualifying.

SSDI is going to depend on your condition. I expect you will have to convince them that you are permanently disabled. Because of the variability of this condition, it’s not automatic.[/QUOTE]
      I do have short term and long term disability insurance at work. I am certainly not eager to give in to this disease. Some days I seem fine and other days I am almost useless.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Check your disability plans carefully. Some employers’ Short Term plans prevent you from returning to work in any capacity less than full former workload. What’s that language- ah, yes, something like this: “Return to work with no restrictions. Period. None.”

Sounds as if you won’t have that problem.

Some ‘Long’ Term Plans end after 5 years.

And, in the case of my Employer’s Long Term Plan, which had both a 5 year and, for more money, an age 65 provision, applying for Social Security Disability was a mandatory provision of receiving payment.

Well, an annual Doctor’s statement is also required, as was a Social Security Review of my case after a few years.

I don’t understand the 5 month wait. My SSDI payments began, effective to the day, retroactively (and, yes, I had to pay back the LTD Plan) to my initial date of LTD.

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

gh-cidp,

Thanks for the clarification.

As I stated in another post- facts, amazing aren’t they?

And, yep, I’m pretty sure, kinda-sorta that I also had that delay. Maybe my good excuse for not remembering is that I…… don’t have any good excuse.

Disability

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2007 at 10:40 am

[COLOR=”darkorchid”]HI I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK WITH GETTING DISABILITY SOCIAL SECURITY. I HAD GBS IN 2001 I SIGNED UP AND WAS TURNED DOWN. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO WORK SINCE THEN BUT IT IS REALLY HARD ON ME TO WORK FULL TIME. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK?

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2007 at 3:05 pm

I am to be getting my first check in about two weeks. keep applying and get your doctor to write a letter.

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2007 at 4:08 pm

what you doctor says has a big deal to do with your getting ssd or ssi get a lawyer that will help here where i live there is no way that they can understand that cidp id even something that could be considered dibilitating.

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2007 at 4:13 pm

Thanks. I Will. I Gave Up On Ss A Few Years Ago When I First Got Somewhat Better After The Gbs, I Kept Trying To Work And Have Lost Jobs Due To Not Being Able To Carry A Full Work Load. I Have Been Off Work Since December And I Now Realize That I Was In Misery Trying To Work Full Time. I Feel Alot Better Being Able To Rest When I Need To Thanks For The Encouragment 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2007 at 9:44 pm

I applied for Nate 2 mos after his diagnosis. They sent for info from his doctors, hospital, etc. He had no rejection, no problems at all.
      He got his first check 5 mos after I applied.
      If you get rejected by them, appeal it all the way, getting an attorney if you have to.
      You deserve to have help.
      Trudy, natesmom

Disability

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 8:38 am

Please PM me if you are receiving disability.

I have some questions that I can’t seem to get answers for.

Thanks

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 12:31 pm

I sent ya a PM Mike. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Jerimy