Different brands of IViG

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 2:24 pm

Have people had different reactions to different brands of IViG?

I had some nasty side effects from the IViG, and no improvement. The side effects are as disruptive as the CIDP itself.

Just wondering, should I ask my doctor to try a different brand?

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 2:37 pm

yeah Bill I would ask to try a different brand. The way it was explained to me is that the different manufacturers use different manufacturing processes. So because you have a reaction to one doesn’t mean you will to another.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 4:03 pm

Yes different brands can have different reactions. My first two infusions were with Flebogamma, and they were fine. My next infusion they used a different brand, and I had a relapse; not serious but noticeable. I then had two double size infusions of Flebgamma and shortened the time between infusion from four weeks to three for three sessions. I’m now back to infusion once every four weeks to three and am doing fine. To make sure, I always call the hospital pharmacy three days b/4 my scheduled infusion to make sure thay have my brand set aside for me, and I check the bottle b/4 anyone begins treatment.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 11:00 pm

There are two varieities of IVIG at the treatment centre that I used to go to:
      Gamunex (IVIG-C) from Bayer/Talecris and IVIG-S/D from Canadian Blood Services. These comes from two different refining processes. “S/D” means “solvent/detergent”, and “C” means “chromatography”. For a better explanation than that, you might want to ask a biochemist, because I’m not up to it.

In the S/D variety, traces of chemicals used in the refining process can apparently be left behind in the final product. This shouldn’t be harmful, but it may explain some reactions. I got a fever and shakes from this product, although the reaction went away within a few hours. On the other hand, another patient could only be given S/D because he reacted badly to the IVIG-C.

There is also variation between IVIG produced on different days, with different donors on the pool, so a reaction may only happen once with a particular product.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 7:49 pm

Bill,

I had success with the Bayer brand of IVIG for a few years. Then I became allergic to it! Went to the allergest and he identified something in it, that I was allergic to. He said don’t ever take it again, it will kill you!

He found that the Baxter brand worked OK. I got back on my feet again as I returned to the paralytic state I was in before IVIG was started as my treatment. I use Baxter’s Gamaguard.

When I started IVIG treatment The Bayer brand worked the best. Some IVIG serums come in a liquid or powder form. The liquid seems to work better for me, when I can get it. It’s ALL good, but some a little better.

• February 3, 2017 at 2:38 am

That’s is typically a side effect for you and maybe you are also allergy to it. Although, this brand is known and reliable, this might also not a brand for some because they more on acquiring side-effects.

Regards,
      Jade|eatmywords.com/services/business-name-ideas/?