Did anyone do electric shocks for PT?

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Hello everybody;

I have been reading a lot of your stories and I have not seen anybody talk about elictric shocks for PT.
      I had them for about two months, everyday for an hour, 20 seconds on, and 10 seconds to rest, it was very painfull I am not going to lie, but it worked amazing, I was in PT for two months and never been back (I was completly paralyzed for a month, even eyes and mouth), I have no problem walking or running, I am 100 %, no symptoms at all.

I hope this info can help somebody out there.

Maria

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 3:58 am

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this it’s been so long ago. But yes, I have had the ‘shocks’ for PT and I’ll be darned if it didn’t help. It’s been about three years now but from what I remember we were trying to get my right leg to move/overcome the foot drop. I think I had about three sessions before she cranked it up enough to leave a blister on my skin (a bit too much) but my leg finally moved and continued to be able to move after therapy was over. I can’t believe I forgot that, I’m going to have to call Melanie my therapist and see if she can hook me up again. I will say though that it took quite a bit of electricity to make my leg move – enough that I still have a scar three years later where it blistered me. We never had to use that strength again but it took a whole lot to get it to move the first time. Thanks Mariah for reminding me!

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 5:31 am

Have never had this done before. The only shocks I have had are those nasty ENG/NCV’s and that last one I had…. that Neurologist was rough. Think I will pass on that kind of treatment! Sounds like it hurts. Me and Pain don’t go to well together. Hugs

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 8:10 am

I get shocks on my back and neck…not sure if this is the same thing. They hook me up and turn up the dial and cover my back with warm blankets. it doesnt hurt tho, so I dont imagine it’s the same.

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 9:00 am

It is probably the same unit… I’m not sure what it is called, I know the portable one I had long ago was called a Tens Unit… but there are different strengths and different ways to use the machine. I believe you would use a lower strength for muscle issues (as they did with my back) with the contacts being on the muscles vs. a higher strength for nerve issues and the contacts being directly on top of the nerves. We were directly trying to stimulate the nerve as opposed to stimulating the muscle – assuming you have normal nerves stimulating the muscle isn’t that difficult whereas damaged nerves can be difficult to stimulate, as I’m sure we all know. At that time my right peroneal nerve as pretty badly damaged and only partially connected so it didn’t work all that well having only half an axon etc. The nerve stimulation (e.g. shocks) worked pretty well to wake up that nerve again, I know that’s not a medical term but that’s what it felt like. Normally it doesn’t hurt at all, feels a little like buzzing or nothing at all depending on how high you turn it. People also use them for pain, somehow it interferes with the pain stimulus and it can bring pain relief for awhile. That’s what I had the portable unit for – a couple of slipped disks many years ago. Anyway, I hadn’t really thought about it as ongoing therapy but if it works for you – go for it!

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 9:35 am

My two cents: I can’t think of what it was called either but I used to get it on my back as they were trying to strengthen my core muscles. The PT would apply it and turn up the amplitude till I could feel the sensation. It felt like the tingling going on elsewhere in the body. It supposedly stimulated muscle contractions at an astounding rate. The treatment would last about 1/2 hr but it would wipe out my body for the rest of the day. I could tell that the muscles were fatigued. At therapy they used it on backs, legs and arms. If you got blisters from it, I would question the velocity in which they were using, if we are describing the same thing. I have never heard of TENS units being used for such a treatment. I thought they were for pain control. At the time I did get a bit stronger and I do attribute this to assisting me.

• November 19, 2008 at 10:25 am

Tens unit?

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 10:29 am

i know what i get isnt a TENS unit. They were going to send me home with one of those but decided against it fearing I would burn myself from turning it up too high due to lack of sensation.

I’ve come to learn now that I have less sensation on the skin even on my back.

they have to turn it up pretty high…24 usually I think. I know the PT guy was kind of shocked at how high I need it to be before I feel anything.
      It’s several patches with wires that feels like you are getting stuck with pins and then it kind of also vibrates. It’s a strange thing but it helps my muscles to relax for a short time. I have a bulging disc at C5 and 6 and the pain goes down into my shoulder blade. I have huge knots in both shoulder blade areas.

I could see how they might “jump start” a nerve. I go again today, I will ask for at least the fifth time what the machine is called and maybe write it down so that I’ll remember !

I’ll ask it they use it for nerve stimulation, too. Interesting.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Yes, the tens!

All the chiropractors use them as well as PT technicians. Usually they are used to loosen up your muscles along with a hot or cold pack prior to lumbar adjustments or after PT where they don’t want a specific area to tighten up.

I was real close to shelling out and buying one last fall. I realized the effect in could have in keeping nerve chanells open. a real good one with lots of different setting can set you back a few bucks. you can Pulse them and set them for continuous stimulation. Turn it up high enough and body parts start floppin and jerkin.

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2008 at 4:37 am

Yes I remember well dumb neroligist stabed me with needles and didnt move. scratched head then hooked up these wires with alligator clipsto needles from this machine. turned dial one leg jumped a littile but other just said now what.so they un hooked the leg that jumped and truned up elec, on the one that didnt.and same now doc says hes not grounded and tells my wife hold other leg to ground. and they turn up elec, and same lol and mad and not getting it he grabs foot while wife holds leg and says hes grounded now. and turned up until red light comes on and guess what it took 40 to 45 seconds but leg jumped.AND HE SAID THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF THESE DOCS.do they really think that we are stupied???:D this was in 05 and it was doc parnell in richmond ind so dont go here she is why im still messed up.released me to early from hospital cause she did no that much about gbs and still dont.go to indy first not richmond.:eek:

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2008 at 4:44 am

[QUOTE=jim101]Yes I remember well dumb neroligist stabed me with needles and didnt move. scratched head them hooked up thes alligator clips from this machine. turned dial one leg jumped a littile but other just said now what.so they un hooked the leg that jumped and truned up elec, on the one that didnt.and same now doc says hes not grounded and tells my wife hold other leg to ground. and they turn up elec, and same lol and mad and not getting it he grabs foot while wife holds leg and says hes grounded now. and turned up until red light comes on and guess what it took 40 to 45 seconds but leg jumped.AND HE SAID THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF THESE DOCS.do they really think that we are stupied???:D this was in 05 and it was doc parnell in richmond ind so dont go here she is why im still messed up.released me to early from hospital cause she did no that much about gbs and still dont.go to indy first not richmond.:eek:[/QUOTE]the needles were in legs and they hooked up alligator clips and applied elec, thats why i say no parnell in richmond ind they are cwacks.:eek:

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2008 at 11:30 am

Hey – I’ve been trying accpuncture and accpuncture massage for 10 days now. Have any of you tried it and what were the results. I am still in severe neck, shoulder, and pains in top of head, its very expensive for each treatment, but accupuncturist swears she’s helping me even thought either she or the massage pressure point masseuse know absouloutely anything at all about GBS. She has I have severe stress and toxins due to stress. Please reply as I have another appt today and am considering cancelling since I have had little results. Thanks a million. Bunny

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2008 at 11:41 am

Hey – I’ve been trying accpuncture and accpuncture massage for 10 days now. Have any of you tried it and what were the results. I am still in severe neck, shoulder, and pains in top of head, its very expensive for each treatment, but accupuncturist swears she’s helping me even thought either she or the massage pressure point masseuse know absouloutely anything at all about GBS. She has I have severe stress and toxins due to stress. Please reply as I have another appt today and am considering cancelling since I have had little results. Thanks a million. Bunny

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 2:37 am

Was it called E-stim?My therapist used it when we were working on my dorsiflexion.She was trying to get my big toe to pick itself up.

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 6:41 am

That’s it Lesa, thanks, it’s been driving me crazy.

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 8:13 am

Mariah,

My pain mgmt dr just recommended that I have these treatments and I start Monday. I hate to hear they are painful ! But, if it will help me, I will try anything. I’ve had the foot drop for over two years so I’m not looking for it to help…but I have to try.

I will be sure to let ya know how it goes. I go to pt regularly right now for my neck and shoulders so at least I feel comfortable with the therapist.

yikes….now I’m thinking about it hurting. oh well, I will be fine ! :rolleyes:

have a great Thanksgiving !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 9:58 am

Thanks Lesa, yes mine was called E-stim too. Stacey it shouldn’t hurt unless they turn the amplitude up too high. It was like a little “buzzing” when I had it. Like I said I felt the results hours later. It tired out the muscles that it was stimulating. ohhhhhh the memories!

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 10:11 am

Jan,
      I’ve had the treatments of the other “shocking” twice a week for a few weeks now. They put eight different patches on my back and neck and hook it up to the machine and then turn it up till I can feel it. It doesnt jerk me at all..I lay there in a dark room with warm moist towels on top of my back and neck over those patches. It feels like prickly pokes and vibrations…really helps to relax my muscles. I have knots next to my shoulder blades literally the size of grapefruits.

What he’ll do to my legs is different. I’m kind of anxious to test it out.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 10:21 am

Keep us posted. If you are getting the same thing I did, then I say go for it! It wasn’t bad. I hope it helps.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 3:21 pm

I have not had the electric shocks but I am in the process of finding a good neruolgist. I am willing to try anything…..I am in pain almost always….the bottoms of my feet…my arms feel so heavy and spasms in my legs. Had the immunoglobin in the hospital and that helped with the paralize in my legs, but still am walking with a walker. I push myself sometimes and other times I just have to rest……does anyone know if it is good to push yourself to do thing?

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2008 at 1:34 am

Mine wasn’t painful either.It was fascinating to watch it making my toe pick itself up.It didn’t help my dorsiflexion but many people are helped by it.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2008 at 8:33 am

i opened another thread about this but I had my treatment last night and there was no movement at all.
      He moved the patches all around and nothing.:(

I guess the damage is done and it’s pretty bad huh ?

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2008 at 10:09 pm

my daughter had this done. she was 5 at the time, and she had absolutely not reaction to it….besides pain. i finally said no more as she sat there and held back tears with no positive outcome. they have talked about doing it again.
      mary