Did anybody try acupuncture?

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 8:49 pm

Hi everyone,
      Did anybody try acupuncture or other non traditional treatments for CIDP? My doctors want me to start taking Prednisone in addition to IvIg. I read everything I could find about this drug, including a lot of your comments. Scary stuff. So maybe to try first some needles and such?
      Thanks for your responses
      Alex

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Hi Alex,

Some have tried acupuncture, it might give you temporary relief, but I seriously doubt that it will help. IVIG and Prednisone are the standards for CIDP and most have success with bothe treatments.

Give acupuncture a try and see what you really think after trying it for over a month.

Take care

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 12:13 am

I did try acupuncture for 8 treatments. I did not experience significant improvement, but I would not discourage you from trying. We are each so different with this disease.. I also was on Prednisone and IVIG. The neuro began decreasing the Prednisone as soon as I was doing better. I did not incur too many problems with it. I wish you well.
      Pat

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 1:09 am

Acupunture is very speculative. It hasn’t been proven to be helpful for minor problems, let alone immune-mediated neurological diseases like CIDP.

Personally I tried acupuncture and found no relief (before diagnosis). I tried three practitioners, all highly recommended. They were all quacks.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 2:07 am

I tried a six-week course of acupuncture two years ago. After each session the result was the same: I walked out of the room feeling much better, but unfortunately the following morning I was back where I was the day before. I have no reason to believe that acupuncture is not helpful for certain problems (after all the Chinese have been using it for thousands of years), but my experience is that it is of no use with GBS. I am not a medical person, but what I think may have happened is that the use of the needles temporarily energised the nerves and muscles, giving me a brief, but transitory feeling of improvement.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 12:08 pm

Hi All,

I tried acupuncture in Jan’07, a 20 sitting course. But nothing changed for me.

Pravesh

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 4:31 pm

I, personally, have had great results from acupuncture and my practitioner is a peaceful, caring young woman. Complimentary modalities take time to help you improve, just like a new diet. I would much rather do acupuncture 1 or 2x a month than to daily pop another pharmaceutical which tends to only mask symptoms. Each body and disease process is a little different as was already stated. My wish for each one of us is to find what works and be well.