Diabetes

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Also, my father is type II diabetic (oral meds) does anyone know if this will affect his healing process at all? If anyone has diabetes and diagnosed with GBS your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sabrina

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Sabrina.
      I have GBS and also have diabetc 2 and my dr didn’t change a thing.It has not reacted with any meds I have been on so I would not worry about it. Take his med to the hospital and stress that he stays on it and not what they want him on. also any IVs make sure they are sugar free. With Diabetic 2 you do not have to be as worryed as you would with 1. I averaged 150-160 for a week when I was in the hospital. He will be fine You’ll are in my prayers (Steve)

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback!!!! Before being hospitalized he was taking all of his meds orally. Now they give him injections and that was even before he was put on the ventilator. Is that normal? When you say sugar free what exactly do you mean by that?

Thanks for all the prayers,

Sabrina

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2007 at 6:55 pm

Hello, I do not have diabetes, but I do have a little to contribute. It is really common for the sugars to run higher when people are stressed (which being so ill in the hospital will definitely do!!). When people are not eating because of being really sick with a changing status, often insulin shots are used instead of pills because one can give just the amount needed to keep the blood sugars okay. It is harder to do with oral medicines that last a long time and in which the sugar could get low if one does not eat. IT is also often done to temporarily let people have sugars a little higher than they might have if they were healthy because you do not want someone get too low in sugar and your Dad probably cannot communicate if he feels jittery as well as he could if he could talk to you/others.

IV fluid often has sugar in it (dextrose) and the IV bag often says D5 something. If someone has diabetes, often you do not want to give extra sugars so people with diabetes often are put on fluids without D5 such as normal saline.

People with diabetes can have a harder time healing wounds. People with numbness or who cannot move themselves about well (because of illness, sedation on a ventilator, etc) have a greater chance of getting pressure sores. The combination is flag for extra care. Please be especially sure that care is being taken to keep your father’s feet, elbows, and backside from getting sores from pressure against the mattress. He may need either booties or a special mattress as well as frequent changing of position. This is something best done proactively. I hope this tidbit helps your Dad. You both are in our prayers.

Deannie
      (newbie with hope for cure for this disease)

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Sabrina they will do what they want. I just had a triple by pass and every day I was given inslin. My sugar was out of control and as soon as I got home it came back to normal. Talk to his Dr ask that he be kept on his oral meds he was on at home.. Alot of IVs are sugar based and they have to know he cannot have them as they have to use something else. You can find out from his nurse what they have down for him. It should be down that he is a diabetic. Just like IVIG it comes with and without sugar. Also bring his test kit with you and test his sugar after they have. I did mine and found out the hospital was 34 points off.alot of their equipment is old. but again stress that they use his diabetic meds. give it to them so they can use them. if his sugar is not over 160 tell them to wait before they give the inslin. I did this and in 2 hrs my sugar was 117.The main sugar count is when you wake up. this is when it should be the lowest. (less than 140) Also he should be getting a shot each day in his stomach of a blood thinner. This is to remove the chances of a blood clot. If he is on meds for blood thinning then this will do the same. Remember he isn’t moveing much. (Steve)