Diabetes and GBS

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2010 at 4:42 am

Hello Everyone. When I was in rehab at Kaiser in Vallejo, CA. The docs took me off of Metformin. Prior to GBS I was very well controlled and no diabetic complications. I know they gave my husband and I a reason but I can’t remember. I have different insurance now and do not have access to that doc. Was anyone else taken off of Metformin? I was put on glyburide instead. It has been 20 months since becoming a GBS survivor. I have daily pain in my feet with rapid shooting pains. Those are more frequent at night, I call them my morse code signals. Fatigue is a big issue too. How do I know if my feet issues are still from the healing process of GBS or diabetes? My current doc isn’t much help. Have requested to see a neurologist. May need to see a endocrinologist also. Anyone else with GBS and diabetes?

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2010 at 8:17 am

Good morning
      [SIZE=”2″]I was on Metformin and it was the best. They did find a big big problem with it. people were dieing from it. As high as 30 % and it did other damage.
      If you have problems with your doctor then find one that will listen to you and care enough about you being a diabetic. Most hospitals had clinics and am sure can put you in touch with a good doctor.
      My problem now is finding a medication that will keep my sugar down.
      Lakoda Steve [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm

[QUOTE=mochacat]Good morning
      [SIZE=”2″]I was on Metformin and it was the best. They did find a big big problem with it. people were dieing from it. As high as 30 % and it did other damage.
      If you have problems with your doctor then find one that will listen to you and care enough about you being a diabetic. Most hospitals had clinics and am sure can put you in touch with a good doctor.
      My problem now is finding a medication that will keep my sugar down.
      Lakoda Steve [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

After reading the above message I need more information…I am on Metformin and my doctor just increased it. I now take 5 of them a day 500 mg x 5!!!:eek:

If anyone has info send it my way.

Thanks,

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2010 at 3:57 am

Thanks Rhonda for your reply. Pretty scary info on Metformin. Another less serious reason is that Metformin lowers your B12 level. So for those of use with GBS a low B12 level could interfere with our nerve regeneration. That was explained by a doctor friend of mine last night. I am going to start taking Januvia with my glipizide. Will let you know how that combo works.