Delayed residuals?

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Hi all-I am 2 yrs post gbs and all went well until six months ago. I woke up with lower back/buttock/hip pain with a #7 rating on 1 to 10 scale. I thought here we go again! After about 3 weeks the pain got down to about a daily constant #3. I had a ct scan on my lower back and everything looked good. Shortly before this my shoulders began hurting equally on both sides when I lift them up past my head with a constant pain of #3 but occasionaly a 6 or 7 when I lift something heavier like my son. I also experienced moderate eye fatigue and mild muscle/body fatigue more so than usual. I went to the eye dr and an exam and prescription glasses took care of most of the eye fatigue. I also had some extensive blood work done and turned up nothing. I can still live my life to the fullest and am not complaining-I know most of you are a lot worse off than me. I was just wondering if anyone has had delayed residuals or if someone has any ideas or know things I should ask/tell my dr. Maybe someone has experienced the same thing? I have found that a lot of stretching excercises help my back but not the shoulders.
      Take care, friends! Ted

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm

ted,

there seems to be more than the usual number of gbsers saying roughly what you are saying. RU sure you have not been over doing it in some manner? try & rest more to see if it helps. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2008 at 9:50 am

I found the further I went into my recovery the feelings and residuals changed. I did not have any pain or zings or zaps to start with. Mostly everything was numb. As I started to heal then I started to experience those things. I took it as a possitive sign I was healing and the illness was slowly reversing. As the numbness went out of my core I did fell the muscles that were weak and the areas that needed more stretching and exercise. I also felt the pain in my back more as I started to do more things for myself and did too much. I started to change my lifestyle to accomindate those things and I would make sure I did not sit too long, or stand in one place too long. Also, that I did not walk too far because when I got tired and did too much and I ignored my body I paid for it. But I slowly developed an exercise program for me and a daily routine so I got things done, but also did not do too much. If I had to add a doctors appointment I might skip doing the floors or the laundry. I become more flexible in my scheduling and what I required from my body. It has been interesting thinking about me! What I need and asking for help if it is something I am no longer able to do. It is strange because some days I can do it myself and other days I am not able to do it. Lifting still is something I find difficult to do and taking things down off the shelves. I remember putting it up there but have no idea how heavy things were. I have to be careful I don’t listen to my head that I can do it or have to get it done. I have to remember to listen to my body that says different things each day. I just have leaned to take one day at a time. Also, to make plans days in advance to give myself time to get ready. I just am not as fast as I used to be. This journey has become an adventure! I appreciate the things I can do more now! So some new residuals can be a good sign you are getting better! But don’t ignore them, mention them to your doctors…..mention them on here. Some will be related to GBS and things might throw up a red flag that it needs to be addressed. BE WELL!

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Ted, your body is still recovering, so any duress will show itself in the form of what might be perceived as residuals. I agree with gene,gene the answer machine. Easy does it.

😀

In terms of post-GBS residuals popping up, I started a chronic depression post-GBS three years. Everyone is different, so every case is different in terms of recovery.