Dad’s surgery for trach today

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 10:53 am

Okay everyone I’m leaving work because they are taking my dad back for the surgery. Just keep us in your prayers and I will let you know afterwards how everything is. Thanks for all of your support!!!!

Sabrina

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Sabrina,

Let us know when you get back.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Sabrina,
      You and your entire family will be in my prayer. Keep us advised how thing are going

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 1:05 pm

My father is doing good. He went into surgery yesterday for the trach and a little bit later the surgeon came out and said that everything went great and explained to us the procedure and all that good stuff. Anyways, we went in to see him and he opened his eyes to his daughters and his mother by his side. He looked releived when he woke up and he didn’t want us to leave, but we were getting hungry so we waited till he closed his eyes and one at a time we left the room. Boy!! when we got back he was just moving his lips and mad cause we left. That’s when me and my sister looked at each other and said Daddy’s back (which that was a good saying). I really hope and pray that going forward he will start improving and not have any fall backs. Anyways thanks for the support and prayers.

Sabrina

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Glad to hear All is well Sabrina. Please keep us updated when you can.

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 11:17 pm

Sabrina,
      Hopefully things will continue to improve. You and your family will remain in my prayers each day.

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2007 at 8:16 pm

I just have a few questions that maybe some of you would be able to answer, but first of all I want to say that my dad is looking better. The surgeon told us last Thursday when he had the trach put in that he would have the sutures around it to hold it in place and then after 5 days they would remove the sutures. Well today was the 5th day and they haven’t been removed, is this okay? I know they said that the sutures were to hold it in place, but didn’t tell us or atleast I don’t remember what would hold the trach in place once the sutures were removed. Also, he has still been bleeding some from his neck and the doctor told my sister because he was still on the blood thinners and that would cause the bleeding. He asked the nurse today what his future holds and she said you are going to make it through this it just takes time. He said that he’s not going to make it because he feels that way and he is so tired right now. He wants to be in a hurry and I don’t know what else to tell him besides what I have already told him about getting feedback all of you on this forum. Does anyone have any feedback that could help us to help him if so please let me know. We need all the support that we can get right now. I just don’t know what to say anymore. What else can we do for him? He also said that because of his diabetes and this disease together is going to kill him. As much feedback as possible will help. I’m so desperate that I would print this and the feedback out and take it to him and read it to him.

Thanks for all of the support,

Sabrina

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I’m not exactly sure how it works. I can remember they took my sutures out after so many days because they were starting to look a bit “angry”. Obviously they are not required to hold the trachy in. There is also a velcro collar that i think helps hold it in place. I ended up with an infection. I never actually saw it and had trouble understanding what it looked like but apparently the wound was quite open and i couldnt have the trachy out until it healed otherwise air would escape???? So i had an open wound all the way to the trachy yet it didnt fall out? I ended up with a scar about 2 inches long. The trachy itself is much smaller isnt it? When they took the trachy out they just let it heal by itself so obviously thse things heal pretty well.

Sorry not much help but thought i would let you know that despite problems i had it really wasnt too big a deal.

As for his emotional state, it sounds quite normal to me. I had days when i really felt like it would never be over and i didnt have the strength to fight anymore. A couple of times i really felt it would be easier just to refuse treatment and curl up and die … but of course you dont, you deal with each day as it comes and try not to look too far ahead as that will just do your head in. Let him know that there are others here who have been down the same path and have survived to tell our stories.

I think of your father quite often and wonder how he is going (please let him know that his progress is being followed as far away as Australia!)

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Hello. we are glad you Dad is looking better. This is by far the most important point of all and tell him that. Your last post sounded like he had some of his feistiness back and that it always also a good sign of an upward slope to the healing curve. Also remind him that the people here say that GBS stands for Getting Better Slowly. Remind him of some of the positives of this week–that he did so well with the trach, etc.

I do not know a whole lot about trachs, but usually head and neck procedures heal really fast because of all the good blood supply there and so sutures, etc can be removed rapidly. My guess is that, for your Dad, the ENT doctors decided to be a little careful and leave the sutures just a little longer so that this could heal just a little more before the next step. This might help it also to bleed a little less. A lot of times medical people have a general time plan, but modify it a little to fit the individual patient’s needs.

Tell your Dad that we are all routing for him and his family that loves him so much. You are in our prayers. Hang in there, all of you!

Deannie
      With hope for cure of these diseases.

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2007 at 11:12 pm

Sabrina I know it is hard to keep things possitive when someone seems to be fighting you. But remember that without being able to speak it is frustrating. Not seeing being home anytime soon is depressing. Seeing your friends and family having to put so much time into coming to see you struggle each day is a daily effort that drains every ounce of hope things can get better soon. All of you have to take care of yourselves and keep a smile on your faces and that should not be hard when you see him getting better and stronger each visit. Yep it does mean getting better slowly, but that means nothing to someone that is on the inside hoping to get out soon! They want dates they can come home. They want times set that they can expect big changes. They want to be home yesterday! They have no patience. Your job is to keep things possitive and not sweat the small stuff. I had my stitches in the whole time I had my trache. I had a trache fail on me and had to have it replaced because it moved. So don’t be in a big hurry to see those stitches be removed. I did not have the trache removed until I was almost ready to come home. They waited to see how I did with rehab and exercise. You don’t want to have a setback happen and have to have a trache or feeding tube have to be put back in. The next step you should be looking for with the trache is when his oxygen levels are more stable and he is able to breath thru his nose and not have to use the trache as much. Then they will put the speaking valve on the trache and that will give him much deserved freedom of speech! Then you will have to listen to his complaining. There will be times when he will be so frustrated and home sick that he will be nasty. That is stress working on his attitude. Just turn it all around and talk possitive.

As far as the bleeding goes that is common and that why the RT will come in the morning and evening and clean around the trache. Wait till he gets the trache out and for a few days until the opening heals shut. Weird noises will come out of that hole that cracked us all up. I had a habit as I turned in bed to sit up I would hold my breath. Well with that pressure and that opening I made farting sounds from my throat! Good thing they sounded like a duck quacking. Remember and remind him that it can always be worse! I think his progression is really on the right track and as this illness starts to reverse itsself things will start to happen quicker and he will have brags each day to tell you about. They will be litlte brags, but a brag is a brag! Hang in there and let us know if you have any other questions. Remember there is no stupid questions and if it is important to you, it is important to us to give you an answer or suggestion. Keep up the great work of being your Dad’s advocate and looking out for him.

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 5:11 pm

klsjfasl;kfjsopdfi