Cytoxan helpfulness, side effects and dangers

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 9:05 pm

My neurologist has recommended using Cytoxan now. IVIG and Methotrexagte are not slowing the disease down anymore. Last month I had a 5-day drip and relapsed in the middle of it. I have to do something else and he (the doctor) is confident the Cytoxan will help.

I would like to ask how people have tolerated the Cytoxan, what the most commonly experienced side effects were, what you think the real long-term dangers are and how well it will work.

Thanks for your time.
      Nancy

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 10:32 am

Nancy, Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) is a cytotoxic (cell poison) used to damage DNA and prevent its replication in some types of lymphoma, leukaemia and some solid tumours.
      It has a place in the treatment of the more resistant types of CIDP after IVIG , steroids and plasmapheresis have failed. I used it at that stage. Like other cytotoxic drugs it may cause nausea and vomiting so anti-emetics are often prescribed with it.
      Pregnancy should be completely avoided whilst on the drug.
      Periodic kidney and liver function tests should be done.
      It is contra-indicated in Porphyia (King George IIIrd’s illness)

I suggest you ask your doctor for a copy of the manufacturer’s product literature on it. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 5:55 pm

[QUOTE=DavidBod]Nancy, Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) is a cytotoxic (cell poison) used to damage DNA and prevent its replication in some types of lymphoma, leukaemia and some solid tumours.
      It has a place in the treatment of the more resistant types of CIDP after IVIG , steroids and plasmapheresis have failed. I used it at that stage. Like other cytotoxic drugs it may cause nausea and vomiting so anti-emetics are often prescribed with it.

I suggest you ask your doctor for a copy of the manufacturer’s product literature on it. DocDavid[/QUOTE]
      DocDavid
      Thanks for your response. How helpful was the cytoxan treatment for you. Did it stop the activity of the disease, how long were you on it, have you had any relapses since? I am very curious because the CIDP in me seems to be more and more “resistant” to treatment.
      I know the manufacturer’s warnings for cytoxan- if it doesn;t kill you, it’ll cure you. Seriously, i am aware of the dangers to the kidney, liver, heart, lung, bone marrow, and of course immune function. And that it is a teratogenic, will absolutely cause birth defects. I am already blessed with three children.
      My neurologist maintains the most imminent danger is the damage to the liver and consequently the cytoxan can only be given 75 times. I have not read anything about that.

If i am not being too nosy, what caused your kidney failure?

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 5:57 pm

[QUOTE=DavidBod]Nancy, Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) is a cytotoxic (cell poison) used to damage DNA and prevent its replication in some types of lymphoma, leukaemia and some solid tumours.

I suggest you ask your doctor for a copy of the manufacturer’s product literature on it. DocDavid[/QUOTE]
      DocDavid
      Thanks for your response. How helpful was the cytoxan treatment for you. Did it stop the activity of the disease, how long were you on it, have you had any relapses since? I am very curious because the CIDP in me seems to be more and more “resistant” to treatment.
      I know the manufacturer’s warnings for cytoxan- if it doesn;t kill you, it’ll cure you. Seriously, i am aware of the dangers to the kidney, liver, heart, lung, bone marrow, and of course immune function. And that it is a teratogenic, will absolutely cause birth defects. I am already blessed with three children.
      My neurologist maintains the most imminent danger is the damage to the liver and consequently the cytoxan can only be given 75 times. I have not read anything about that.

If i am not being too nosy, what caused your kidney failure?

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2006 at 2:25 am

Nancy, I had it for about three months to no benefit, the only thing that helped me bit was Rituxan. No, I was in kidney failure long before I took Cytoxan. Follow your neurologists advice, even in medicine neurologists are viewed as rather a rarefied breed and are often not the best communicators. DocDavid