Cymbalta Withdrawal??

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2009 at 5:31 pm

I’ve spent the last few days in the medical hobby shop. It seems that I had a partially blocked bowl. No, I wasn’t full of S…, I was full of gas. To make a long story short. Things seem to have resolved themselves without resorting to any slicing and dicing [so far]. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ever since I started tacking Cymbalta I have had a problem getting things to move, so they decided that I should stop taking it. Does anyone have any experience with the side effects of stopping Cymbalta cold turkey? I know the pain is coming back, but it worth it to find out that the blockage was caused by a drug reaction. Then hopefully the neurologist can find something that work that doesn’t stop up the pipes. ๐Ÿ˜€

It has been an interesting way to start the New Year. At least I found a way to solve the gas shortage, but I don’t think it is a practical solution ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2009 at 6:21 pm

just an idea– i too am on cymbalta 60mg. i found that a good brand of digestive enzymes made and makes a huge difference in the pipe moving department ๐Ÿ˜‰

happy new year,
      alice

• January 8, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Hi Jim,
      I think I remember Ali went off of cymbalta, maybe you could e-mail her or search it under her name. Sorry I could not be of more help.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2009 at 12:41 am

I got off cymbalta, and by God It was tuff. I found a web page where a nurse got off Cymbalta. She told me to take 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily,B Complex. I still had the brain zapps dizzy like spells for about two weeks, and I had to stay on those things for about 2 months and still for a while i got the Brain Zapps. I will try and locate the web page for you. Im not telling you to run out and do this, but I did and it helped me.

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2009 at 8:06 am

do they want you to stop cold turkey ? I think there is a taper down system. If you can do that, definitely take that route instead. I hope things go well.

I have issues with this, too. Not something we talk about much, eh ?
      I have severe issues and I’m hoping it’s the med that I’m taking and not CIDP.
      I take senekot and another stool softener. I sometimes have to do a fleet suppository…it has gotten pretty bad. Not only do I have probs going number 2, I dont go number 1 much either. TMI- sorry.:eek:

Are they sure its the cymbalta ?

keep us posted on how things go…

no pun intended.

good luck Jim !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2009 at 8:12 am

That is one reason I like the Gabapentin. That Cymbalta they wanted me on and I just couldn’t take it. Then when I looked it up I found a website where many were complaining about bad withdrawals from it. It seems to be one thing bad about that drug. They don’t want to give people bad addictive drugs like Xanax but will give out a drug like Cymbalta and it causes bad with drawals! Sometimes I wonder about these drug companies.
      Ohh Jim! I know that partial bowel obstruction hurt! That can be very painful stuff! Maybe getting off that Cymbalta will help. It will take a few days to get that out of your system. Not sure what dose you are on, but I think I would call my doctor and see if they can RX you something to help ease the withdrawals until you get it out of your system. Hope you feel better soon! Being sick is no fun picnic! Hoping to see you getting well soon! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2009 at 8:14 am

I was on Cymbalta for a year and a half. I tapered it off when I stopped it. I just took a pill every other day for a week then every 3 days for a week, then just once a week for a couple. I didn’t have any repercussions. While I was on cymbalta I took colace twice a day. When things got “bad” I used Miralax. Its over the counter but its what I had to use when my “plumbing” wasn’t functioning at the beginning. I was on 60 mg per day

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The digestive system isn’t a good one to mess with! Good luck.

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2009 at 8:45 am

I’m sorry jim, I did leave out that I had been tapering down first for about 2 months first, before I started with the flaxseed oil, and B complex. I’m in no way telling you to do what I did. I was only telling how I got off Cymbalta. I will say this! It’s very hard to taper off when the smallest dose is in the form of a capsule and not a pill where you can cut it up and take smaller and smaller doses each week. (ATLEAST THE SMALLEST MG WAS LIKE THIS WHEN I TOOK IT A FEW YEARS AGO)….I did go to the Dr. and they way she was trying to have me taper would leave you with brain zapps. For what ever reason, taking the flaxseed oil and B complex really helped ME!

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. It’s the third day and so far it’s not too bad. Head zap and balance issues seem to be the main problem. It they don’t get more intense I should be able to weather the storm. My GP told me that if things got to bad to take a Cymbalta to slow the withdrawal symptoms. What he didn’t say is how long before they are over. I was hoping it would be a week of so. We will see. Right now things are “working out ok”

Again, thank for you help and advise.

Cymbalta withdrawal ?

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2006 at 3:36 pm

:confused: Trouble trouble!
      My doc changed my med Cymbalta and put me on Neurontin instead. So I quit the Cym. and started the Neur. 24 hours later, at bedtime. Oh, I did not get my usual night headache. :rolleyes:

But…I woke up this morning unable to stay upright; good thing I had my walker handy. Got very sleepy; took a nap. Yuck already. I feel like …:confused: slow, slurry, swampy, sludgy, sick, almost dead, hard to move, scared, all bad. And I have the headache back.

I did like my doctor said, not to take them both at the same time. So I did as he said–24 hours between them. I don’t know if the 2 meds are interacting or that I am in withdrawal from the cymbalta. HELP

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Patricia,

I know in the beginning with Neurontin it really kicked my butt until I could get used to it. I tried to sleep as much as possible at first, you will adjust so just give it some time.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2006 at 5:41 pm

Thanks so much Jerimy. I won’t worry now. I’m not going to drive, though, until I feel human again. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2006 at 10:15 pm

Stopping any drug is hard but anti-depressants are USUALLY dose lowered slowly to go off them. I always call the pharmacist as they are aware of drug reactions/side effects.
      Doctors don’t have time to read up on all the drugs/tell you about them.Recently my neuro gave me Ambiem CR and in 2 days I was acting weird and giddy.I knew immediately that something was wrong.Thank goodness I had a friend that was driving””

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2006 at 11:29 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. Six months ago I had a small stroke and since I was in the hospital and off my drugs (I had too many, according to my neuro and me).

So I dropped Cymbalta, and 3 others we had talked about. All at once. :p Later my neuro came to me and asked if I had suddenly stopped the Cymbalta; I said yes and he just stared at me. Later I saw my primary and he asked me the same question; I said yes. And he stared at me.
      The neuro sort of whispered in my ear that they were trying to prevent me from having a seizure. I didn’t. Whew.:D

I had taken Neurontin years earlier and took myself off of it almost suddenly. No problem.

So I think it is having the residual Cymbalta and the new Neur. at the same time. I feel better already. I remember from before I have to work harder to keep my balance.

Hope wellness for you
      Patiricia

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Hi Patricia,

I’ve been thinking about you ever since Friday, when I went to my Rheumatologist and asked him if i could possibly stop my Cymbalta now that I was taking Provigil. The Provigil made an instant difference, I had just started the Cymbalta 3 weeks prior to starting Provigil and was only on 20mg, which I thought was really not enough to ‘make a difference’. long story short, he said yes definiely go off it. I did, but since then my dizzyness has intensified and I really dont feel well. Its 5 days now, and it almost seems to be getting worse, which I dont understand. I know you normally have to slowly go off it, but 20mg, hhmmmmm I didnt think it was a big deal, and besides he didnt say anything. Im wondering if I could be having withdrawal. As I said, been thinking of your post and thought I would write.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2006 at 7:42 pm

Alison
      I don’t even know which of my multiple diagnoses and my multiple meds are doing. Your problem could be starting the new med, going off the cymbalta, a mixture. I wish I knew an answer to your question but I don’t. If you continue to feel terrible you might need to call your doctor.

Pharmacists have knowledge about med interactions but they don’t know about you.

I hope you can get this sorted out.
      My best to you
      Patricia