Cymbalta/Neurontin

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 4:53 pm

The neurologist just changed my medication and put me on Cymbalta 60 mg and Neurontin 100 mg X3. I started with the Neurontin first and it seemed to help. When I tried the Cymbalta it knock me for a loop. I tried for thee days. After the third day I slept for 13 hours and seemed to be in a stupor for the rest of the day. Is this normal? :confused:

I also check out Cymbalta on line. There was nothing about the effects on CIDP but the reference to diabetic neuropathy indicated that it was only effective for three to four months. That is when the fun started. All the indications were that Cymbalta withdrawal was extremely unpleasant. Does anyone have experience stopping Cymbalta. I decided to stop taking the Cymbalta for the present until I can find out more information. So far there are not withdrawal systems, but then the day is still young.

The Neurontin is keeping the pain back enough to let me get some sleep. It not a perfect situation, but it is better than being a zombie all day. Although I have to admit, my wife didn’t notice any difference. 😎

Thanks for your help
      Jim C

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Hi Jim, That stupor effect is one of the reasons I can’t use antidepressants like cymbalta. Is there a lower dosage of it that you can take instead? I have no problems when I use neurontin.
      Hows things in Florida? 🙂

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 5:25 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”2″]jim,
      i’ve no experience with Cymbalta, but do with Paxil which is similar. it was prescribed for my depression with anxiety (about ten years ago) and i was on it for 3 years. During the course of that treatment, it certainly helped with the depression and anxiety which were keeping me from functioning BUT it also wiped out my libido (permanenetly) and withdrawal was awful. Also, the key to starting out on this type of medication is to start with the lowest dose possible and gradually increase it which lessens the side effects of which you wrote.
      Now if Gene were here, he would no doubt question the relatively small amount of Neurontin you are taking, increasing the dosage would maybe make all the difference in the world. One more point, then i’ll get off the soap box,
      according to the literature, to be effective, the levels of Neurontin/Gabapentin, should be kept fairly constant in the blood stream so it should really be taken every six hours or four times a day.
      i think you’re right about not taking the Cumbalta, and i urge you to talk to your Dr. about it and maybe upping the Neurontin.
      So there’s my two cents worth, eh?:)
      Best.
      V[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 10:42 pm

I think that it would be a challenge to start on two drugs like those together since both require a little bit of getting used to them. It is recommended to start the Cymbalta at 30 mg daily if someone is “older” or sensitive to medicines. I will not admit to the former, but I started at 30 mg daily for a week before increasing to 60 mg daily. It has helped my neuropathic pain a lot. I am not scared of stopping it–just will do that slowly. I have been on it for about five months and it is still working fine. I have never heard of Cymbalta stopping working after a few months and I read several things about it (PDR and full drug information and a drug book’s information).

I have never been on neurontin, but have had many patients that I help with on it. It is wise to start slowly and increase. If this is helping you, increase the dose a little every day or other day until it helps enough–like one pill in addition (ie, go from 1-1-1 to 1-1-2 then 1-2-2 and 2-2-2). If you were to get to a point that it made you feel too sleepy, then might be the time to try an alternative (instead or in addition), but really it is very hard to start two such drugs at once. Listen, you can adjust to both, so I would not rule out trying Cymbalta again in the future if neurontin was not enough.

You should be okay without withdrawal symptoms after being on this for three days. You body is still really new to it and there would not have been modulation of receptors or redistribution of neurotransmitters as you would have barely had enough in your body to reach full dosage. I hope that helps relieve a little concern for you.
      WithHope for a cure for these diseases

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 12:07 am

Jim-

I was on 60mg a day of Cymbalta for about three months. I had done my research on line knew everything about it,lol. Anyways, after a while I felt it had quit working so just stoped cold turkey. However I did start a new antidepressent the following day-Wellburtrin. I was really afaird of all the side effects I had read about and how difficult it was to get off of them and to my surprise I was fine.

Not sure if this helps any.

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 5:34 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”Blue”]Thanks you all for taking the time to answer my question. Now I a starting point when I see the neurologist.

Again Thanks
      Jim C[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Jim,

I am currently taking both Cymbalta and Neurontin. I only take the Cymbalta (30mg.) at night to help me sleep. I initially started out with the Neurontin (300 3x a day) but was having trouble sleeping. My neuro eventually started me out on the cymbalta and it has really helped me sleep. I do feel a little more groggy in the morning. However, I am not too sure how much of the grogginess is the “cidp” fog my brain in or the cymbalta. My neuro told me that cymbalta in low doses works to stop neurological pain. I’m sure the added side effect of it being an anti-depressant is not hurting me either.

–Ian

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Jim,

When I tried to stop my Cymbalta last summer, my whole body went back to the awful pain again. I really found out that it is working for me. I am on 60mg twice a day and have recently tried to take only 60mg once a day to try and save money………….well, i can definitely tell the difference in my feet.

BTW i did stop my Provigil cold turkey! Havent had one in approx. a month and I am doing quite well! Do you still take yours on weekends?