Cymbalta HELL

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 11:18 am

Hi, GBS on nov 06, been doing ok 74 yrs old, 2 months ago my nero dr put me on cynbalta. It was giving me all kinds of problems, I was told to taper off 60 tp 30mgs a day. Im not going to list all the side effects im having but you name it I got It is a living HELL to quit this drug. Be very careful before you start taking this poison, Eli Lilly does not tell you about the Side effects there murder. If any one has any TIPS on how to quit please let me no. I take 2400 gabapentin a day and Vicodin when needed. Have a great day, Gene

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Sorry Gene you are having so much trouble. I always worry about things like this, and especially when a new medicine is added on, or just quiting one. I have been on Cymbalta for about 6 months and it helps alot for the pain. I take 90 mg now, and can go as high as 120 mg a day. I am taking zoloft and cymbalta together and it alarmed the pharmacist, and said that can really cause some strange in the body togother. He did not ellabrate on the subject and wife did not go into detais with him. I am having no problem with it yet, but could anytime and that is always in the back of my mind. Hope you can get straightened out Gene. Thanks for posting the warnings. That is what I come here for .

God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Hello Gene. I was dx in May 06 put on Lyrica and Cymbalta. Since Oct of last year my Neurologist left the clinic. I have been floundering around the area trying to find a new one. One is now coming to clinic on Weds, she ordered all the tests again even MRI, nerve biopsy. She said definite CIDP, then her office called wanted more tests and another spinal tap. I said NO!!! She also ordered 5 days straight of IVIG and I find thru alot of reading that is not necessary unless patient is still bedridden–I am not. I am 68 years old and tired of all this. I quit my meds for a few days–definitely not the thing to do. But I lowered myself from 400mg Lyrica to 200, and from 120mg Cymbalta to 60mg. I feel better and now can think clearer and finish sentences and no more dry mouth. So all I can tell you for me less is better. Good luck
      Regina

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 7:12 pm

Good for you Regina, theres a site called crazy meds, 1000 people talk about there uses of CYMBALTA, its wild. Good luck. Gene

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 7:38 pm

Wow, they took the site down, drug companys must have something to do with it sorry,,,

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Gene,

I am so sorry about your reaction with Cymbalta, I know that there are a few who also have had horrible reactions – one of them being Chrissy and one of her side effects had to do with an anger issue.

I have always been someone who hated taking medication of any sort, even when it came to headaches, and would rather writhe in pain than take any meds. However, having said that, Cymbalta has been a wonderful drug for me! I am currently on 60mg x 2 a day, and if I try and reduce or go off it, my overall pain returns and as a result I can barely walk. It also is great for my depression.

Thanks for posting this information as it is so important that people realize how medications react differently for everyone. 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 5:55 am

Gene,

Everyone reacts differently to various meds………………..
      I don’t know about the cymbalta…………never taken it……………………., but, I do very well on Neurontin (gabapentin) and Vicodin. My neurologist has me on this regularly since being diagnosed in Sept. of 2004. I am 60 years young….:)

Just a thought for you. Good luck………you will be fine;)

Perry

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2007 at 5:47 pm

Gene,

Understanding the “hell” you are in, my suggestion is to taper down and down, even to the point where you are counting the little dots in the capsule.

Also, get on an SSRI type of drug and that will help the strange zapping in your head. Now getting off of any type of SSRI (I take Paxil), can be rough, but I know what you mean about that Cymbalta. Be careful and take it slow. Look up an old thread I had titled Cymbalta and you will see a variety of responses – some good and some not.

Good Luck!

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Hi,

I am almost 8 years post GBS. I am now on 120mg of Cymbalta and Vicodine for break through pain. I am also on other drugs for other things, but the Cymbalta is heaven for me. I have tried just about every kind of antidepressant there is and all gave me problems.

Each person with GBS is different in how it affected us. This is probably why each person has to find their right combination of drugs to help them. It is frustrating and it takes so long and cost too much money.

The residuals, as I have read, will get worse as we get older, unfortunatly. I finally went to a pain clinic through my hospital; and they do most of my prescriptions and work with me to do the best job of pain relief. They don’t get that blank look when you mention a narcotic type of pain relief. You have to do what they want and have to have pee tests ever so often, but handling pain to a level that I can do housework and enjoy my hunting is perfect to me. I still have all the fun of exhaustion and all that other stuff, but at least I have some times of joy.

Hope you find the help you need so badly,

Judy

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2007 at 8:37 am

I have to be very careful with antidepressants. The tricyclics can make me constantly on the verge of being angry, or more emotional and crying at the drop of a hat, the SSRI’s can make my nerve pain worse, and also removes a bit of my normal sensitivity. Neurontin was downright dangerous.

This isn’t normal, so please don’t be afraid to try these meds, for most people they work great.

What I found is to start on very, very low doses…usually a 1/4 of what is considered therapeutic, and work my way up. Of course, I’m hypersensitive to these medications, other medications require a higher dose…my system is a bit off.

Stopping them is the same way, I have to reduce a dose by 10% per week…some people can only do 5%.