cyclosporine and upper respiratory infection–advice needed…

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2008 at 11:03 am

so i have been on cyclosporine for about 1.5 months now and over the past week, week and a half, i am fighting what feels like an upper respiratory infection brewing…

does anyone have feedback re: immune suppressants and the development of infections? should i rush off to the doctor or wait to see if it develops into something?

thank you and happy holidays,
      alice

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Hi Alice,

If you think you may have an upper resp. infection, you don’t want it to develop into something worse, like pneumonia. You may need an antibiotic.
      Always on the weekend you know. I am sure the drug you are on makes you prone to infections.-tim

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Hi Alice,
      Remember, I’m not a doctor, so take what I say with that in mind. Each of us react differently to certain drugs. The data I researched on cyclosporine didn’t show that increased the likelihood of bacterial or fungal infection. However it didn’t decreases it either. You know you body better than anyone else, if you feel that “an upper respiratory infection brewing”, it probably is so…

It’s Saturday. Depending on your insurance, you may want to take a trip to the ER or call you doctor and see what he or she suggests. Either way, waiting to see what develops doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Let us know the outcome.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Hi Alice! Alot of Chemo drugs can cause higher risk of infections. And with having a suppressed immune system, I think I would call my doctor and see if he can order you an antibiotic. I alway’s try to doctor myself up first to see if I improve a day or two. No improvement then I call my doctor.
      But your body will tell you what is best! If you think you need an antibiotic then I would certainly call! Hope you feel better soon! Hugs
      Linda

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2008 at 1:58 pm

i called my pcp, she ordered up an antibiotic.
      thanks for the feedback…
      alice

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Good girl! I think that was a wise thing to do! At least that will help fight infection and may make you feel better! Get well soon Alice!
      Happy New Years!
      Linda

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2008 at 5:04 am

I hope You are feeling better Alice. Listen to your body, it always knows what to do and don’t second guess it-it doesn’t like that.;) Take Care.

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2008 at 7:32 pm

thanks for your note cheryl.
      alice

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hi,

If you are the Alice that had successful stem cell transplantation …Congratulations.

My question is on cyclosporine. I’ve been on it for two months. My question is this. Did it do you any good?

Thanks,
      ubbietom