Cushions For Manual Wheelchair?

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Hi,
      Does anyone know what kind of a cushion won’t slip and slide when I am out in the manual wheelchair? If I forget to watch, I might just slide right off the wheelchair. I wish it could be tied so it would stay in place, but that would mean untie and tie too many times.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Liz,
      Because I had a bed sore, OT ordered a cushion with a small pump. The cushion is air filled and stays in place with wide velcro strips. You add air as needed, which is not to often for me. You could check with medical supply stores.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 11:59 pm

HI Liz,
      my dad used to have one that was kind of jelly filled and so it stayed in the chair really well. I think I might have it so if I do i will bring it with me to the symposium and you can see what you think. Just let me know. Take care and hope things are going well.

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 2:38 am

Just a thought for you…my wife used to put a pillowcase over the cushion in my chair and that stopped it from slipping all over the place….it also made it easier to keep clean.:D

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 11:53 am

Have you tried the stuff you can get to put under rugs to keep them from sliding? I think you can get it to line drawers and such too. I used to use it under my plate and things to hold them in place. Its sort of rubbery so it sticks. I wish I knew its official name, Maybe soemone else knows what it is called. I also had the “jelly” type cushion in my chair and it stayed well without anything to hold it. Good Luck.

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for the advice, that got me thinking and I googled in wheelchair cusions and I ordered a wedge shaped cushion that comes with straps. The wedge shape is supposed to prevent forward sliding.

I wanted to get a better cushion because I’m taking manual wheelchair to symposium.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 10:24 am

Liz,
      the wedge will also make it harder to get in and out of the chair. I guess it depends on the size of the wedge. We used to use them in the hospital to keep people from getting out of their chairs! I hope it works for you.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 9:35 pm

If these many good suggestions do not work well enough, another option might be to get velcro strips from a fabric store and stick/glue one side to the wheelchair and the other to a corresponding place on the cushion. The nice things about velcro are that it would still be easy to take the cushion out and it should not hurt if you use the wheelchair without the cushion (although your clothes might stick to it:eek: )
      I have not done this, but I have used velcro for a lot of things.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases