crutches

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 10:18 am

Greetings, all.

For a long time I’ve needed some kind of support for balance and leg weakness, and have used a walking stick. The problem is that recently my upper arms are becoming weaker and I’m having trouble using the stick because of it–using the stick causes a lot of pressure on my upper arms so I’m constantly having to switch the stick from hand to hand. I’m wondering if a crutch would make any difference in how much pressure is applied to the upper arm (adjusting the height of my stick hasn’t helped) or if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks!

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Deb

Sorry to hear that you arms are now losing strength. I would suggest that
      you use a four-posted walking cane for balance. If that doesn’t work, then
      there are Canadian crutches that have arm bands to support and keep the
      crutches from falling.

Also, see an orthotic doctor to fit you with AFO’s…ankle, foot orthotic. They
      are made of hard plastic that keeps your feet at a 90 degree angle…like an
      “L” shape…it gives you balance and will take the majority of support from your
      arms to your feet and legs…you can walk in them and drive.

These things can aid you in functioning a little more…just becareful that you do not fall…

Keep us informed as to how you are doing…welcome to the boards.

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Deb,

Have you tried the forearm crutches? My girlfriend in South Africa had GBS in 87 and has used them ever since. Not only is there weakness in her legs, but her arms too. Although I can imagine that they do put pressure on the arms as well. Maybe distributing the weight between two arms is better than having to keep changing the walking stick from side to side? I remember a couple of years ago seeing your walking stick decorated ….. didnt it have christmas lights on? Im trying to remember way back. In any case whatever you decide, you definitely need to decorate again ….. very chic my dear! :p

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Hi, Ali.

Yep, it was I. My stick is currently decorated with ivy stickers. I’ve got new lights for next Christmas, and if I end up using crutches it’ll mean I can use more lights. 🙂

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Hi Deb,
      Another thought, if you can stand on your legs without dropping to the floor, maybe rolling canes or a rolling cane would work. With the wheels on it, I think it would take a lot of stress off shoulders.

[IMG]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6981/canecz0.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 10:41 pm

My goodness Liz, I’ve never seen anything like that before.

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 10:56 pm

THE ultimate walking assistor? I haven’t seen anything like it, but obviously, someone has their ‘grey cells’ functioning in overdrive? Where, HOW?
      I wonder if you can get it in, well, designer racing colors? What fun?

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 11:18 pm

Hello again,
      PILOT makes those rolling canes and since I’m not supposed to post web sites, the best thing to do use your SEARCH ENGINES! Go to GOODSEARCH, which can benefit our foundation when you use it or go to the more common GOOGLE. Just type in ROLLING CANES.

I’ve got myself thinking about them now. Maybe my legs are strong enough now for me to try.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2007 at 12:31 am

Hi Deb, Sorry to hear of your increase in problems. I use my crutches(they are even decorated still) when i’m in one of my paralysis events, well actually either with help from my hubby or when i’m recovered enough to get up on them myself. the only problem i have with them is the fact that my arms aren’t strong enough to lift them over and over again while i walk. the arms just hurt too bad and they give out alot. That rolling cane looks pretty neat-i’m going to have to get me one. when i use my cane i have to stop just to let my hands and arms rest because of severe fatigue.
      I have my cane decorated for every holiday and season in between also. One has red, white and blue ribbon on it and the other has red, white and blue star garland wrapped around it with a yellow ribbon on the neck. I can’t wait until thursday, i’m going to put glow sticks on it, we are going to an amusement park-i want to make sure people don’t run into me.:D
      Hope you get to feeling better Deb, don’t over do things!!!:) Hugs!!

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2007 at 4:09 am

I’ve used the forearm crutches-they give me balance when the single cane couldn’t (My cane is a shiny bronze color). I tend to sway and stumble. The crutch does slow me down but I need that. It’s good for weight-bearing.I tried to get the really funky bright lime or purple crutches but was told only in children’s sizes. I’ve seen a few very fun decaled rollarcarts””
      Remember to make sure the crutch or cane is the correct height for you-makes the biggest different.
      The Rollling Cane is super but rather forbidding. My crutches do tend to fall with I’m trying to shop. Then someone comes along and picks it up for me. That’s when I think about getting a rollercart. I’ve been known to push a store’s baby carriage for support when I couldn’t find a regular shopping cart.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2007 at 7:58 am

Hi, Cheryl.

‘Paralysis event’–I like that. It says so much more than ‘I’m relapsing’. I think I’ll use it from now on!

Deb