cramping feet

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2011 at 2:13 am

I’ve been having severe cramping in my feet. Enough to scream out in pain and when this happens… I can’t move my feet. so much pain that I can’t flex my feet. Has anyone experienced this during recovery? I’m not sure why this would be happening now?

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2011 at 7:30 am

I have had GBS 3 1/2 yrs. I have severe cramping in feet similar to yours, it seems to happen when I’m in bed if I straighten my legs or move in my sleep.
      When I get out of bed it sometimes happens when I set up with legs over the side of the bed to get it the wheel chair.
      All I can do is hang on and wait until its stops, when the feet do this I can’t move them until it does stop.
      Good luck
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm

sometimes putting on a warm pack helps with the cramping

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Calcium, Vitamin D Plus Magnesium. These are often depleted in our systems due to our pain medications such as lyrica and neurontin and other similar meds. Start taking doses slowly…but? I suggest you ask your GP to take a full metabolic blood panel and get a copy of those results… Some things NOT “*”ed are very often borderline. It’ll take about a month to ‘resolve’ this IF this is the problem. In my own case? It slowly and simply stopped being an issue. Hope this helps! There are times when we DO need supplements on top of all the meds! I hate it, but it can be necessary at times, and IS USEFUL! Good luck!

• May 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Yes I get this in both my hands and feet every day seems like I bend my hands or toes a certain direction and they just get stuck.

• May 18, 2011 at 8:06 am

yep, I get some nasty cramps in calfs and feet

best solution for me is to stretch and get massages

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=lovemyford]I’ve been having severe cramping in my feet. Enough to scream out in pain and when this happens… I can’t move my feet. so much pain that I can’t flex my feet. Has anyone experienced this during recovery? I’m not sure why this would be happening now?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t had that in my feet yet (about six weeks into recovery) but my hands have had that cramping pain, like a really bad charlie horse. Heat helps.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I* started cramping in my legs and feet after about 1 & 1/2 years . Doctor asked me to try Quinine . It’s in Schweppes tonic water . I asked about Gin and he said ” Why not” would help me sleep ……….
      Any how it helps me some. I still cramp but it works right out now.
      hope this helps .

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2011 at 2:18 am

thank you for caring and your help. take good care.:)

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2011 at 3:07 am

Warm packs do help. I also take magnesium glycinate as a supplement ( from compounding chemists in Aust)

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Uncramp the cramp, though it hurts; and stretch it out till it relaxes itself and there is relief.
      Otherwise, the cramp gains territory and shortens range-of-motion. It’s a fight to hold ground, and gain ground, because the illness works against muscle strength & mobility.

I’m having another battle with all of this cramping again. It’s worst in my hands, arms and shoulders this time. The only thing that helps is to brace against the cramp and stiffness and fight for ground and ease the pain.
      My hands are the worst now. Only the 2 smallest fingers on each hand can feel anything…the rest are numb and tingly all the time with a fiery pain when disturbed. And the fingers are curving inward more and more. The only thing that helps is to stretch the fingers out as wide as possible for 30 seconds, then try to straighten the fingers and flatten the hand. Some days I see a little progress; other times, just the same or worse. All my life I’ve been double-jointed till now; now I have the perfect curved fingers for piano lessons, except almost no control over them.

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2011 at 12:03 am

Thanks for the good tips everyone. I have been having calf and feet cramps a lot lately and I didn’t even think that it may be due to GBS. Stretching and heat packs. Got it!

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2011 at 12:12 am

Thanks for the good tips everyone. I have been having calf and feet cramps a lot lately and I didn’t even think that it may be due to GBS. Stretching and heat packs. Got it!