crafting…and CIDP

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2006 at 12:37 pm

When my neuro first did the electric tests on my nerves he asked me if I was using my hands in a lot of repetitive movements, like knitting… I was shocked because I had just learned to crochet and had been going pretty much non-stop at it since the beginning of the summer… I had my “attack” that led to the CIDP in July of that summer (2005)… I have often wondered if the overuse of my hands “triggered” the attack… Ever since, I have been afraid to start crocheting again… Anyone have a similar problem with crafting..??? :confused:

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2006 at 12:40 pm

I have no answer to your question. However, if I could use my fingers properly, large cross stitch is on the top of my list.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2006 at 12:59 pm

Hello Aimee,
      I think I could say “similiar” problems. Reading your post started me to think that maybe the crafts I now can do is causing my arm to ache so much. I LOVE being a “CRAFTY” person and I regained that ability about a year to a year and a half ago. I can’t do knitting yet, but I can work with plastic canvas, crochet with a BIG fat hook (I’m working on an afghan), sew a little, do big design cross stitch and big design paint by number.

My left arm, and that’s the arm that aches the most because I must work it more, starting hurting me about nine months ago and since my hobbies bring me my lost contentment, I try to do something every evening.

I think I have what’s called a “golfer’s elbow” and my crafting could have caused that. I benefited from your post, this makes sense to me.

Now, where did your post go, hope you’ll still read this.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2006 at 1:16 pm

Hi Liz…

I know….I have kept all of my yarn, needles, etc… I’m just not sure if I should start again… :confused:

What is funny (not really) is that while I was waiting for the results on the MRIs that they had done, I tried to keep my mind off things by crocheting even more… 😮

aimee

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 11:49 am

Aimee and Liz, if i were you (and i am a crafter also) i would continue to do what you like to do–it is therapy for the muscles and the mind! i was crocheting before my first event, it had nothing to do with my crafting, i have since bought a new sewing machine, a new serger machine and more fabric, of course. similar to you liz, i have problems with my arm(right for me) but i believe the more you use it the more you exercise the muscles in it. of course you have to make sure you don’t over do it, switch arms or hands and make sure you are sitting or standing in a supportive and comfortable position. take alot of breaks and enjoy!!

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Do you gals find that your hands burn and cramp when you hold your crafting ‘tools’. I find anything where I have to hold something in my hands eg. a shovel, potato peeler, pen, even a brush at times, hurts badly?

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Hi, gang.

I did a lot of needle work–crocheting, knitting, etc.–but since CIDP my hands tend to go to sleep fairly quickly. My son has a handheld game machine and bought me a Sudoku game for it. After playing for about five minutes my hands are so far gone that I can’t hold the thing, much less play.

And so it goes.

Deb

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 3:15 pm

Yes, my hands do cramp and when I try to sew, because I have a very poor grip, my hands become the tool I use to push needle through. I am right handed, so my work is done and held in my right hand, but the “BODY ENGLISH” goes into my left arm and that’s the one that aches alot. I think my face would make a funny picture.

I love my crafts, they are my contentment in life, so now that I can do some of them again, I won’t give them up, but I do stop and rest my arms when they ache too much. As the saying goes, “if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it”.

Aimee, I think it’s okay to do the crafts, just put it down for awhile when you ache and cramp.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Ali,

Yes to your question about having hands burn if holding small instruments. My hands cramp up and give out frequently. I have a problem holding a hammer, screwdriver, paring knife, toothbrush etc. for any length of time. It seems as if my hands simply quit working, cramp up and/or go numb. I don’t have much strength in them either.

I haven’t done much quilting since the GBS but I did finish a quilt before our recent move and I had to take it in small chunks in order to get it done because my hands were so bad. However, they did get better with use as long as I didn’t overdo things.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 12:30 pm

aimee, have you tried the special large handle hooks, or putting pencil grippees on your hooks? i did that and it makes a difference in the amount of fatigue to your hands and fingers. for kitchen utensils i bought all oxo products-they have large grip handles on everything, alot easier to hold.

• Anonymous
      February 18, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Typing on the computer and just reading the boards makes my hands burn. I just take plenty of breaks and do different things. I do many crafts and like to scrapbook. They all take a toll on my hands. I will not give up those things I would not have anything else left to do every day. I don’t notice it as much when exercising because I am going from one task to another and not repeating stuff as much as you would doing crafts. Hang in there!