Cord Blood Banking

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2010 at 10:21 am

Hi there –

My wife and I are having a baby next month, and are going to put the umbilical cord blood into a blood bank in case we need it for stem cells for either my CIDP or if something happens to our child later on.

Does anyone know if there is a big difference between banking cord blood with or without the placenta? Our hospital is very good but will not do it with the placenta. I don’t want to change our hospital at this point, but was wondering if it not having it would nullify the benefit of having the cord blood for CIDP.

Anyone know the answer to this?

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I don’t know the answer. I would think the cord blood would be fine alone. That is where all the stem cells are. But that’s just my mom-opinion.

I have to say that I think it is a fantastic idea for you to do this. I wish I would have had the opportunity to save Emily’s cord blood.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      January 23, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Ask the hospital what the reason is. I have not done any research and have no clue?? But I am sure they have a reason why.

What a tremendous idea. Especially for those of us with a tendency towards autoimmune disease

Dick S

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2010 at 3:11 am

I stored both of my childrens cord blood when they were born, 4 years ago and 21 months ago. I used ViaCord. They sent me a kit that has all the essentials needed to collect the cord blood for stem cell purposes. If the ob/gyn has a kit, you will have everything needed to collect the stemcells. I honestly can’t remember if the placenta was stored (I was a little out of it during the birth:eek: )! I think that the kit brought a few vials for blood and also a bag for blood, like the kind used when donating blood. I did receive a letter from the company stating that the collection was a success and there was a very good amount of stem cell blood collected (67% of the bag). So actually, I don’t think you need the placenta itself, just the blood. The doctors should know how to collect it from the placenta. Find out (AND FAST!) what company your doctor is comfortable collecting with. There are a few, Viacord, CBR, and more. They all offer payment plans so you are not slammed with a $2k (or more) bill right before you have a baby. I did my research and went with Viacord because of the advances they have made in diabetes and lukemea. I receive quarterly magazines telling me all the strives they are making with their research. Regardless of who you choose, make sure the kit arrives soon. Your doctor might even have a few collection boxes in his/her office. Mine did from several companies. It is a great “insurance policy” for the “you never knows”. Although research hasn’t caught up with the science of collection, I am very confident it will.
      Congratulations on the baby!
      BYW: I had a nerve biopsy performed before getting pregnant with my second child to confirm it wasn’t hereditary and it isn’t! SO that is one less worry you have!
      Congrats again:)