confessed mom

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 5:43 pm

My son got gbs in basic training. They said that it could of been caused from the shots that he got there. Is that true? I have read so much and don’t know what to beleave. Does gbs come back?

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 6:47 pm

I am sorry to hear about your son. Yes GBS can come from shots. Mine came from a flu shot and have read that others have got it from the Tetnis shot and neumonia shot. I know when I was in the service in basic we got so many shots in one day several of us had to go to the hospital from reactions. I pray your sons GBS was caught early. my prayers and blessing are with you and your son Steve

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Ann,

Copy and past the following URL (we unfortunately cannot post links on the forum). You will find Vaccine Information Statements (VIS); going through all the possible reactions that one can have with each vaccine. A few of them do mention the possiblity of Guillain Barre Syndrome. But interestingly, most say the following:

[quote]
      [B]What if there is a moderate or severe reaction?[/B]
      [B]What should I look for?[/B]
      Any unusual condition, such as a severe allergic
      reaction or a high fever. If a severe allergic
      reaction occurred, it would happen within a few
      minutes to an hour after the shot. Signs of a
      serious allergic reaction can include difficulty
      breathing, weakness, hoarseness or wheezing, a fast
      heart beat, hives, dizziness, paleness, or swelling of
      the throat.
      [/quote]

You will note in there they say weakness and difficulty breathing.

Some of our members have got GBS from vaccines, however from published data it is supposedly less than patients who get GBS from infections, after operations etc. There is a number you are supposed to call if a reaction has been seen – have they contacted or reported that this is the case?

The likelihood of getting gbs a second time is between 1 – 3%, which is small. The important thing to realize is that there are residuals, and they do flare up. Residuals include, amongs other things, extreme fatigue, lack of the same stamina you had before onset, pain, numbness, pins and needles etc.

How is your son doing now? Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 7:38 pm
    • Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Hi Ann, welcome and sorry to hear about your son. In addition to the vaccinations I would think that basic training itself could be a trigger for GBS. That is a huge stress on the body which can lead to many illnesses, those illnesses can then be a trigger.

Keep coming back and ask lots of questions if you need to. Take care and send your Son my best.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 12:48 pm

My son is doing very good after having 2 month phyically therpy . He went through basic training again and had one month left of AIT. I am really proud of him for staying in when he could of got out with a medical. He really believes in what he is going