Concussion

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 12:48 am

Hi,
      Haven’t posted in a while but wanted to see if anyone who has CIDP has ever had a concussion. I unfortunatley fell and hit my head very hard in the shower two months ago. The first cople days I just kept ice on it at night and was sore but otherwise okay. About a week later I started have the tingly numbness on my scalp but no pain or headaches. I finally went to the dr. and he examined and ruled that I gave my self a concussion but with no headaches or dizzyness I should be okay and I have read that you can have symptoms of a concussion for months. Just wondering if from the CIDP my nerves are taking longer to heal and if anyone else has ever had these symptoms after a good head bonk? I stilll have some numbness but the dr. has me on xanax which totally helps..I try to stop but within a day or two the symptoms return…Any suggestions.Thanks
      Lynette

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Many many years ago in my wild and stupid days I had a 2×4 broken over my head. It didn’t take me down and I can remember the surprised look when I turned and asked the other guy if that’s all he had. I walked away from that altercation… That night I had a headache and I wound up in the hospital with a very mild concussion and stayed the night for observation. But that was more years ago than I can count.

Since then a few other thing have rang bell. Playing sport, especially football [America] Viet Nam. The last time was during Desert Storm. Is there a correlation? Possible, but I doubt it. I think it would have effected the central nervous system if there was, but then I’m not a doctor.

Sorry, I misread your post. In the ten to fifteen years I lead a rather a rather calm life. I did smack my head in the show when I passed out and again when I passed out and broke my tibia. Both times the head was fine. You have to remember I come from a thick head [literally] linage. My grandfather was a cop in Yonkers NY and was shot in the head with a 32 hollow point round. The bullet did not penetrate his skull, but did wipe out his inner ear. That wiped out his balance. He would take me for walks in my baby carriage because he could hold on to the handle and keep his balance.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Jim,
      Thanks for your reply,I thought the same thing being the head is with the central nervous system and not my peripheral but was just wondering if anyone else has expeienced slow healing with cidp.
      lynette

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 5:01 am

Lynette,

During the time my CIDP was raring the worst, I hit my head on a door jamb really hard. Two days I conked it again on some heat ducts in the basement. Afteer that I had headaches for a couple of years.

I don’t think it had anything to do positively or negatively with my CIDP. Eventually I found the right medicinal regimen and the headaches passed. I do occasionally get them now and again but not like before.

On another note, just a “be careful” note. Many times it is easy to lump together things and make it all be CIDP. Lots of people want one singular answer, and then that is it. CIDP is a demyelinating polyneuropathy. I also have sleep apnea, severe ringing in my ears, these crappy headaches, back surgery, neck surgery, and my gall bladder out. Unfortunately, none are related to the other.

Good luck !!!

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2008 at 12:22 am

Thanks Dick, you are right about anytime something happens the first thought in my mind is”it happen because I have CIDP”. My doctor suggested a CT scan but I thought I would wait. I still have some numbness especially around my face..I think I will give it another two weeks and if it is the same will go in for a ct scan. Thanks for the reply.
      Lynette

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2009 at 12:42 am

I finally went to the chriroprator and he did x-rays of my neck and guess what was causing the numbness???? MY C2(second vertabra on neck) was just tilted enough to cause my muscle to tighten to cause numbness. I have had 6 ultrasound therapies and am very impressed with the results…You were right Dick…it had nothing to do with my CIDP.