Computer Smart Members, Help Me!!!

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Hello,
      I need help so I can keep my computer running and safe from viruses. Yesterday, my computer was down, crashed I guess, couldn’t access the internet. I called a repairman and I am back online, but I’m really worried that I’m going to crash again. THE COMPUTER IS MY LIFELINE. I don’t know how to straighten out my anti-virus/firewall protection. I don’t know if it’s working right now. I have CA anti-virus, also call E Z Armour and I like this better then Norton or McAffee. The repairman had uninstall and re-install using a “TRIAL'” which will probably expire in 29 more days. Repairman told me to call CA anti-virus and tell them a trial was installed and ask for a new license/key number. I CANNOT FIND A PHONE NUMBER OR AN EMAIL for CA other then what appears online, which doesn’t give me the option to talk to a person or ask what I need to ask. I think I’m just going to get useless automated replies.

Also, the repairman told me that I need to increase the RAMS to 512 so my computer can run better. He said to call DELL. When I call DELL, am I asking for a CD/SOFTWARE to install??? I don’t know ANYTHING about RAMS.

If I disappear for a few days, my computer went down again!

I’m also having a problem logging in here now.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 1:15 pm

RAM is random access memory. Basically your hard drive is full & you need more space to put stuff on. To clear up some more space you can delete your cookies & defrag your computer. I’m not sure on who to do that but I’m sure your tech guy can talk you through it.

You can get that anywhere – not just from Dell. I know that Best Buy sells it and sometimes has pretty good sales.

I’m not sure on the anti-virus stuff because my husband handles that. We have a free anti-virus called Avast.

I’ll go check out your anti-virus website to see if I can find any info for you there.

*I just went to the website. Was it time to renew your subscription? Maybe that is why it wasn’t working. I can’t find a way to call them. The only thing I could find was at the very bottom of the page there’s a small icon “contact us”. When I clicked on it, it was a page to have them email you. At the top of that page there’s an icon to click on for the FAQ section. Maybe you can find something there.*

Sorry I wasn’t much help. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 1:31 pm

No too much help from me, but I think when that anti-virus software runs its course (29 days), it should give you a notice and a way to contact them. Of course you cannot be proactive on that. Darn.

Also, whenever something is done to the memory (cleaned up, etc.), you will have to re-enter your usernames and passwords for ALL the websites you go to regularly and that you have to log into – like here.

With the price of computers being fairly low compared to a few years ago, I would strongly recommend getting another computer in the very near future.

So start your list of web sites, usernames and passwords. And start saving your pennies for a new computer!

Good Luck!

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Hi Liz,

Here are some easy tips and suggestions that will help you maintain your computer. I will try to explain as if you have never done this before (just in case). Reading the instructions are harder than it is to do it once you get familiar w/the process.

1. Remove excess program files that you never use:

start -> control panel -> add or remove software

Take a look at the programs that you have that are installed. For example do you have old programs installed that are never used? LiveUpdate (Symantec Corp) is Norton antivirus usually installed by the manufacturer, and takes ~ 9+MB. Highlight it, if you would like to remove it, and click “remove”. Repeat this process for other programs that you are certain you won’t need. Some of the things I removed are demo tax applications for 2003, email applications(Outlook), internet games I never play, programs for printers, cameras, or other devices that I no longer own. Do not remove any programs that you can’t tell what they are.

One thing you do want to have installed is Windows Software Updates. Scroll down, and highlight it – then look to the right of the box, it should show when you last used it (if installed) or offer to install it (if not installed)

3.When you are through, you will be instructed to reboot – click ok.

Each time you turn on your computer, you will now have fewer programs “hogging” your resources (memory, hard drive space).

By the way, rebooting will “load” your E Z Armour software that the tech installed. It usually runs in the background, which means that you don’t notice it. Take a look at the bottom, right corner of your screen. Next to the clock, highlight each icon – the program name associated w/each icon should pop up. If you find one for Armour, click on it (may have to double click). The program software will now appear in the foreground. Most times, there are tabs that give you options – “support” tab or “update” tab may be one that will connect you directly to obtain the key you need. You will most likely be asked to subscribe for a monthly fee. At one time when I used Computer Associates, I was able to talk to a live operator (something like instant messaging) through these program options when I had problems .

For your problems logging in to the forum, it may be that all your cookies from the site are deleted. It appears you are in now, so be sure to check the “remember me” box if you want to automatically log in each time you visit.

4. There is an award-winning free program that I use, and installed on both my kids’ computers: Ad-Aware by Lavasoft. It screens your hard drive for “monitoring” programs that are installed by other websites you have visited. You need to update the definitions on a regular basis, just like your virus software. (If you don’t understand this part I can explain over the phone easier) Here’s the address: [url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/[/url]

5. After making changes to your programs, data, etc it is a good idea to defrag your hard drive. On my system, it is
      start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> disk defragmenter. If you have never done this, it could take all night, depending on the size of your hard drive. Don’t be alarmed. Reboot when finished. You should find your computer running smoother.

Hope I have been of some help in making you comfortable with maintaince of your computer.

cd

oops – forgot – ram is hardware that needs to be installed if you still feel your computer is running slow. I would very gently suggest to be careful if it is a laptop as they don’t have a lot of room for upgrades – adding parts under the hood makes them run hotter. Desktops are no problem.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 4:18 pm

Liz,

If you decide to clear out all you cookies make sure you copy on a piece of paper all the web sites you want to return too.

I tried to write down any web sites that I like and keep them with my old web sites I go to.

You can also go to your start menu, click on programs, then click on accessories, click on system tools, click on disk cleanup, then see what you want the computer to clean up. I do this once a week to get rid of downloads I don’t need. It frees up so much space that you can’t believe it.

Hope that helped a little for you.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Also Liz if your using Internet Explorer. You have to delete your temporary internet files. You go to tools and internet options and if you have the latest Internet Explorer you click on browsing history delete button and another window pops up and and delete the one that says Temporary internet files.

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Liz, sorry about chiming in so late. I’ve used several different anti-virus software over the years including Norton and McAfee. I finally cancelled my subscription to McAfee because i got disgusted with it. It has gotten so bulky and obnoxious that it was simply too much for home users – and I think I am pretty experienced. I found an excellent absolutely f r e e program I’ve been using since last year, AVG from Grisoft. It updates itself almost daily. No strings attached. If you are interested, here is the link
      [url]http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html[/url]
      Be careful, there is also a free edition. If you decide to use AVG, you must uninstall the old one the technician installed for you.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 6:56 pm

One thing you have not mention is what windows do you have ex– 98 2000 or XP let me know ans may be able to help also with Dell in most cases you have to buy from Dell Steve

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 7:27 pm

[QUOTE=codystanley]

Also, the repairman told me that I need to increase the RAMS to 512 so my computer can run better. He said to call DELL. When I call DELL, am I asking for a CD/SOFTWARE to install??? I don’t know ANYTHING about RAMS.

If I disappear for a few days, my computer went down again!

I’m also having a problem logging in here now.[/QUOTE]

Random Access Memory RAM is hardware and has to be installed. Take a look at the image below. That’s what RAM looks like. Just to make things more fun, there are different types. A lot is going to depend on how old your machine is.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6210/rambs5.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
      If you are not so handy with computers you might want to bring it to a repair shop.
      Now for the big questions, how old is the machine, what operating system does it use and what is the size of your hard drive? If you machine is four year old or older, you might just want to purchased a new machine.
      If you do it through a computer store, they can transfer all your files from you old hard drive. That way you will not loose your email addresses etc.

When you clean up your current hard drive you are just making space for a virtual memory. That makes you machine run much slower. Increasing than amount of RAM should increase your speed. Once again it comes down to what you use the computer for, the software you run and how much you want to spend up upgrade.

If this doesn’t make to much sense, just email me and I’ll try and help.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 11:05 pm

Liz,

Here are the customer support numbers for Computer Associates:

[B]Contacts and Information[/B]

[B]Contacting Support[/B]
      Product Licensing Phone: +1 800 338-6720 (8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET)
      SupportConnect Phone: +1 631 342-6364 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET)
      Technical Support Phone: +1 800 645-3042 (8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET)

Also if you want to get additional RAM installed see if that person will help you order it through Dell and install it for you. If it seems like that person wasn’t very helpful maybe see if you can find another person to do it for you. They will need to see what type of RAM you have installed already and what type needs to be ordered.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Dear Family,
      Thank you for the replies. I panic BIGTIME when something goes wrong with my computer and only my family here can understand that it’s a lifeline for me. I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT I HAVE WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION. I’m still online, so I’m beginning to feel confident that I won’t crash again. I only seem to have lost a few things, but all can be set up again, no big deal, nothing was a permanent loss. And it seems like I now have to LOGIN each time I come here, but no big deal.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PM COMPACDISC, I”LL PROBABLY TRY TO CALL YOU IN A FEW DAYS. I JUST HAVE A FEW MORE THINGS TO WORK THROUGH.

[IMG]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7403/tysomuchlm0.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Liz if you feel you have messed up all you do is go to systum recovery and it will ask how far back you want to go to recover. if you loose anything it will find it and restore your computer. Windows XP is very user friendley. if your computer locks up turn it off and wait a few mins then back on. How old is your computer as if it is older than 3 yrs you need service pk 1 & 2 this will block hackers and virus.s I use Norton and have for many yrs and it has not failed me yet. If you need any more help let me know and will be glad to guide you through it Steve [email]mochacat@att.net[/email]