complications and doing well

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2006 at 10:09 am

My Dad got into a car accindent and a week later on a vent and
      couldn’t move from the neck down. He was on the vent 17 days, he was
      then put in a regular room with no monitors. aroung 38 hours later he coded.
      He was in a coma veg state for 38 days it didn’t look good. He slowly started
      to come around. dealing with gbs and hypoxic brain injury sucks! But he
      is now walking with a cane dressing him self and he even went fishing this
      week. He was in the hospital for six months and rehab for six months. My
      dad gets very sad and often wants to give up but he keeps going. there are so many things going on and we don’t know if they are gbs or brain related?
      here is my question his hands are still not working correctly he can’t bend his
      thumb and his fingers bend up, and his big toe is always hurting anyone else
      have this problem? His eye sight comes and goes but I’m pretty sure that is
      the brain. My advice to you all is watch your loved one have someone with
      them as much as possible trust your gut when you don’t think things are
      right.

God Bless You All

Shelly

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2006 at 10:18 am

hi shelly & welcome,

as you said too, it is hard to be sure what is causing what…

gbs stands for Get Better Slowly. recovery has up & down times. resting in a prone position is important. neurontin for neurological pain [toe]. you must manually bend his fingers including thumb towards the correct position. stop when pain is moderate. w time you will be able to bend them more, pt/ot would help here.

take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2006 at 4:43 pm

Shelly,

Most, if not all of us with GBS, go through depression. See Lee’s post on this Forum today for a good guessplaination of why and how.

Getting some anti-depressents for your dad should relieve the depression, and may also help with the pain. For some unknown reason, anti-depressants (some types) have the side effect of helping pain.

He may need to try several types before getting the one that works for him.

Best wishes to you and your father.

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2006 at 11:05 pm

It’s unfortunate that your father has had such a long and challenging course, and I hold you both in my prayers. Since there is an ABI (Aquired Brain Injury) I would urge you to consider seeking out resources through your local rehab hospital for ABI, since this area of recovery can have implications beyond what we would see on this forum. There is testing and therapy in cognitive, speech, sensory integration, and occupational therapy, which can make dramatic changes in a person’s eventual outcome. Best wishes.:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2006 at 11:12 am

Many of us have vision problems of various sorts. If I over tire, I never see as clearly! I was not able to get an accurate perscription for my glasses for over 6 years ~ and even then it was a “guess”! Remember, your dad’s nerves have been assulted and there is no way to know which ones for sure and to what degree. Only time tells us the most truth. Even after 11+ years I am still improving. Don’t give up!

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2006 at 11:43 pm

My eyes gradually looked normal in that they were no longer paralyzed after GBS at age 20, but I began wearing bifocals to work on a computer writing and editing full-time at the age of 30. By 40 I had trifocals, and now a decade a later my eyes just don’t last long at all. I’ve learned to live with it but it’s the pits at times. WHether this is just me, or not, I don’t know.