Comments on Neuromuscular Neurologist

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Very interesting letter to Neurology Now mag. Also a patient resource book that may be helpful, I havent read it – has anyone else?

[quote]
      Neurology Now:Volume 4(2)March/April 2008p 9
      [B]Neuropathy: Not Just Pain[/B]

[SIZE=1][I]USA Retired Support Group Leader for the Neuropathy Association, Florida[/I][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE]
      Your listing of the Neuropathy Association under the topic of Pain in Resource Central is appreciated, but it unfortunately reinforces a myth. While pain is a major symptom in some (but not all) neuropathies, other serious symptoms of this condition are too often ignored.

The Neuropathy Association should be listed under the section on Neuromuscular Disease. Pain is only one of the disabling symptoms of this disease, which affects both peripheral nerves and muscle function. A neuromuscular neurologist is the person most qualified to diagnose and help a patient with a peripheral neuropathy.

I would also like to refer readers to a 2007 patient resource book entitled Peripheral Neuropathy: When the Numbness, Weakness, and Pain Won’t Stop, written by Norman Latov, M.D., Ph.D., of Weill Medical College, Cornell University and cofounder of the Neuropathy Association. For patients, they can obtain a copy of this very helpful book for just $10 on their Web site book store at [URL=”javascript:newWindow(‘http://neuropathy.org’,’popup’,’width=550,height=500,location=yes,toolbar=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes’)”][COLOR=#0000ff]neuropathy.org [/COLOR][/URL].

[I]LtCol Eugene B. Richardson[/I]
      [I]USA Retired Support Group Leader for the Neuropathy Association, Florida[/I]

Copyright © 2008, AAN Enterprises, Inc
      [/quote]

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Hi Alison,

I enjoy those Neurology Now magazines every month. I saw what you are talking about and thought the $10 was a real decent price. So, aren’t you a reader???? Let us know how the book is (hint, hint) 😉

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I see a Neuromuscular Neurologist and he walks on water as far as I’m concerned. I spent 8 months going nowhere with my other neurologist and now have some type of treatment plan in place and have made progress.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Chrissy …..
      i am thinking of getting a book 😀 , I think even if it is used as a reference guide for patients I speak to. will let you know once I have read it. I do enjoy a lot of the articles in Neurology Now – always very interesting info.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Gabe,
      the reason for posting this was for all those who do suffer from that awful pain and didnt know – I certainly didnt. I was curious who saw a neuromuscular neuro. Doesnt it just make all the difference in the world when you see the right person:) ? I would definitely feel the same way if I found someone like you have.

• April 24, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Kevin’s doc whom we adore is the head of Muscular Dystrophy in the Chicaago area and the chief of pediatric neurology at Rush in Chicago. We love him, he made the correct dx after two regular pediatric neurologists said conversion disorder and cmt. He, being neuromuscular knew right away it was not cmt and Kevin had ivig w/in hours after 3 weeks of running around with the other docs.
      Dawn