Coming up for 12 month anniversary of GBS

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2007 at 12:44 am

Next week (20th) will mark one year since i came down with GBS. I can still remember the day clearly, woke up with pins and needles in my hands and blurred vision and by lunchtime i was in emergency. From there on it all becomes a bit of a blur. I tell the story of my experience but it is almost like i am talking about someone else. I know it happened and i remember how i felt at the time, but it like a distant memory now … I suppose that is a good thing!

I was lucky enough to recovery quickly (by GBS standards anyway) and have been pretty much back to normal for quite some time now. I have been back at work for 6 months now and the fatigue is only an occasion inconvenience rather than a problem these days.

i am guessing that the emotional effects of GBS will last much longer than the physical effects for me. There is hardly a day goes by that i dont think about what i went through or others who are going through the same thing. I try and check in on the forum almost every day. I also think the experience has made me who i am today and hopefully there has been some positives out of the whole experience.

Anyway, just wanted to thank all the wonderful people on this forum who have helped me over the past 10 months. I only wish i had found out about the forum whilst i was in hospital as i sure could have used the support and knowledge when i was at my lowest.

M

• July 14, 2007 at 2:31 am

good to hear you have done so well! It is encouraging and inspiring.

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Your kids look beautiful. They must keep you busy. Glad to hear how well you are doing physically. GBS is definitely a traumatic experience and dealing with the emotional trauma is as important as dealing with the body. I find the anniversaries hard times as I experience many things all over again, but it is good to let yourself reexperience and remember. Much of the psychological work with trauma these days is based on remembering and reexperiencing. Well happy anniversary. Jeff

• July 15, 2007 at 9:21 am

Im glad you doing so well, It is good to hear succsessfull stories about GBS becouse that keep us in the hope for better recover. I send all my best wishes to you and your family.
      xoxoxooxoxoxo
      Helga,
      ps. I was buying a printer for my candleworkshop from Australia yesterday 🙂

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 7:58 pm

I Have 10 Weeks Since I Was In Emg Room W/gbs; I Need Get Recover And Back To Work; Hope I Recover Faser Like You. Happy Happy Aniversary.

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 5:16 am

I mentioned in my previous post about how it all seems like a distant memory, apart from the day of my onset which is as clear as anything a year down the track. Well, the other thing I remember vividly are the hallucinations. There was one where i went on a big trip under the hospital on a conveyor belt and discovered an amusement park being built and to cut a long story short nearly got dropped off the edge of a cliff by a maintenance person who was suopposed to be rescuing me (and i thought this was true at the time!) Anyway, while i was hanging off the edge of the cliff, a tow truck came to tow me to safety and the song playing atthe amusement park was Fat Boy Slim “Praise You” At the time i thought it was appropriate as i obviously owed praise for being rescued – not from GBS but from my imaginary predicament. Well, i have heard that song on the radio so many times lately and no, the music is not that far behind in Australia. Every time i hear it Iam transported back to that hallucination. I can remember it as clear as anything (even though it was all imagined!) yet the real experience is a blur.
      It just seems a bit of a coincidence that i keep hearing this song on the radio … and i never liked it when it first came out either.:confused:

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Yolande,

Congrats on your Anniversary, glad to hear that you are recovering well. Take care of yourself.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2007 at 6:24 am

Maybe it is all in my head as i have had the big 1 year mark in the back of my mind, but last few days I have felt worse than i have in a long time. For the last couple of days my arms and legs have felt really heavy and i havent felt quite right. I am hoping it is just residuals and not the other “R” word. Surely if i was going to have a relapse the odds of it happening exactly a year later would be pretty slim.