cidp information

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I am going to school for a medical assistant and we have to do a slide presentation of any health issue or illness. I want to do mine on CIDP. I need to be able to down load the information on a flash drive. I went to the mayoclinic.com and they had nothing on CIDP. The mayo clinic websites are set up to do slideshows. If any one knows a website I can go to for my information and be able to download please let me know. I want to do CIDP because my husband had it and recently passed away in November. Many health care professionals do not even what it is. Doing this research will be therapeutic for me. The presentation will be due in about a month but I want to start my research now. Thanks

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2009 at 10:16 pm

cookiegirl,

I’m sorry for your loss. I just joined the GBS/CIDP Foundation and they mailed me a pamphlet that contains a very good description of CIDP and a few good diagrams of nerve fibers and how CIDP attacks them. I received this info from the group in approx. 2-3 days. If you’d like it sooner, I’d be happy to scan and email them to you.

Paul

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Hi,
      HUGS TO YOU, so good to see you’re staying with our group. I don’t know anything about doing a slideshow so I can’t help. Try Ken L, our photographer, maybe he knows what to do.

If you need to interview people, I have CIDP and roll to the beat of a different drummer.

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2009 at 12:40 am

Pablo I sent you a private message. Thanks Cody I contacted Ken to see if he could help me. I will let you all know how my project went.

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2009 at 3:13 am

Hi, Cookie.

The UK website has a good booklet on CIDP at
      [url]www.gbs.org.uk/info/cidp.htm[/url], but it doesn’t have any images in it.

Best wishes,

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2009 at 3:39 am

Thanks Deb I will check it out.

• Anonymous
      February 18, 2009 at 1:54 pm

[SIZE=”4″]Sorry for your loss. CIDP is a really bad disease to get. I know there’s worse stuff out there. But let’s face,we’re dealing this as best we can. its no picnic. Anything that one of the treatments is Chemo, its not good.:mad: [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2009 at 3:01 pm

FYI, the foundation has a dvd on CIDP. They are very good at mailing things out the same day. just go to the store, I think they have them for sale on there, otherwise call the office.

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Hi everyone I am doing my outline tonight for my power point presentation that is due Monday. One of the points I want to make is how if effects your life personally. I know in my situation is was quite sad for me to watch my strong husband not be able to do things he used to love. He told me once he missed working in the yard. You may send me a private message if you want. Thanks

• March 4, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Hi Cookiegirl. I’m glad to see that you’re still working to become a medical assistant. I think your husband would be honored and proud.

I am glad to share how this affected me for your paper. If this is not enough info for you, please send me a PM and I’ll help even more.

CIDP has drawn me closer to God. I have been reminded of my dependence upon Him. I have also been made more sensitive to His grace, His provision and just how complex this body is that He created, how tenuous life is and how important is the fact that He keeps all creation together. It has been wonderful though how the people of God have supported and loved me through this. That’s probably the most special thing I’ve experienced.

Secondly, I was always very physically active; working out, running; golf; bicycling; swimming; hiking; walking… you name it. The impact CIDP had on my physically was very hard to deal with. Of course the fatigue, treatments and trying to stay healthy has impacted my social activities somewhat.

Third, CIDP impacted my work. This is what surprised me most of all. I work in an office, but travel significantly and of course travel is tough with the swelling in my legs. But the thing that is surprising was that CIDP took so much of my mental energy or focus that I didn’t realize that what it took away from my work which had a significant cost to me.

Fourth, emotionally it was tough at first. But I tend to deal with challenges by being a realist and getting on with my life so the emotional part wasn’t too tough. But it has been hard on me to see how hard this has been on my wife. I like that the least.

I hope this helps … Gary

PS I ran into someone from central Texas on the Caribbean cruise who was a professional clown. She called herself “Cookie”. I asked her if she was from Mansfield, but she said no. I thought I had met you…

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Thank you so much for your input. I am sending you a pm. Does anyone else have any info. they would like to share. When I tell people my husband had CIDP np one has ever heard of it. People knows what ALS is though. I tell them it is similar to that.

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 11:35 pm

As far as my name cookiegirl. I gave myself that name because I used to be a bakery manager for many years at big supermarket chain and I love baking cookies.

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Hi everyone I did the powerpoint presentation today. I think I did well. We were graded on the students and the teacher. This was very therapeutic for me. Until I did the power point I wanted my husband to be with me. Doing it made me realize he suffered a lot. I got through the presentation without crying. Some of the students after class told me I did a very good job explaining what it is and how it effects people. Some of the students said they had heard of it but did not know much about it. I will let you all know what my grade is on the powerpoint. Thanks everyone for their input.

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Cookiegirl,

You get an “A+” for courage. Way to go!

Paul

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Hi everyone I made a 98 on my powerpoint. The teacher said I was well prepared very knowledgeable, did a lot of research. She appreciated the fact that I chose such a personable topic. I do not know why but this was therapeutic for me. Explaining the illness made me realize how much my husband suffered.

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Cookie,
      Congrats on the excellent grade and thank you so much for educating others abt CIDP. I’m sorry abt your husband’s suffereing and your loss. I am grateful you are healing while educating others. You are very brave!

Erin

• March 11, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Congratulations Cookiegirl. WOW a 98. And thank you too for being there for all of us.

Gary