CIDP grip strength

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Hi,

I would like to know if anybody can give me some info on the grip strength progression in the recovery period of CIDP. My brother has been in recovery for about 6 months and his grip strength has progressed from 0.5 and 0.6 lbs/sqinch to 6 and 8 in left and right hand. With normal strength for a 30 year old around 110 lbs/sqinch is this normal to have such slow improvements. Does it get exponentially better from here? I understand he may not be able to regain the full strength, but does anybody have something that i can measure against? His wrist and hands seem to extremely limp. Should 6 months have given a significant change? He has had 35 plasma treatments and is doing physio and ergo 3 times a week.

Any help is appreciated.

• GH
      October 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Exponentially? You mean negative exponentially. The fastest recovery typically comes early, as remyelination occurs. Axonal healing takes much longer and may not be 100%. The degree of recovery in any particular case depends on the nerve damage, which will differ between individual cases. My hands recovered from a completely useless state to nearly normal strength in about six months. All you can do is regular exercize and hope for improvement. I used hand putty and elastic bands to exercize my hands and arms, but the key is the underlying nerve damage and healing.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Hi GH,

I meant exponentially in the positive sense. Did you have any axonal damage and if so how long did that take? I know it’s hard to predict as everyone is different. What would you say would be the timeline for axonal damage? Based on my research it looks like axonal damage as his biceps and quads have healed, but forearms, wrist and hands are still very weak.

I appreciate the reply.

• GH
      October 23, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I have axonal damage in my legs. Although I have made an excellent recovery, two years after the onset of CIDP, I still have wobbly knees and constant pain in my feet. It is impossible to put a timeline on someone else’s recovery. In my own case, I don’t feel that my feet will ever be normal. But recovery is very slow, so it’s possible there will be more improvement. I have just tried to adapt to my limitations, and to help my recovery along with exercize wherever it seems to be useful.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Thanks GH,

Are you able to walk without aid? What condition where your legs in at it’s worst? can you give me a timeline for your progression in leg strength. Sorry for all the questions it’s just really hard to understand whats going on with him right now.

He is scheduled to meet the DR tomorrow for his 36th plasma treatment. What treatment did you receive?

Thanks for the help.

larry

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Hi Larry

What is the method of strength testing they are using?

• GH
      October 29, 2012 at 3:58 am

Larry, I summarized my case in another thread. It is a little over two years since the onset of my symptoms, and I have been walking without a cane for about six months now. My walking range is up to about a mile (although I don’t like to walj that far), or until my feet hurt so much I want to get off them. I first started walking with a cane in early February, 2011. At that time, my range was about two blocks and it was difficult. It was just good enough to take the bus to therapy.

At the depth of my weakness in October and November of 2010, my legs and feet were at zero for several weeks and the rest of my skeletal muscles below the neck were near zero for a few weeks. I couldn’t roll to the side unassisted.

My upper body strength returned fairly rapidly. Sometime in late November, 2010, I was able to get to a sitting position unassisted, starting from the 45° elevation of hospital bed. By the end of November, I could just barely get to my feet in the parallel bars, with therapists blocking my knees to prevent buckling. By mid December I could get up in the parallel bars and walk without assistance. Then I started walking with a walker, spotted by a therapist with a wheelchair behind me.

I went home in early January, 2011, in a wheelchair, but able to use a walker, and able to do transfers without being attended. This allowed me to function at home alone. I did about a month of home therapy in January, then was able to go out with a cane and ride the bus. Then I did outpatient therapy twice a week through the end of June, 2011. I continued to walk with a cane (outside only) until sometime in the spring of 2012, when I gave it up altogether.

My walking is not normal, but it’s close enough that it does not limit me in any important way. I’ll take it.

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2012 at 2:54 am

Thank you GH.

I’m glad you are getting better and able to have normal functions.

WTF – As for the testing they are using the grip strength machine.