CIDP, Celebrex, and Arthritis

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I have arthritis in addition to CIDP. My rheumatologist wanted me to try Celebrex, but my neurologist told me I shouldn’t take it. I am on Lyrica and get bi-weekly infusions of Gamunex. Has anyone heard of Celebrex interacting badly with CIDP or the medications used to treat it? I assume that many of us have both CIDP and arthritis, and I am curious how those of you with both are managed, medication-wise.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I don’t know but…

I think you need to get your dr’s to talk to each other & work together on your treatment plan.

It’s not fair of either dr to leave it to you to decide who to listen to. They need to talk & get on the same page.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I was diagnosed with CIDP in April, 2007. At that time, I had severely degenerating shoulders (courtesy of an auto accident when I was 17 and surgeries that accelerated the development of arthritis (before arthroscopic surgery was the norm–I know I’m dating myself)). Because of this arthritis, I had been taking celebrex for at least 3-4 years prior to developing the CIDP. I continued to take the celebrex with no changes in dosage during my treatments for CIDP. The treatments consisted of the normal course of IVIG (loading dose, maintenance doses, weaning doses, and finally off of the IVIG completely). There has not yet been any issue or problem with respect to the celebrex interfering with IVIG. Of course, all of my doctors, including primary care and neurologist, were fully aware of all prescription meds I was taking. Perhaps your doctors have some other reason, but in my experience, this did not pose a problem.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I spoke again to my neurologist. He told me that studies have linked Celebrex to arteriosclerosis, and that is why he cautions his patients. He told me that if I did decide to use Celebrex, I should not take more than 200mg a day.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

My 4 year old daughter has reactive arthritis and cidp and her Rheumatologist treads lightly with her neuromuscular doctor. She did some research and found that the best medications for people with neuro problems is either something oral like mobic or naproxen or orencia which can be given right at the end of ivig. Her doctors both believe that the ivig is treating her arthritis. The reason that we have not gone with the orencia is because a virus called Parvo b19 is what caused her arthritis and cidp and orencia suppresses the immune system and they still want her body to try and fight off this virus so they are trying to avoid this. Her Rheumatologist was convinced that her arthritis was Rheumatoid until a big shot at the NIH said no it was caused by the virus. Her wrists are a mess. Best wishes.

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2012 at 1:32 am

If you are on Celebrex, migraine medicines such as Amerge/Imitrex is contra-indicated. I always get a migraine after my IVIG infusion and took Amerge/migraine medicine. The info sheet on Celebrex (and the advertisements) say they are not compatible. I checked with both pain management and neuro doctors as well as pharmacist and they told me the combo (of Celebrex and migraine med) could cause problems. At a recent medical conference, at which I was NOT in attendance, this topic was discussed and none could point to examples that supported this medical alert. Personally, I chose to come off Celebrex while having my IVIG infusions rather than risk the consequences with migraine medicine. Now that IVIG no longer works for me I am back on Celebrex – and thankfully, the buzzing/burning in my legs/hands have turned down a few notches.