CIDP and Vitamin B6

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Can high levels of B6 cause CIDP? One of my Neuros told me it was very possible and was discussed in the NE Journal of Meds last year.

Has anyone heard of this and if there was a past discussion here I apologize for being an infrequent visitor.

Thanks

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm

[QUOTE=fsoprano]Can high levels of B6 cause CIDP? One of my Neuros told me it was very possible and was discussed in the NE Journal of Meds last year.

Has anyone heard of this and if there was a past discussion here I apologize for being an infrequent visitor.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but it seems like a lot of us with CIDP have high levels of B6. I just got my labs back from rheumetology and I have elivated B6 and D defficiency. They never even mentioned the high B6, but did put me on a RX vitamin D. Honestly, I don’t know…..only what I have seen others say.

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I believe high levels of B6 can cause neuropathy. CIDP is an autoimmune disease. Meaning the immune system has to be triggered by something to get it geared up & confused. Can high levels of B6 cause that to happen? I don’t know.

Maybe you if spend some time on Google you will be able to find out.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2010 at 8:05 pm

First off, B-6 is useful in minimum doses as it does help with nerve repair. However IT has a very low dose ‘ceiling’. It is one of the ‘B’s that doesn’t pass thru us IF we get excess.
      The two B’s needed are B-1 and B-12, That said? These B’s do pass thru unused/needed of these – just as excess Vitamin C is eliminated…IF we don’t need it.
      The probelm is that to me, at least…B-6 seems to be ‘thrown in’ to a lot of other stuff! I’d been on what I thought was a prudent vitamin and mineral regimen until I took a close look at the ‘microprint’ on the labels! I was getting over 6 TIMES the Maximum recommended amounts…and at that point? Yes, my neuropathy aspects were worse! So I eliminated them and searched and started all over again w/products that were less inclined to OD me on any one ‘good thing’.
      Do a web search of B-6 ‘overdose’ and see what you come up with! It’ll be interesting I bet. Good things and soon!

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2010 at 11:55 am

My B6 levels were off the charts due to an expensive multi vitamin I was talking for a long time. I believe my levels were more like 9 times the amount it should have been. I will search for that article I referred to because one of my Nuero’s had mentioned it.

[QUOTE=homeagain]First off, B-6 is useful in minimum doses as it does help with nerve repair. However IT has a very low dose ‘ceiling’. It is one of the ‘B’s that doesn’t pass thru us IF we get excess.
      The two B’s needed are B-1 and B-12, That said? These B’s do pass thru unused/needed of these – just as excess Vitamin C is eliminated…IF we don’t need it.
      The probelm is that to me, at least…B-6 seems to be ‘thrown in’ to a lot of other stuff! I’d been on what I thought was a prudent vitamin and mineral regimen until I took a close look at the ‘microprint’ on the labels! I was getting over 6 TIMES the Maximum recommended amounts…and at that point? Yes, my neuropathy aspects were worse! So I eliminated them and searched and started all over again w/products that were less inclined to OD me on any one ‘good thing’.
      Do a web search of B-6 ‘overdose’ and see what you come up with! It’ll be interesting I bet. Good things and soon![/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Pre-natal multi vitamins can do the trick! Low in the B-6, High in the D, and the calcium. And, nothing ‘toxic for the baby’? Hah. Without all the unnecessary ‘add-ons’! And believe me, I’m about your age to boot!
      And, yes Kelley, B-6 CAN cause or aggravate existing neuropathies. It is well documented by many respected sources. That’s how I found out. I was essentially killing myself with supplements which had a dollop of B-6 thrown in for good measure! When I took my ‘puter and ‘mapped’ out all the microprints on the bottles, I was blown away by the amount of B-6 IN EVERYTHING! I backed up, threw out a lot of stuff and researched for the ‘simplest’ sources of what I needed according to a full metabolisim report and went from there. Now I’m on course. Tho I have to admit, that I buy mostly from reputable vitamin/supplement resources who rely on their reputations for quality. Nothing from the drugstore or grocery store…as you don’t know how well those products have been handled before they get to you. Heat and cold can severely diminish the quality of some elements that we need.
      As for B-6 causing CIDP? I’ve not seen any papers in relation to this…tho I’d suspect that low or even high levels reported in metabolic tests are showing a diminished capacity to asorb properly any goodies we introduce to our systems…the only way to really know THAT part is thru muscle biopsies…Anyone want to volunteer? Do I hear silence out there? Good choice! Such tests would not be truly conclusive anyhow the way the science of it all is today.

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Well…if they can take our bone marrow sampling and a piece of our bones, among other tests that I’m sure many of us have been through…hey…bring on the muscle biopsy too…

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Such tests aren’t very reliable and, they are also ‘invasive’. One thing all here, consider for any procedure about 10-15 times [flip-flopping like a fish out of water all the way] for each one – as the prospect of being suseptible to new and more ‘quirky’ infections or other stuff is present in hospitals.
      As one who has HAD to have at least NINE invasive medical procedures in the 6+ years since I got CIDP, I have to tell you straight out that each time I even go in for blood work I’m scared silly! I don’t sleep well, and usually am on high alert before and for ‘problems’ afterwards.
      Get a copy if you can? Of your latest ‘matabolic’ blood tests and take a look at them. Many laboratories [Quest and LabCorp are good sort of] provide information about lab tests and what they mean … but be cautious there is … an ‘or not’ attached to them] The key to lab tests I’ve found is the [I]asterisks[I][/I][/I] “**” things. Often you may be just be above the low, or below the high. Those are easy to pay attention to for the vitamin or mineral aspects… I tease my docs about paying attention ONLY to those **’s things! And often what you are high or low on partners with other goodies so all I can say is TRY and avoid the biopsy route and pay a closer look at the blood work-up #’s!
      My motto these days is: The less of the invasive that can happen to me? The better! Hope this helps….don’t forget that to do most biopsies? It involves a hospital…there ARE SICK people THERE! I truly don’t want to get ‘shared’ with there.