CIDP and IB

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm

I have had CIDP for about 7 years – under treatment from Mayo, (MN). I have been on monthly ivig and take lyrica and recently added cymbalta. I have also had doses of steriods and cellcept.

I have been stable for a couple of years with the currently protocol.

But I have also developed lower abdominal pain – thought to possibly be endometreiosis (SP?) but was ruled out.

I have been doing some reading on IB and crohns – I am wondering if anyone has read connections between cidp and these gastro problems or vice versa??

Lisa

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 7:55 am

Hi Lisa! I too have CIDP but have other health issues. Lupus, B-12. Thyroid etc! I have Irritable Bowel all the time. I have been checked so many times for this and nothing ever showed up in test or Xrays until this year, I developed Diverticulitis, but the doctor claimed it was due to having IBS and caused an Inflammation of the Diverticula.
      I talked to a doctor one time asking him the same question and he told me that we have nerves in our intestines also that can cause motility problems therefore causing the IBS.
      Alot of diseases can cause IBS especially if nerves are involved. But sometimes the disease itself can cause IBS and have no nerve involvement. IBS too has been seen in normal healthy women that see it happening during their cycles!
      CIDP can also cause IBS. Crons disease you can get IBS very easily. Any autoimmune disorder can cause IBS including CIDP. If you have CIDP and no other illness you can also get IBS because of nerve damage throughout the body.
      I hope I answered this okay! Nice to meet you! And hope your tummy feels better! 😀

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 8:53 am

Emily has lower stomach pain as well. I posted about it last week. She explains it as a circle of pain around her belly button. She’s been tested for just about everything & we still don’t know what it is.

Last week someone mentioned IB & I read up on it a bit. It seems like it could be that. From what I read there’s really not much they can do for it.

Hope you get some answers soon.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 9:25 am

There are some medications that can help ease it some. I take Dicyclomine for mine. Generic Bentyl! It helps with the cramps. Prilosec Prevacid and Nexuim are also good for IBS. It helps keep the acids from over reacting. Tums also are good in helping ease IBS.
      If it gets too bad! Talk with your doctor, for he may be able to RX a good drug to help ease the pains. Lomotil is also good for IBS.
      It’s okay to have IBS every now and then and it won’t cause damage. Too much IBS can cause problems like Diverticulitis and Malabsortion Problems with vitamins.
      I am deficient on B-12 and Vitamin D and have to take meds for that. B-12 Injections and on RX Vitamin D. I have had IBS for years! But it got so bad that I was getting it all the time! 3 or 4 times a week. Even my stomach gets too much acid and causes me GERD! When you start getting to much acid it can cause Malabsortion problems with vitamins and cause defiencies!
      I hate getting that IBS stuff! Weird thing is once everything get’s out of your system then you feel okay again!