CIDP and azothiaprine

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Has anyone had any luck with azothiaprine?

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2009 at 3:18 am

Hi, Steve.

I’ve been on azathioprine for about ten months — for the first few months combined with monthly high dose IV steroids, and when I started having too many side effects from the steroids we switched back to monthly IVIg (IVIg alone stopped working for me three years ago when I moved into a more progressive form of CIDP). The combination of IVIg and aza is keeping me from getting worse, and has essentially stopped the horrendous fatigue that was so problematic.

Like all CIDP treatments, the key is finding on that works for you — very much a trial and error effort, I’m afraid. And many of the immunosuppressants such as azathioprine, methotrexate, etc., take several months to build up in the body enough to work, so don’t expect immediate miracles. But the steroids plus aza got me out of my wheelchair, and the IVIg plus aza is keeping me out.

Keep fighting,

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2009 at 12:59 am

aziathropine is an immunosuppressant that you can take for a long time. It is generally well tolerated and not as severe on the body as other treatments. If it works, you are ahead of the game. The Neuro will generally try the least harmful to the body first, and if that doesn’t work, then try harsher stuff.

I was on it for several years.

Dick S

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2009 at 2:44 pm

My son, 5 years old now, was on it for about 1 year. We and the dr. did not see any help in the drug. That was about 3 years ago. He was on that with ivig.

Lori

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2009 at 1:28 am

I was on it about 2 weeks, never even made it up to max dose (supposed to be increased over a week, but we had to hold due to severe abdominal pain).
      Also in that 2 week time period I developed an ear infection and a UTI. Not fun,…sorry I don’t have more encouarging news.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2009 at 12:00 pm

My husband was on it for two weeks approximately. When he upped the dose, he got high fever, back pain, and joint pain. By the time we got to the hospital, he was getting a little delerius and was admitted with sepsis. Wound up spending several days in hospital. Bad experience for him.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Yes, with good results. In my combination therapy, it that it has helped reduce the amount of prednisone I need. It is always hard to say what does what in a combination therapy. However, we tried something similar earlier and it did not work well, so I am confident that azathioprine has helped.

MarkEns