Cidp & Diabetes

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Happy New Year!

I have had CIDP since July 2006. One week before Christmas I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Can’t walk long distances or fast cause of foot pain. I am now taking Metformin twice a day to control sugar levels.
      Don’t know if the two are related? :confused:

Anyone else experiencing high sugars with CIDP?

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I don’t have CIDP, but GBS since May 2005. I was Type 2 Diabetic before the GBS. I was diet controlled, then got GBS, was on insulin shots during hospital stay and for a month after. Then on Metformin for a year. Now back to being diet controlled. I know mine wasn’t from the GBS because it was pre-existing. But they are both auto-immune.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2008 at 8:01 pm

My husband has CIDP and Type II Diabetes. He was finally diagnosed in 2007, although, he has been suffering since 2003. It just took a long time for us to find a Neurologist that was willing to keep looking until a diagnosis was found.

We had been able to control his diabetes with diet only until he began taking IvIG treatments. During and following these treatments, it becomes a roller coaster ride trying to get his blood sugars back under control. I just read recently about the sugars in this treatment so we will be discussing this with our Neurologist.

I am new to this forum and would love to hear how others are coping with this challenge.

Happy New Year to all.
      Sharonhh

• January 2, 2008 at 8:48 pm

First of all, make sure your ivig is not sucrose based!!!! I just read something the other day that cidp actually is higher in frequency than we think because most people w/diabetes go on to be dx w/ cidp. Both immune related of course, both w/ peripheral neuropathy. Life is so interesting and intertwined. Good luck to you!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2008 at 2:08 am

Thanks for the info re sugars in IVIG. I had no idea about that but did know the nurse likes to flush with dextrose afterward. I’ll be sure to check inot it next time I have IVIG.

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Since I also have diabetes II, I researched the different brands of IVIG a couple of years ago when I first started infusions. I found that Gamunex was the only one without sugar. One time I had to settle for Gamuguard instead but the nurse assured me that the sugar content was low and nothing to worry about.

I’m surprised that they would flush with dextrose. I was told that they were always using a saline solution. If the line was left in for another day, they used heparin as an anti-coagulation agent..

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I’m on monthly ivig and they always flush with normal saline. Then prior to going home a heparin flush. we attempt to save the needle for the three days.

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I’ll have to check about heparin and the type of IVIG. I think there is only one type of IVIG in Canada. I’ll need to do more investigating.

I’ll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for being so helpful!

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I am also type2 diabetic and have CIDP. My neurologist suggested I do my best to control theDiabetes and see what happens with the CIDP. so far so good !