Chloresteral Meds

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Has anybody taking chloresreral med had any side affects ,I tried taking these last year and it seemed to make my legs hurt and get week. so I quit taking them. I started to take them again now it seems my legs and arms are geting num. Don’t know what to do as my nunbers are high :confused:

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 1:18 pm

You didn’t say what you’re taking, but statins like Lipitor, which are the most common cholesterol drugs, can cause serious side effects, including muscle weakness and permanent muscle damage, as well as problems with your liver. Please call your doctor right away.

My cholesterol is really high, too, but I can’t tolerate the drugs. Tried Lipitor a while back, before I had CIDP, but didn’t tolerate it (digestive system problems). Recently a new doc tried me on Zetia, which is not a statin, and it gave me extreme fatigue and blurry/double vision. No one knows what these drugs can do long-term since they are so new, but in my case I choose not to try any of them again. Instead, I’m taking fish oil, trying to watch my diet, and hoping for the best. High cholesterol is a risk factor, not a cause, of heart attack. I figure with CIDP, my whole body is pretty much a risk factor :p .

Caryn

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 5:19 pm

Caryn

Try oatmeal, non-instant daily to lower your cholesteral…it works. I was on
      Lipitor and it works…however, I changed my diet and have lowered my
      numbers significantly, without the meds…they do create a lot of side effects
      plus they are expensive.

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 11:01 pm

[QUOTE=Caryn]You didn’t say what you’re taking, but statins like Lipitor, which are the most common cholesterol drugs, can cause serious side effects, including muscle weakness and permanent muscle damage, as well as problems with your liver. Please call your doctor right away.

My cholesterol is really high, too, but I can’t tolerate the drugs. Tried Lipitor a while back, before I had CIDP, but didn’t tolerate it (digestive system problems). Recently a new doc tried me on Zetia, which is not a statin, and it gave me extreme fatigue and blurry/double vision. No one knows what these drugs can do long-term since they are so new, but in my case I choose not to try any of them again. Instead, I’m taking fish oil, trying to watch my diet, and hoping for the best. High cholesterol is a risk factor, not a cause, of heart attack. I figure with CIDP, my whole body is pretty much a risk factor :p .

Caryn[/QUOTE]
      I completely agree with everything you said especially the
      part about seeing the Dr.Ihad a similiar experience and was advised to stop taking the liptor !!!

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2007 at 12:08 am

I dont have cholesterol problems but I take wellchol sometimes to stop this weird problem with having the runs forever. It never made me weak or anything. Just slowed down my digestion.