Chest Port/80 IVIG’s

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 12:02 am

[FONT=”Book Antiqua”][SIZE=”2″][/SIZE][/FONT]
      After 80 infusions, too many blown veins and inflitrations I’m getting the dreaded chest port in 36 hours-Thursday. No more decent veins left.
      I backed out before because the surgeon handed me the port and I felt it’s weight/size. Too much information.
      My family has NOT been supportive of this-they’re die hard medical folks saying “infections, infections”.
      The clinic nurses will flip come Monday when I show them my new IVIG access and they no longer have to hunt/dig for the remanents of hiding veins. I have biweekly 3 day IVIG infusions so I really need this.
      I hope my veins can recover-one big reason I’m doing this.
      I had read with great interest others experiences with ports and I thank you all.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 1:23 am

Don’t worry about it. It is honestly not that big of a deal. It’s a fairly easy procedure & it’ll be done before you know it.

My 4 year old has a Broviac catheder & her nurse said that “they (meaning PORTS & catheders) should be respected but not feared”. I think that’s great advice. You just have to be vigilant in cleaning it & having the bandages changed regularly. If there is a sign of infection then you should act on it quickly to avoid any problems.

Honestly it has changed my daughter’s life. She HATED the IV’s & it was so stressful. There is ZERO stress with the catheder & infusion days are no big deal. I’m sure once you get it you will see just how beneficial they really are.

Good luck!
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Hello,
      I never had to have a port, so I can’t advise from experience, but I do have good common sense. I was able to go through four years of IVIG’s and my veins held up. I think you are doing the right thing by getting the port, since you have experienced blown veins. And I believe that sometimes the “patient” knows best. Don’t let it stress you out that your family does not approve and are fearful of infections, just show a little understanding of their thoughts. DO learn how to keep the port clean and free from infections and learn how to protect the port when you take a shower or bath, learn what you should watch for and there should not be any problem. You may find that you’ll heave a big sigh of relief NO MORE BLOWN VEINS.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 10:33 pm

Limekat,
      Oh, my goodness ! I have had a port in my chest for 3 1/2 years with no troubles at all. Obviously mine is different than little Emilys as I have no bandages to change, or cleaning to do. I can shower as one normally does except for the three days a month when having the treatments. They insert the needle, give me my 4 hour treatment, disconnect me from the pump and I go home with the needle attached. Does not hurt at all. But if showering then, I must cover it as not to get it wet. After the third treatment the needle is removed. And I return the next month. No problems, no pain, and no infections. You will wonder why you had not done this long before. God bless. Let us hear when it is all over.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2006 at 10:23 am

Boy, this thing hurts like the dickens ๐Ÿ˜ฎ . It’s mostly an sharp ache but my right arm/chest feel like the surgeon had to kick it in.I don’t even have novacane for cavities at the dentist. Know it will be so much better getting the IVIG and the nurses come Monday will scream, dance and faint at me finally getting it after 15 months. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜€
      Everyone at the hospital was so nice and considerate.Several doctors came in very interested in me having CIDP.Asked lots of questions.
      If I can live through full blown CIDP nerve pain for years this is piece of cake.
      No, kitty, you can’t sit on my chest-yet.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2006 at 10:25 am

Boy, this thing hurts like the dickens ๐Ÿ˜ฎ . It’s mostly an sharp ache but my right arm/chest feel like the surgeon had to kick it in.I don’t even have novacane for cavities at the dentist. Know it will be so much better getting the IVIG and the nurses come Monday will scream, dance and faint at me finally getting it after 15 months. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ then ๐Ÿ˜€
      Everyone at the hospital was so nice and considerate.Several doctors came in very interested in me having CIDP.Asked lots of questions.
      If I can live through full blown CIDP nerve pain for years this is piece of cake.
      No, kitty, you can’t sit on my chest-yet.

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 10:05 am

LimeKat…

Give it a few days. The nurse told me that it hurts for about 3-5 days because you have something foreign in your body & your body has to get used to it. She recommended giving Emi Motrin for the discomfort as needed.

I’m sure that the nurse is going to be THRILLED!

Hope you are feeling better.

Kelly