Chest pain?

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I have been experiencing some chest pain and I wonder if it is related to my CIDP. I have had it before and cannot remember if it only happens when I have a relapse or not. The feeling is kind of a tightening/almost burning/kind of painful sensation. It is really hard to describe. I notice it when I am sitting but it does not change or come on when I exercise so I don’t think it is heart related.

Does anyone experience anything like this?

Thanks!

• September 23, 2008 at 7:28 pm

When Kevin was in relapses before we established a schedule he did complain of chest pressure or tightness. It has been discussed before, I cannot remember what the consensus was. Try looking under the search engine. Sorry I could not be of more help.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Others have reported chest pressure or tightness in the chest. I had this when I was getting worse last December and January. My doctor seemed to think it might have been stress/anxiety related because of worrying about the changes in my life and job situation. It might have been, but I am a pretty mellow person most of the time so it also might just have been the impact of this illness on my body. You should be reassured a lot that it does not occur with nor get worse with activities. This should happen if it were heart related. A couple of things to think about. First, acid reflux can cause chest pain although typically this is with lying down more than with sitting up. Because of effects on autonomic nerves, it is possible that you could have GI symptoms. You might consider taking an over-the-counter medicine like zantac (ranitidine) or pepcid. The second thing to think about is if you are worrying or trying to do too much and can you take a day off or do less for a day or two to see if that helps.
      I hope you feel better soon and that this pressure dissolves to warmth and dissipates in peace.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 11:59 pm

I have experienced chest pain ever since I came down with CIDP 6 1/2 years ago. At my worst, while I was inpatient at Mayo for 3 months, they would do an EKG each time, just to make sure it was not heart related. I think at that time it might have had something to do with the “band” of nerves under the breasts that many with CIDP & GBS have talked about. It is actually a band of peripheral nerves located around the chest that tightens when the rest of the peripheral nerves are being attacked. It feels like a rope is being pulled around the body.
      I rarely get the chest pain anymore, unless I am overly tired; but then it is more than just my chest that is painful, it usually will include my shoulders, upper arms, etc. Having said all of that (that it is probably related to CIDP & not your heart), do get at least one EKG just to make sure…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 12:34 am

i have also expienced chest pains and thought it was my heart, even had a EKG done and blood work to look at heart enzymes, I guess the dr. can tell by the enzymes if you have had a silent heat attack. test can back fine, dr. said probably just anxiety. did not go away, finally my dr. had me go get and endoscopy and turned out to be GERD/with hiatal hernia..put me on acifex(acid reducer) for 3 months now I just take otc zantac 150 which has worked great. Tums and rolaids did not work because all they do is acid neutrilizer where zantac reduces the amount of acid your stomach produces.
      good luck
      lynette

CHest Pain

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2006 at 7:04 pm

Hi my cousin Paul from PA has CIDP and is experiencing chest pain. He asks for prayers. He joined the forum but apparently must have had not posted on the forums. He said he tried talking and couldn’t get a word in so I think he was in the chatrooms. Just keep him in your prayers.

Thanks
      Caroline

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Hi, Caroline.

I’m not sure what happened here, but DocDavid and I both responded that Paul needs to have the chest pains checked out. Numbness, tingling and the feeling of having something strapped across your chest are not unheard of in CIDP. However, these things. and more particularly pain, are not normal CIDP symptoms.

I know of two GBs/CIDPers here in the UK this past year who assumed that unusual symptoms were a part of the disorder. They both died because of it. Tell Paul he needs to see his doctor. Now. Better safe than sorry.

I’ll definitely keep him in my prayers.

Deb

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 2:11 pm

I started with leg and lower body to the point of not being able to walk, had IVIG and gabepentin and morphin to manage. Now my upper body including my chest is hurting but my legs have pain but no weakness. I have a appointment next week and am hoping for more IVIG for upper body.. Also got a heating blanket for sleep , Man does it work at night , But the chest pain is bothersome as it was not told to be a sympton but its the same pain in my arms and hands..:(

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Hi,

My cousin emailed me to tell me he did have several tests to check the chest pain out and it came back OK. He think it is stress related to his bulging disk and is going to try some breathing exercises that his sister recommended. Thanks for listening. Apparently he says he has trouble posting. I’m not sure what is name he is using to post. THanks everyone.

Caroline

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2007 at 11:54 pm

I used to have a lot of chest pain when I first got CIDP & I know it was from the illness, not any heart problems. I know, because the first 3 times it happened, I was inpatient at Mayo & they did EKGs. Besides, I was only 48 at the time & a woman. But I remember having to take vicidin when I got that kind of pain, I rarely get it anymore (I am 4 1/2 years out now.)
      Pam

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2007 at 12:26 am

I too, still have very uncomfortable chest pain at times. Yup, been thru all the “stuff” etc. and nothing to be found with the tests which alopathic medicine uses. So, during “those times” I frequently remind myself that those nerves are “talkin’ funny” and it will feel better soon. Sometimes it’s like 24 hrs. or so but it does get better. I find that covering my chest with warmth, like a heating pad, helps me to relax and work thru it.

BUT [U]never just assume [/U]that chest pain is from GBS/CIDP if you haven’t been thru the cardic tests.