Chemicals and CIDP

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2006 at 7:53 pm

Do years of exposure to various chemicals trigger CIDP? Years of school and lab work, concentrated chemistry and microbiology. Both of those activities use a lot of chemicals that become airborn. ๐Ÿ™ And years working in hospital laboratories–before osha came in and nixed our methods.

What about arsenic laced civil water systems? I lived 25 years in a town where the water arsenic was 2x that allowed by government standards ๐Ÿ™

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2006 at 10:08 pm

Hi Patricia,

I think all of us wonder why on earth we ended up with this terrible illness. I blamed it on huge amounts of stress and bad genetics. Some theories say flu shots cause it, others say infections or virus. I’ve never heard chemicals caused CIDP?GBS. I’ve had this illness for four years and have never been exposed to chemicals.

I hope you feel better everyday. Keep hooking up with new friends on this site. It’s really nice to truly be able to talk to people who understand what you are going through.

Keep in touch.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 11:02 am

Hi Patricia, I understand that some chemicals can cause neuropathy in general, so can diabetes or alcohol. But I don’t think they can trigger specifically an autoimmune disease like CIDP.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 12:06 pm

[QUOTE=Patricia ANN]Do years of exposure to various chemicals trigger CIDP? Years of school and lab work, concentrated chemistry and microbiology. Both of those activities use a lot of chemicals that become airborn. ๐Ÿ™ And years working in hospital laboratories–before osha came in and nixed our methods.

What about arsenic laced civil water systems? I lived 25 years in a town where the water arsenic was 2x that allowed by government standards :([/QUOTE]

Hi Patricia Ann,

Arsenic poisoning mimics GBS symptoms and I wouldn’t doubt that CIDP was brought on by years of chemicals that you worked with.

Thank God for OSHA, I was second in charge of OSHA in the Drs office I worked in. We needed those changes very badly.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Brandy,
      I appreciate OSHA much more now. We all hated it when they were coming to search for little blobs of Mercury and check our control upkeep.

I’m on the other side now. My chemistry classes included lots of carbon tet. and boiling 3 flasks (each) of concentrated H2SO4 and there was no hood that worked. No presence of the prof. After all, we were upper division students.

My lab trainer poured a bottle of pure mercury all over me–head, hair, clothing. (That was before OSHA) We did blood sugars with a reagent that was known for causing cancer. Sucking up chloroform with unprotected pipets. No squeeze bulbs for suction. And on and on.

Finally I had to quit because I became very sick one day and was taken to the ER. The clinic doctor said there was no problem. Everything OK. (Hmmm–) My own doctor told me never to go near any hospital lab again. For several years I avoided roomfulls of women with perfume. Gasoline Fumes. Polyester, ethanol, etc etc etc.

Our bosses knew of the risk from chemicals. We put up with because we were all invinceable.
      Med techs you see. This was before we had machines and closed in reagents. So goes pride.

I shudder to think of all the poisons I inhaled. My micro lab partner had a rack stacked with Clostridia, Plague, Cholera, ect. She passed me carring the rack, dropped it all over my clothes. I was still “invinceable.” We had to have vaccinations to take that class: Typhoid, Shigella, a bunch of that sort. We WERE warned that that was just a postering to make the class look safe. It was not close to covering our risk.

I have been aware of my symptoms since 1985. Dx in 1987. That was the last I heard of anything about it. A report to my local Neuro. my primary Doc. No explanation no treatment, no clue. I’ve never had any treatment. I’m just now finding out what that is.

O Well. I don’t think medicare will pay. I know my medigap won’t.
      Take care, Patricia

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 7:09 pm

Hi Patricia,

Have you considered that the vaccinations caused your illness. Alot of people can attest to that fact that vaccinations caused their GBS/CIDP, my husband being one of them. I have never had to work in your situation, but after receiving my Hep , Flu and Pneumonia vaccines, I wound up in the hospital with triple pneumonia. I also had a very bad reaction as a child to the Polio vaccine, it paralyzed me from the waist up for 3 days.Never again will I take a vaccine.

Take care of yourself and it’s a pleasure to meet you. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 9:07 pm

Brandy
      I wonder why so many doctors are always giving vaccine. When I was working at the hospital, and it was just after the Hep. B was introduced, the hospital wanted all of us to buy a $100 vial and get the shot. Our pathologist .
      had a meeting and told us what the hospital wanted us to doe.
      We asked him repeatedly what he thought about it. He only restated that the hospital wanted us to do it. After 10 or 15 minutes of this the smartest one of us asked him if he was going to get on

He slammed his fist into the table and said, (no, shouted) ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! No one in my family!!!We don’t know what other deadly things are in that serum.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 9:12 pm

Brandy
      I wonder why so many doctors are always giving vaccine. When I was working at the hospital, and it was just after the Hep. B vaccine was introduced, the hospital wanted all of us to buy a $100 vial and get the shot. Our pathologist had a meeting and told us what the hospital wanted us to do. We asked him repeatedly what he thought about it. He only restated that the hospital wanted us to do it. After 10 or 15 minutes of this the smartest one of us asked him if he was going to get one.

He slammed his fist into the table and said, (no, shouted) ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! No one in my family!!!We don’t know what other deadly things are in that serum. Several months later the AIDS disease was announced. The serum was made from people with Hep. B. How else could the even make it.

I still wonder what horrid things are lurking in the pooled blood that is made into products. I am afraid of gamma gobulin now, and refuse any blood based infusion. I know from my many years of hospital lab work that you cannot prove anything is NOT there, only that none was seen. I appreciate your comments.

Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2006 at 7:51 pm

After years of telling my Doctor about my hands and feet with nothing being done, I went to a neuroligist and was told that I have neuropathy (CIDP). My questions about I got it started, I worked in the chemical industry for over 30 years with the last twelve working with hydrogen cyanide and many other bad chemicals. We use to say that cyanide was unlike many other chemicals that cause cancer in 30 or 40 years. If cyanide did not kill you it wouldn’t hurt you. Now I wonder? I also was in Vietnam during the time that they were using agent orange on microwave communication sites.

I had one round of IVIG in March, with little to no improvement. My employer has taken me off my regular job because of my falls, sometimes I work several hundred feet off the ground. Falling at grade is one thing but falling from the higher elevations could be deadly. I don’t know how much longer they will let me work. They want my doctor to write them a fitness for duty letter before they will let me go back to my normal job. I think they want the doctor to say I should be on disability. I was going to work for two more years and take early retirement.

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 9:23 am

Jayjay

Yourn seems worse than mine. I can’t imagine falling from high equipment.

My illness began when I became numb from, first, a vaccination. Then I bacame allergic (more numbness) to the air in the lab where I worked. People were not following the rules about using aromatic chemicals in the open spaces instead of a hood that fanned fumes out. I didn’t go to meetings, places where people used scents (perfume. etc.), any sort of place that had fumes. i HAD TO QUIT MY JOB to get to be in a place with uncontaminated air.

I finally was sent to Scripps San Diego and got my diagnosis of CIDP. Finally my primary was impressed enough to actually believe I had a serious problem. But nothing was done to help me. That chemical allergy seemed to become less and less. We all forgot about it and then I started getting more and worse symptoms: all over pain, migraine, IBS, Gerd, CPS, and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and myofaciel pain–got many muscle trigger points but they helped little.

Finally 20 years later, I searched out my letter from Scripps. took it to my doctor and he considered it seriously. That’s all though. I am going to forego vaccinations.

I hope you find the answer for your problems. Falling can be a bad problem. I know about that, having broken at least 10 bones from falls.

Take care
      Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 10:32 am

Patricia,

Half of the doctors I have worked for always refused to take any vaccines for the reasons of not knowing the outcome of what would happen to them from the chemicals. Then the other half I have worked for swear by vaccines.
      The last Dr I worked for was an OB/GYN and he refused to have his children vaccinated, he said he didn’t want to take a chance with their lives. That tells me alot on the subject of vaccines.

So in our family it’s “No Vaccines”

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 2:28 pm

yeah. always ask the doctor what HE’S doing for his family and for himself. I learned that the hard way.

Take care
      Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 11:28 pm

Julie ~ I have to ask; have you always used organic cleaning supplies in your home, never used hair coloring, or nail polish?? What about pesticides on your lawn or driven in traffic? Do you know of everything that is in every glass of water which you drink?? Are all of the foods which you eat organic? And yes, what about those vaccinations . . . Sorry, but you have been exposed to many more chemicals than you would ever care to know about!!

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 7:50 pm

We have just used the normal ones that people think they need. This morning the ants came marching, under a rug in the back entrance, accross my kitchen floor, up into my cupboard, onto the shelves, into my favorite cereal. (I might have eaten some–hope not.) Yes. ๐Ÿ™ I got out the raid and sprayed, then I wiped it all up with a paper towel. I wonder how much I got on me. I don’t smell the stuff any more. I might have attended Church smelling like a chemical plant. No one said anything; of course no one would. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2006 at 10:21 pm

I got mine after a bout with Mono and a flue shot at the same time.

But I used to work in a machine shop with chemicals that are now illegal.

One lady that did the same job as me died young of kindey cancer.

I really believe those chemicals set me up for the susaptability to the

autoimmune problems I have today.

Amatrine

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 3:10 pm

on this topic of chemicals and neurological disorders, i have often wondered if i could have been passed some type of mutated gene causing cidp.
      my father was in vietnam and exposed to agent orange, he has since become diabetic and has neuropathy from diabetes. our government has acceptted responsibility for this as well as vietnam veterans offspring with spina bifida. spina bifida is also a neurological disorder, so it seems as if it could be in the same ball park.
      just a thought………….