checking in

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Hi All: It has been well over a year since I posted. Today I looked at the forum and was sorry to read about all the conflict. I had GBS in 2005 and began posting at that time-what a relief it was to find this board! I didn’t have many questions then but needed support and place to be heard, and I found all of that here. I am hopeful we can all move through the conflicts and get back to being a support group for everyone who comes here. I left the board partly due to the conflict that occurred back then which became very personal very fast. But, due the impact of GBS on my immune system, I developed another nasty autoimmune disease which put me in the hospital four times in four months. It is now under control with medication, but my energy went away from GBS to dealing with the new disease and that was another reason I stopped posting.
      GBS paralyzed me totally below the waste and left me with extensive nerve damage in my legs so I have been using a wheel chair most times when I have to leave the house for any period of time. Recently, I began medicare and decided it might be worth while to do some more physical therapy. Though the pt didn’t truly get residuals he did help me a lot. After 6 years I am now able to take 20 minute walks every other day, and that is like a major gift. It is such a joy to be able to walk again even if just for twenty minutes. For some reason the pain in my legs is much better, though I still have neuropathy every day which sucks.
      So I am just checking in and saying hi to old timers who might remember me and to all the new people as well. I was thrilled to make progress after 6 years and it gave me hope with my other disease as well. My best to all of you. Jeff

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2011 at 12:11 am

Welcome back Jeff, I haven’t posted with you since diag+2months for me.

We’ll I did go back to work and though I walked very slowing around the office I survived. The next month after going back I was advised to go back to the gym and practise Tai Chi. That was challenging given all the balance required. Now 17 months post diag. I’m doing all I did before, I still have tingling in the feet which surges and recedes based on rest.

It’s nice to her of your progress, walking 20 minutes.

Talk to you later,

Mark, still in New York.

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hi Jeff – Yes, I think I remember you! I ignore the conflicts and pray we stay together to support one another. That’s amazing you can walk that long 🙂 I just got some great new walking shoes so I may give it a try at a local mall. Stay warm!

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2012 at 10:20 pm

welcome back.although I don’t know you. you said it well, about the conflicts.
      take care everyone.