Celebrex

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I have been having some very severe joint pain and I went to my family doc and she prescribed Celebrex. It did not seem to have any effect. My mom said that it is bad for your liver. Is this one of those meds that takes time to work or it is a one time thing? If it is not working, then I am not going to take it, but I need to know if I should give it some time. Thanks.

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I thought celebrex was under investigation or discontinued or something like thtat b/c the manufacturer didnt disclose the harmful effects. I dont remember if it was a cardiac or a liver issue. But I remember clearly that there was a problem.

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Celebrex was one of two Cox 2 inhibitors that looked promising due to having less gastro-intestional side effects than many of the NSAIDS. But they found increased risk of heart attack in a significant number of people using the Cox 2 inhibitors. They seemed to revise that finding and doctors started prescribing it again. Hubby and I used to take it, but stopped with the big scare. I’m not sure what the recent findings are about Celebrex. I highly recommend Voltaren Imugel which you rub on–not having to go through the GI system. Works very well.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2011 at 10:12 am

Thank you for your responses. I asked the dr if there was an issue with this one and she said that it was Vioxx not Celebrex. I took it for 2 days and it did nothing so I probably will discontinue.

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Nope, it didn’t help me that I could tell. I took it for more than a few days. It was more like a few months. I did discontinue it and would not start it again.

Pubmed, a government website has this warning:

“[I]People who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (other than aspirin) such as celecoxib may have a higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke than people who do not take these medications. These events may happen without warning and may cause death. This risk may be higher for people who take NSAIDs for a long time[/I]”

At: [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001050/[/url]

p.s. Celebrex is the brand name for celecoxib.

Well, these warnings may apply to all nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Yuehan!