CDC Website:GBS survivors should NOT have flu vaccine!!!

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2009 at 1:01 pm

You have to search[U] very [/U]hard to find it on the CDC website, first going to the link for “Healthcare Providers”, then buried deep within an article (nearly at the end of it) for[U] healthcare providers [/U]entitled: “2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine and Pregnant Women:Information for Healthcare Providers” is the sentence:

[COLOR=”Red”]”Persons who have previously had GBS should not receive influenza vaccine.” [/COLOR]

This is the end sentence to a section entitled: “Is the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine expected to be associated with Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)?”

Here is the link to the article: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/providers_qa.htm

[U]Very[/U] surprised that the foundation is not up on this info, although it is difficult to find on the CDC website. Checking under info for healthcare providers and then finding the info that GBS survivors should NOT receive influenza vaccine (doesn’t even make the distinction between H1N1 vaccine and “regular” influenza vaccine) [U]buried[/U] in an article regarding pregnant women and the vaccine……not exactly the route most of us would take to find this very pertinent information…….

The title on the website itself says: CDC:Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:”Your online source for Credible Health Information”.

best wishes for good health to all,

cg

• November 8, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for spotting this. I found the article, and will be talking to my doctor this week.

I’m shocked we have not heard more of this.

Greg

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2009 at 1:23 am

Thanks for the info.

I have been wondering if I should be having the shot or not.

I have not had GBS but rather CIDP…after reading this information I have decided NOT to take the shot!!

Rhonda from Canada

• November 10, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I called the CDC today and they suggested not to get the vaccine. I called my doctor and he said I should follow the CDC guidelines.

Greg

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2009 at 8:07 pm

This is from the MMWR report which is the official recommendation of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) regarding seasonal influenza. The report is 52 pages long and earlier in it, it says that the risk of getting GBS from the flu is about 4-7 times greater than getting it from the flu vaccine. It is also worth noting that almost everywhere on the CDC, it states that if you got GBS within 6 weeks of a flu vaccine, you should discuss with your doctor whether to get the flu vaccine again.

“Use of TIV Among Patients with a History of GBS

The incidence of GBS among the general population is low, but persons with a history of GBS have a substantially greater likelihood of subsequently experiencing GBS than persons without such a history (ref. 232). Thus, the likelihood of coincidentally experiencing GBS after influenza vaccination is expected to be greater among persons with a history of GBS than among persons with no history of this syndrome. Whether influenza vaccination specifically might increase the risk for recurrence of GBS is unknown. Among 311 patients with GBS who responded to a survey, 11 (4%) reported some worsening of symptoms after influenza vaccination; however, some of these patients had received other vaccines at the same time, and recurring symptoms were generally mild (ref 247). However, as a precaution, persons who are not at high risk for severe influenza complications and who are known to have experienced GBS within 6 weeks generally should not be vaccinated. As an alternative, physicians might consider using influenza antiviral chemoprophylaxis for these persons. Although data are limited, the established benefits of influenza vaccination might outweigh the risks for many persons who have a history of GBS and who also are at high risk for severe complications from influenza.

MMWR (July 24, 2009) vol 58: 1-52. Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccination: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)”

TIV is the inactivated (dead) influenza shot. Chemoprophylaxis means to use antiviral drugs to reduce the chance of getting influenza or to lessen the severity of the illness. In English, the main point is that if one if not at a high risk of complications from the flu (such as pregnant people, people with serious heart or lung diseases, etc) AND if you got GBS within 6 weeks of getting a flu vaccine, it is generally recommended by this committee that you not get the flu vaccine. People with a higher risk of getting very ill after the flu (such a serious chronic lung disease, etc) probably should get the vaccine to help keep them safe from the serious illnesses associated with the flu, although each person is different.

WithHope for a cure of these diseases.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2009 at 1:25 am

My son Nathan had a flu shot 4 yrs ago and was sick within 3 weeks. His neurologist says his GBS was from the flu shot.
      He was told not to ever get any flu shots or any other type of immunization.
      Even the CDC says if you have a history of GBS, not to get a flu shot ever again in your lifetime.
      For Nathan, once was enough.
      He is still trying to recover with numerous risiduals left over.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• November 11, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I talked to another doctor today, and of course, he disagreed with the first doctor who suggested I follow the CDC guidelines.

So who knows????????????

Each one of us has a tough decision to make.

Greg

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Dear WithHope,
      [QUOTE]Whether influenza vaccination specifically might increase the risk for recurrence of GBS is unknown. Among 311 patients with GBS who responded to a survey, 11 (4%) reported some worsening of symptoms after influenza vaccination; however, some of these patients had received other vaccines at the same time, and recurring symptoms were generally mild (ref 247).[/QUOTE] Joel Steinberg, MD, PhD, wrote an article in the GBSFI Newsletter, [I]The Communicator,[/I] Summer 2003 Edition.
      [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/newsletters/2003summer.htm[/url]

I responded to this article because I did not agree with the Author’s opinions and theories about 311 recovered GBS patients and the influenza vaccine immunization of the 11 GBS patients and their symptoms/diagnosis/care. Please review my post:
      [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?p=83500#post83500[/url]

You are invited to jump-in, and help answer any of those questions/remarks.

Do you know why the CDC stats show only 1 in 1 million that get a flu shot will get GBS from the flu shot? It is because the CDC uses only what is reported to VAERS (vaccine adverse event reporting system), and VAERS receives 3% or less of the actual immunization vaccine adverse events.

Please do not muddy the water with CDC reports. Their answer is alway “a new vaccine.”

Regards to all.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm

The CDC is well aware of the flu shots causing GBS or they would not allow the commercials for any immunization to put the disclaimer saying that anyone who has had GBS should not take the shot. I see that disclaimer all the time on the commercial for Gardasil.
      Also the CDC has a compensation program for people who got GBS from the flu shot.
      Nate’s neurologist told me that there is a wealth of info out there in print documenting that flu shots can cause GBS.
      He also told me that he can tell by what it did to Nate, that his was from the flu shot he had 3 wks before the onset of GBS.
      We have also had primary care doctors tell us that flu shots cannot cause GBS, but then they are not experts in the field. His neurologist is definitely.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Dear N’mom,
      [QUOTE]We have also had primary care doctors tell us that flu shots cannot cause GBS, but then they are not experts in the field.[/QUOTE] Like I said, asking the family physician about GBS and flu shots would be about like asking a pig when Sunday comes. They can’t even pronounce Guillain-Barre, let alone know about GBS facts.

Warmest regards.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2009 at 10:57 pm

It would be so much easier if there were a reliable source on all this information. I’ve had GBS but not associated with a flu shot, although I have had a flu shot in years past.
      I’m perplexed by it all. For myself, I was not considering having a flu shot and my doctor had advised me not to at this point. With these concerns I was not planning to give it to my kids either. However, with all the H1N1 press out there, what I have read states that the risk from complications of H1N1 is hugely higher than the risk of developing vaccine related issues. Probably true but not sure.
      Both my sons have asthma, my youngest is 3 and has only just been stable on naturopathic remedies and inhalors for about 2 months. This is a personal victory for us. However, I do stress about whether not giving him the vaccine is putting him at a greater risk than giving it to him. He has had pneumonia twice already and his immune system is not strong. I have never been too concerned about vaccines until I had GBS, so have given them all the recommended childhood vaccinations up until a year ago, when I learned of the possible connection between GBS and flu vaccines – no one ever mentioned it to me, just came across as I was reading up on GBS.
      As a result, I am still undecided. I’m not sure which information to trust and I’m concerned mainly for my son’s health and what is actually the greatest risk.
      I wish you all the best in making the right decision for yourselves and your families.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2009 at 11:00 pm

[QUOTE=Jethro]Dear N’mom,
      Like I said, asking the family physician about GBS and flu shots would be about like asking a pig when Sunday comes. They can’t even pronounce Guillain-Barre, let alone know about GBS facts.

Warmest regards.

Jethro[/QUOTE]

lol – THAT was funny!

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2009 at 6:19 pm

LOL, I know what you mean. My primary doc is very smart, caring and thourough but he cannot for the life of him pronounce GBS.
      He calls is gwill yom baray. The last half is ok but the first word cracked me up the first time he said it.
      Most people will look at that word and get Gill ian or Gilli gan out of it. I’ve heard that one many times.
      Trudy, Natesmom
      Nate, flu shot 11-05
      Sick 12-05
      Diagnosed GBS 1-06
      Plasmapheresis 1-06

• November 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm

My daughter is 14 and has asthma. She got the shot 5 days ago. Myself, I have severe lung issues. I have not had a flu shot in 14 years. I finally decided to get the shot when it becomes available. I’m in the high risk group and it is still not available here in San Diego for adults over 24(even in the high risk group).

I will keep the forum updated after I get the shot.

Greg

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2009 at 12:30 am

H1n1 is available for high risk patients over 24 in San Diego. Our doc has them in limited supply. We were just in his office yesterday. He’s in Santee.

Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2009 at 5:43 am

I have several comments to make, respectfully, about this topic, as I have read a good deal about it over the two and a half years since I started this particular path in my life.

First, I think the CDC has and presents the best evidence that it available about immunization risks and benefits and I admire that this is scientific evidence (to the best that it published in the medical literature) and that it is thoughtful for a great variety of different groups at risk of complications. The balancing of risks and benefits is, by no means, a black and white, absolutely one-way or the other, situation, and I also admire that this is taken into consideration in the recommendations of the CDC. Also the balance and the data is an evolving field–as the scientific and medical fields learn more about immunizations and about the immune system. In all the literature that I saw in the CDC before the recent publication, they recommended that people with GBS get flu shots unless they got GBS within 4-6 weeks of receiving an influenze vaccination. The reasons were clearly stated–that getting influenza can cause serious illness in anyone with chronic health conditions–including weakness. Influenza is a serious illness in a lot of people, not just the annoyance that most healthy people have. As Canuckgirl says, she had to search on the CDC for this most recent change and I had to search a lot for the reason behind it.

Second, regarding the 311 former GBS patients that got the flu immunization and symptoms, the most important word in this is symptoms. Having increase in symptoms is not the same as having GBS again. Most of us get an increase in symptoms if he/she try to do too much in a day or a week, but that does not mean that he/she has had GBS again–it just means that he/she has not completely healed. The point that only one of the 311 needed hospitaliztion takes that into account–that a slight worsening is part of this disease that has ups and downs, as does CIDP. Some people have on-off GBS, but a lot of us have a recovery with steps of improvement and steps that go in the opposite direction mixed into this. I think it is an accomplishment for there to be more acknowledgement that recovery is complex, as there used to be a lot of literature that said that people got better and almost all fully recovered. Now there is understanding that this takes time and that there are residuals in a lot.

Third, regarding VAERS, it is the best recorded information that we have. I want global decisions made on evidence that is recorded and is trackable, that is scientific–expecially in rare conditions like GBS. Otherwise, we are basing decisions on word of mouth, reports, etc. That does not mean that the experience of people with GBS is not important, it absolutely is and is a call to do more good research in our rare group, it means that looking at what is published and reported is using the best scientific or medical data that we have in a complex situation. It is based on facts that can be checked and not word of mouth or fear.

fourth, regarding pronounciation of Guillain-Barre, in reality there is no “L” sound in Guillain. Because in English, double “ll” does get pronounced as an “L”, it is acceptible to say it both the original and the English way in peoples that speak English. You can listen to it both ways on line at the Marriam-Webster medical website (google this if you care). Phonetically it is ge yan or ge lan with a line over the e since it is a long “e” sound.

Fifth, in reading about influenza and the struggles that humanity has had to make safe vaccine, the swine flu vaccine of 1976ish stands out. The vaccine was made differently than flu vaccines are made today and the big point with this HINI flu vaccine is that it is made like the regular seasonal flu vaccines. No one knows why the previous swine flu vaccine causes an increase (although probably small–still very important as GBS is a very, very serious illness) in GBS, but the best hypothesis is that it had to do with the method of production and that people are not at higher risk of GBS from this flu that has parts of flus that affect humans, pigs, and birds. Equally important in all this is that the flus each year are very different and the vaccines are very different. There are innumerable combinations of the parts of flu and these parts keep mixing so that a person cannot make one immune reaction and not ever get influenza again, but has to make a new (not completely new, but majorly new) immune reaction each time you get a new strain of influenza. This is probably the strongest argument that it may be okay to get another flu shot another year, because what is “presented” to your body is very different than what one got whenever it was that you got a flu shot before. This is why you have to have a flu shot each year–influenza has millions of variations–it is not caused by one thing. Some people definitely relapse after another flu shot, because their immune system must recognize something in common, but most people even having gotten GBS after a flu shot will not get GBS again. This being said, if I had gotten GBS after a flu shot, I probably would not get a flu shot again because in my life, GBS is up close and personally BAD. This is why most of us understand the personal choice to avoid anything that has any non-trivial risk of recurrence.

Last, as a person who works in the scientific and medical fields, it is hard to have people on this site saying so frequently how stupid and unknowledgable doctors are all the time. I understand that people need to vent, but the sweeping generalizations are stressful and hurtful to those that do the best they can to be thoughtful with all the complexity and differences/individuality that is in people and in disease. I admire the dedication and commitment to help in the people I work with. I also am saddened that most nurses and physicians do not stay on this site long, probably bcause it is hard to listen to sweeping generalizations about people that you work with or are. It is never good to group all people in whatever class together–we are all different in many ways–there is not one experience of GBS. Please be respectful.
      WithHope

• November 15, 2009 at 9:52 am

WithHope,

Do you get yearly flushots? If yes, side effects?

I keep going back and forth with my decision.

Greg

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2009 at 2:26 am

Dear WithHope (Deannie),

First, I know the CDC manipulates numbers, and a good example of this was their interview on CBS 60 Minutes, Sunday Nov 1, 2009. The CDC stated there were only 400 cases of GBS during the 1976 Swine Flu vaccinations. Now, you can believe them or a Nov 4, 1979 CBS 60 Minutes report (below) that states over 300 people died from GBS, and at that time there were over 4,000 neurological court claims, 2/3rds (2600) from GBS…and these are just the claims in court! The CDC constantly withholds FOI news. The CDC has report, after report, after report that thimersoal (a mercury deriverative) is safe to use as an addative in child immunizations, while autism is now 1 in every 93 families. I could go on and on…

Nov 4, 1979 CBS 60 Minutes Report:
      [url]http://www.examiner.com/x-6495-US-Intelligence-Examiner~y2009m7d10-CBS-60-Minutes-300-death-claims-from-1976-swine-flu-vaccine-only-one-death-from-flu[/url]

Second, the Swine Flu vaccination program in 1976-77 resulted in thousands of cases of Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS). DPT vaccines (particularly the whole cell pertussis vaccines) have been associated with seizure disorders and encephalopathy. Rotavirus vaccines have resulted in intessuseptions. Numerous vaccines have been credited with causing a variety of autoimmune disorders, such as GBS, encephalitis, transverse myelitis, arthritis syndromes, lupus-like reactions, arthropathies, etc. Child immunizations containing thimersoal (a mercury deriverative) have been associated with autism.

The Swine Flu Program would never have gone forward without Congressional intervention to solve the problem of liability. The insurance industry decided that they would not insure the manufacturers of the vaccine for their potential liability, and the manufacturers decided they would not produce the vaccine without adequate protection from liability. The result was a tort claims bill (PL 94-380) whereby the federal government stepped into the shoes of the manufacturers and assumed their liability.

From October 1, 1976 until the program was stopped on December 16, 1976, over forty million people were vaccinated. It was expected that there would be temporally associated deaths and injuries occurring shortly after immunization in some percentage of these people, just on the basis of normal background rates for such events in the general population. A passive surveillance system had been set up to monitor potential adverse events, and research had suggested that there might be cases of encephalitis, transverse myelitis and GBS following the vaccines, based on anecdotal reports and biological plausibility.

Soon reports were coming in from Minnesota, then Alabama and New Jersey, and then other states. Before long it became apparent that the rates of GBS being reported among the vaccinated population was exceeding the expected background rate for the syndrome. With no swine flu virus materializing, and with increasing evidence that GBS was being caused by the vaccine, the decision was made to stop the vaccinations, and an active surveillance program was set up by the CDC.

While the Swine Flu Program did not start out as a no-fault program, it became a partial one when the new Secretary of HEW under President Carter, Joseph Califano, announced that anyone who could show that they developed GBS after SFV would not have to prove any theory of liability. He said this was being done because the government could not have predicted what happened and did not specifically warn about it. He was probably right in the sense that encephalitis and transverse myelitis were more predictable than GBS, but there were those who had expected to see cases of GBS related to the vaccinations as well.

The defense to SFV-GBS cases took several forms. One defense took the form of trying to show that chronic cases were not really cases of GBS at all, but rather a different entity with different causal implications. Dr. Barry Arnason’s chapter in the famous two-volume text [U]Peripheral Neuropathy[/U], edited by Peter Dyck, was rewritten in its next edition to remove much of the language that plaintiffs’ lawyers had been citing, and a separate chapter was added to deal with CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy) as opposed to AIDP (acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy or GBS). [Dr. Barry Arnason was/is on the GBSFI Medical Advisory Board and has also appeared for the Defense in several GBS Court cases].

One thing the Swine Flu Program made clear was that when the government was in charge of defending claims for compensation from vaccine injuries, resources were not a problem for the defense, and getting highly qualified experts was not a problem. Agreeing to testify for the government, which could pay promptly and which administered the system of grants for medical research, was somehow not compared with the uneasy situations and difficult dangers as those faced by doctors who were brave enough to testify for Plaintiffs. For Plaintiffs’ experts, jobs were lost and reputations effected.

Third, of 311 GBS patients who, after recovering, received an immunization, only one got sick enough to prevent walking; ten other patients developed mild symptoms such as abnormal sensations, weakness or fatigue, but they did not require hospital care. Information about exactly what type of disorder these patients developed was not available.
      [QUOTE]Most of us get an increase in symptoms if he/she try to do too much in a day or a week, but that does not mean that he/she has had GBS again–it just means that he/she has not completely healed.[/QUOTE] Please note: These were 311 GBS patients who, [B]after recovering,[/B] received [B][B]an[/B] [/B]immunization. Now, I have been researching GBS/CIDP and flu shots for over 8 years. I know you have gathered a great deal of knowledge too. I want to ask you a question: If YOU were a neurologist, and IF 10 people came into YOUR Emergency Room, TOLD you that they all had GBS in prior years (let’s say 3 years ago), and that THEY ALL had gotten a Flu Shot last week as a group of 311 recovered GBS patients, and they all had tingles (pins/needles) or other sensory sensations, and they ALL were weak and/or fatigued – What would be the first thought that came into your head? If I were a neurologist under those conditions – Relapse! I would start them ALL on IV igG 2g/kg per body weight/5 for the next 5 days, or until drastic improvements showed in each.

Fourth, GBS is pronounced the way it is because it is French, after two of the three doctors that founded the disease. French physicians Jean-Alexandre Barré, Georges Guillain and Andre Strohl discovered GBS in the early 1900s. In fact, GBS is sometimes referred to as French Polio in Europe.

Fifth, I pretty much say things the way I see them. If the CDC makes a stupid comment, then it’s a stupid comment. And most GP’s, Emergency Dr’s and some neurologist don’t have a clue about GBS. And yes, we all need a place to vent:
      [QUOTE]I did go for a second opinion across town in early February. that was interesting (and discouraging). This neurologist said that he did not think it was GBS/CIDP and also, amazingly enough, said that I walk normally and have normal strength except for rising from sitting on the floor. My walking is not normal at all–I have strangers comment on it frequently and use AFOs, a cane or walker, and a scooter.[/QUOTE] However, I have the utmost respect for all GBS/CIDP individuals on these forums and would never speak harshly or rudly directly to our family – they are my friends…part of my life, and even more importantly, we all hold and share information and knowledge that will improve the quality of life.

There has never been a stupid question asked on these forums.

Warmest regards,

Jethro

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2009 at 2:27 am

I asked my doctor if i should get the flu shot and he said it was ok and there was more chance of getting g bs from having the swine flu . I was diagnosed with gbs 15 months ago and id had the flu 3 weeks before i was diagnosed. At this stage ther is no way im getting the injection.:

• November 17, 2009 at 7:17 am

Natesmom,

I have Kaiser and they still don’t have enough vaccine for my group.

Greg

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2009 at 1:33 pm

can be soooo dumb to have soooo much education ! Dr. said last week to me “If you are allergic to the flu shot you should not get it”. I did not know I was allergic to the flu shot, but just the bad vaccines. The same Dr has tried for 10 years to give me a flu shot, and all of a sudden…lol he told me I probably should not get it. I took it for years with no side effects, but then the bad dose came up on my number. Yeah, most of the Drs need to be brought down to earth every now and then.
      Thanks Jethro

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm

That website sentence is in direct contradiction to the literature they give at H1N1 vaccination locations. They mention risks for those who previously had GBS but do not say you must not get the vaccine.

I had GBS in 1991 and now have CIDP. My GBS came from a sinus infection. I also have allergies and asthma. Since I already have CIDP another episode of illness is more manageable for me than a stint on a ventilator with H1N1. I got vaccinated today. I skip seasonal flu vaccines though. I also had my 2 and 4 yr olds immunized last week.

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Drummer,

I don’t think the doctors are as much “dumb”, as they are “uneducated” about GBS. I would like to use my two pc doctors as an example. I live 13 mi NE of Louisville KY in southeastern IN. I live on the outskirts of a small town, pop 5,000. I love where I live though – My house is on 1 and 1/2 acres in a rural area. I can hear roosters crow in the morning, drive and see cows in the pasture, rolls of hay in the field, corn, and soybeans growing on the farmland. I can grow a garden as large as I want, but usually just a few tomatoe plants, peppers, and green beans. I have a nice stand of tame blackberrys that usually produce about 20-30 gallon each year. At the same time, I am just 20 minutes from downtown Louisville.

Back to my doctors. I got a flu shot in mid Nov 1996 while at the office on a follow-up for back problems. I have had back problems since I was 19, surgery that failed at age 29, and the myelogram prior to surgery actually presented another problem that would last the rest of my life. Long story short, the contrast dye used was “Pantopaque”. This contrast dye was outlawed in Sweden in 1948 because of the inflammation it caused in the meninges, the three fibrous membranes that surround the spinal column. The myelogram is given between the Dura and Arachnoids (called the sub-arachnoid space). Over the years in some people, this causes inflammation, scar tissue, and the scar tissue wraps around the linings of the spine and the nerve roots and causes the nerve roots to stick together – this condition is called Chronic Adhesive Arachnoiditis…which I have in addition to post Transverse Myelitis residuals, GBS residuals and ongoing CIDP that I get regular IV IgG infusion treatments.

Back to the flu shot. I got it in mid Nov 1996, and two weeks lated had flu-like symptoms. I spent about a week in bed then started feeling weak. By now it was near Christmas and our oldest son, Jim, his wife, Andrea, and our only grandson, Alex, were coming home for Christmas, and Roger, our youngest son, lived in town, just 3 miles away. It would be the first time we were all together in about 5 years. My wife, Rosemary, was really excited and looking forward to it. Meanwhile, I was getting weaker by the day and also started to have severe pain in my upper back, left shoulder, and neck. I finally went to the doctor on Dec 23rd. He thought it was bursitis, gave me a shot, and I returned home. The next day the pain was worse and had spread to the right sholder as well. So I went back to the doctor…this was Dec 24th. He gave me another shot and a perscription. He also told me to BE SURE NOT TO TAKE THIS MED WITH VICODIN that I was taking for my back. That night the pain became so bad that Rosemary drove me to the ER. The ER doctor also thought it to be bursitis and gave me another shot and sent me home. I spent most of Christmas Day in bed. The pain was not as severe, but still very bad. I did get up for about 2 hrs to watch Alex open his gifts, and talk with my oldest son, Jim, about his job and how things were going for him. I had to hand walk the walls when I came out of the bedroom to keep from falling, and had to hand walk the walls when I returned to my bedroom. In fact, I fell once, and Jim was quite concerned, but I assured him I would be all right.

Back to the doctors. My two pc doctors were at that time both in their 60’s and I am sure neither spent much time on the internet. And I do know I was the first patient that either of them had with GBS. It is my opinion that they referred to their medical books, read the 3-4 paragraphs about GBS and that was their education. Both IV IgG and Plasmapheresis were started as GBS treatments about 20 years after they finished medical school. When I collapsed in my bathroom on the late evening Christmas Day, 1996 my wife called an ambulance, then Roger, our youngest son. Roger was there in about 15 minutes, picked me up and put me on the bed.

I was taken to the hospital, both legs paralyzed and couldn’t move, and I also had been trying to pee all afternoon but couldn’t. They finally inserted a catheter and there was 2000cc of urine retrieved (just over 2 quarts). The nurse said it was a miracle that my bladder had not ruptured.

Next came two neurologist, along with my two doctors. The neurologist concluded the problem was in my cervical spine (I guess because of the pain). Two days later I couldn’t breath, and the paralysis had moved to my arms. Within 4 days I had a tube in every body cavity and a feeding tube, a tracheotomy and hooked to a respirator – the only thing that moved on my body was my eyelids.

However, the two neurologist and my two pc doctors still concluded the problem was in my cervical spine…but it was noted “possible Guillain-Barre syndrome” in my medical records. But GBS was never pursued; I did not received either of the recommended GBS treatments, “IV IgG or plasmapheresis.” I was in the hospital for 6 weeks on an airoDyne bed. I never received any physical therapy. I had a blood staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) but the exact infection was not known at the time. An infection specialist determined the infection was endocarditis, an infection that attacks the valves of the heart. I have heart problems, and at that time had angeoplasty in 1995, a repeat angeoplasty in July 1996 with a stent implant.

When the doctors discovered it was endocarditis, they called my cardologist. When he came to the hospital and seen me in my condition, he said, “This man has Guillain-Barre syndrome.” He was from India, and his cousin had GBS when he was a young man. This was now Jan 1997, probably around the 5th or 6th, about two weeks after I arrived. The cardologist went into one of the tubes inserted into my body (probably the lung) and actually looked at my heart. The valves were not infected or damaged. But now I also had pneumonia, unstable blood pressure, and a very high tempature. IV IgG could not be given to me in this condition if they wanted to. In fact, on Jan 9th, 1997 my tempature reached 107.9, blood pressure 44/0 by Doppler (would not register by cuff), Guillain-Barre syndrome (not diagnosed), Transverse Myelitis (not known at the time), pneumonia, internal bleeding (source unknown), and an EEG (brain scan) that showed no activity and I was in a coma. Early AM the doctors told Rosemary and my two sons (both adults) that there was “no hope”, and later told Rosemary to make arrangements for a post-mortum. They also told her that “had I lived” I would have been severly brain damaged because of the high tempature and low blood blood pressure for such a long time.

Rosemary did not make those arrangements. Instead she called our pastor, also in the early AM. When he arrived my family and a few friends circled my bed and prayed for a miracle. Over the next 48 hours my tempature started dropping and my blood pressure started to stableize – I was sparred by the Grace of God. I was in a coma most of the month and do not remember much of anything the month of Jan 1997 until I was transferred to a Rehab facility on Jan 30th. I was alive, but a very, very, sick man. There is one thing the oldest of my two doctors told me. He said, “I have practiced medicine for over 40 years, and you were the sickest person too still be alive I’ve ever seen.”

Now, these doctors aren’t dumb. They are, however, very uneducated about GBS and the symptoms of GBS. I do think (in my opinion) the two neurologist made a stupid decision about the diagnosis, especially when my breathing muscles were affected. You can bet that if it were their son, daughter, or wife laying there instead of me, they would have admistered IV IgG. And they would have called another doctor that had experience with GBS. If they really knew about GBS, then they would know that in severe cases the brain stem reflexes may be paralyzed, thus giving a false positive on an EEG, and would not have told my wife, Rosemary, to make arrangements for a post-mortem. And we as patients EXPECT PROFESSIONAL treatment, as such, when our doctors are uneducated. After all, that’s what we all do – we are not too proud to admit we do not know and call on others for help.

Best Regards.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Jethro, I should have said “IGNORANT”, instead of dumb. lol 🙂
      Jethro, I respect you for your strength and determination to beat all you have been put thru with these type diseases.

God bless,
      Drummer

• November 24, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Well, after going back and forth I got the H1n1 shot today. A friend of mine who is a marathon runner, and probably the healthiest I know, came down with the swine flu a couple of weeks ago. She said it hit her lungs very hard.

With my lungs issues, I know I’m in big trouble if I come down with H1n1 flu.

I will keep everyone updated as to any side effects. I’m praying no GBS again, but I’m not sure if I would survive a bout of H1n1.

Greg

• November 26, 2009 at 3:07 am

I took the flu shot, was not ill, but tierd. I was told to take it for it would have be bad if I got the swineflue it self. My body would not maby handle that.
      xoxooxoxoxo
      Helga

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2009 at 11:18 am

Hi – long time no forum visit!!!
      It has been awhile since I have read about all you have been through and after reading it again this morning, I am absolutely blown away at YOUR knowledge. YOU do a fantastic job and thank you for being a wonderful example of how WE need to learn about our illness.
      Because you share your journey with us….you give us hope and lead us down an educated path.
      Bless you for all you have done and continue to do for the GBS-CIDP Community.

MaureenBoz

• November 27, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Three days after my shot. Legs and arms feeling “heavy” and tired. Some fatigue. Wondering if I made a mistake?????? Hopefully not!!!

Greg

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2009 at 11:01 pm

[B]Greg, keep a watchful eye on yourself, if the heaviness gets really bad get to the ER. It probably will pass but try to rest alot right now if you can.[/B]

• November 30, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I had havy feeling, and I had all the symtons I was having a flue, but it dissaper in few days.. I had to lie down alot and rest, and then my arm was sore in two weeks after.
      So those who take this shot take good care of you we are not like we was before our GBS.
      xoxooxoxoxo

• December 2, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Day eight. Arms and legs still very “heavy.” I can say 100% I will never, never get another flu shot.

I did get a pneumonia shot this fall with no side effects. Flu shots, never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Greg – I am following your experiences with great interest. No, I am not even considering a flu shot. After having GBS 2 times I am totally paranoid. I will have to say that I have experienced the same heavy achy limbs you are feeling right now with any prescription and many otc drugs. I have read recommendations from Drs who are GBS survivors that the Flu shot is safe. But, no thanks. I am thinking that by now you are safe, and I am glad for you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Shared information is our most important tool.

• December 4, 2009 at 10:04 am

Day 10, Showing slight improvement. Arms are doing better, however legs are still heavy and painful.

It’s weird, I can go for a half hour with little pain but then look out!!!!!! PAIN!!!!!!! I’ll call that improvement. Have to keep that glass half full!!!!!

Hoping to go back to work monday.

Greg

• December 6, 2009 at 11:54 am

Day 12, legs finally showing improvement. Will try to go back to work tomorrow part-time. Hoping I don’t over do it and backslide.

For those of you still thinking of the H1n1 shot, my advice would be DON’T!!!! My neuro is the one who said it should be ok. I should have listened to my GP who said I should not. Lessons learned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg

• December 10, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Day 16, I’m finding out that going back to work (even part-time) was too soon.

I hate when people look at you and say ” Well, you look ok.” If they could only know how much pain there is and my legs are about to collapse any second.

My wife who was there when I first had GBS, will now ask, ” Are you having those phantom pains again?” There is nothing “phantom” about this pain. It’s hard when most people can’t relate.

Well, thanks for letting me vent. Trying very hard just to get through the week.

Greg

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Greg,
      [QUOTE][B]I hate when people look at you and say ” Well, you look ok.” If they could only know how much pain there is…[/B][/QUOTE] I haven’t had much of a social life the last 12 years, and normally when people ask me how I’m doing, I just say, “all things considering, pretty good.” I don’t get into what my diseases are because in a group of 6 people maybe 2 will half-way understand and pay attention to what I am saying. Then when I get to how weak my legs are as a result of my diseases, there will always be some idiot that will start laughing, pat me on the back, and say, “hell, I know exactly how you fell…I think they call that ‘old age’.” So, unless I have a really good friend that wants to know, I just keep saying, “all things considering, pretty good.”

The only people that understand how our legs feel like 2×4’s and our feet feel like dragging around two bricks at times are the people that have been through this catastrophic illness. Nobody else can put the realization of what we feel in their minds…it actually goes beyond their imagination to think of what “our” pains and feelings actually are.

Over the last 12 years I have learned something that I pass on occassionaly. Divine spiritual and family love, heals, restores, and uplifts life more than anything else on Earth.

You stay strong. [COLOR=”Teal”]Merry [COLOR=”Red”]Christmas. [COLOR=”Black”]and warmest regards.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Jethro

• December 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Jethro,

Well put. Very good response when people ask you how your doing. I think I’ll use that.

Merry Christmas to you.

Greg

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Hi people. I haven’t posted here in a couple years. I see some familiar faces. Glad/sad to see you.

Question: I was only (only?) diagnosed with a Peripheral Neuropathy caused from an ear infection. After 4 years, I’m still in pain 24/7, feet up to the knees, and hands. Gabapentin 900 mg. every 6 hours takes the ‘edge’ off the severe pain so it’s bareable. I have not been getting flu shots. What would be the recommendation on the H1N1 shot since I apparently have not had GBS or CIDP?

While I’m at it, the Gabapentin doesn’t seem to be working as well as it used to. Any recs on that? I’d have a real fight with my GP if I asked him to up the dose because he’s totally ignorant of any form of neuropathy and won’t learn. Is there an alternative?

I really appreciat you guys/gals. It’s been a long time.

Val

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2009 at 12:50 am

Wow! Jethro, You are truly a Blessed Man, to have survived everything you did. I’m Proud to have You as a Friend!!! Bless Rosemary for not giving up on you when the Drs tried to.
      Hi Val, looong time no see, How have you been?
      I took my daughter and son to the school last sunday to get the h1n1 vacc. My daughter has asthma, thats the only reason I went with getting the vacc for her, as it hits kids with asthma really hard. She got the IM vacc as I insisted on it due to the fact its a killed virus verses the nasal form that is live. My son could only get the nasal vacc by gov orders-soo needless to say he will not get it. I talked to many drs and health people regarding my health issues, asthma, small fiber neuropathies, gbs,cidp etc. I decided to get the IM vacc as I could not risk getting the secondary infections-like I always seem to get.
      I’m being watchful for any new symptoms. Getting some rest and trying to keep hydrated, without going overboard. soo far soo good.
      I think if one does enough research, weighs the odds, considers other family members involvment , one can make an educated decision for their own body and well being.
      Greg, I’m sorry you are going through soo much. You are in my thoughts and Prayers! Take care.

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Greg, thank you for the warnings. So sorry about your reaction. I have a new doctor who is pushing for all kinds of vaccines. It is stressful to have those conflicting concerns about shots, but bad reactions are catastrophic. I’m feeling so good, but a relative who knows what I have been through asked me yesterday about my holiday travel plans…(I look so good)…I don’t travel and haven’t traveled since GBS. How would I? My travel is a trip to the grocery store, on a good day! Glad the people here can relate…and I won’t be getting a flu shot. Hope you continue to improve! Andrea

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Jethro I sure get the legs feeling like 2×4’s and dragging the bricks (feet) around. I guess my social life suffers as well, I just get tired of explaining.

As far as the flu shot is concerned, I had a few in the years before GBS, but none since. My daughers Dr. said that because I had GBS she should not get flu shots because they mess with your immune system. It’s not that GBS is hereitary but the possibility of a faulty immune system is.

I keep my immune system up by taking Vitamin D and fish oils, especially in the winter months. Alot of info on avoiding illness on Dr. Mercola’s site.

• December 17, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Day 24, not getting better, not getting worse. Time will tell. Hoping to avoid a cold bug that is hitting everyone at work. People probably think I’m being anti-social at work, however I just want to come home and not catch anything.

I never used to worry about getting sick. Now it’s a different story. Boy, does GBS sure change your life. I try not to let it, but it’s hard.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Greg

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Hi, Greg! You are such an inspiration. I have shared your story with my family and we are all pulling for you! I know that worry and that fear. When I had my setbacks, it took me about three months to feel like I was back on track. I recently had a flu like episode, and sailed through with flying colors. However, when a doctor mentions a vaccine for me or my children, I have an emotional melt down. You made the best decision with the information you had at the time. The fact that you are not declining is great! Keep us posted! You have a family of five in Ohio sending positive vibes your way! We have all the confidence in the world that you will get back to recovery mode soon! Try to keep your spirits up and let us know how you’re doing! Andrea and family. Peace and Hope for the Holidays! 🙂

• December 23, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Day 30, Upper half doing better. Legs getting worse. So far I have able to avoid this cold bug is everyone is catching.

Again, if your thinking about getting the H1n1 shot, My advice is DON’T!!!!

It’s amazing how many batches the drug companies are recalling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2009 at 9:32 am

[B]Why I don’t trust the CDC:[/B]

The Washington Post
      November 8, 2009

[B]Editorial commentary:[/B]

You’ve likely seen the images in the news, and perhaps even personally — long lines of people, including children and pregnant women, waiting to be the latest guinea pig to receive the swine flu vaccine.

If you read only the headlines, you’re left with the impression that the biggest tragedy is not enough vaccine to go around, and may even shake your head that “high-risk” groups like children and people with asthma are being turned away.

But then through all the fanfare come a few quiet, and sometimes not so quiet, voices of reason. Voices from doctors who are NOT recommending the swine flu vaccination for their patients because it is just too new and untested.

Voices from health care workers who say they will also refuse the swine flu vaccine because of potential side effects and questions about the vaccine’s efficacy.

And voices from mothers, fathers and pregnant women alike who have opted to not get the vaccine for themselves or their children because the risks appear to greatly outweigh any benefits.

And it is this growing group of voices that is now starting to give the latest propaganda techniques used to frighten you into accepting a swine flu vaccine, a real run for their money!
      Why Are Doctors and Health Care Workers Refusing the Swine Flu Vaccine?

In May of this year researchers distributed 810 questionnaires to public hospital workers. Less than half of the nearly 400 workers who returned the questionnaires intended to accept H1N1 vaccination.

This is very telling, though not surprising considering the majority of health care workers also refuse the seasonal flu shot.

The most common reason given for refusal, and rightfully so, was potential side effects, followed by questions about the vaccine’s efficacy.

[B]Even among a focus group of 85 people, very few said they would get vaccinated in the event of a pandemic. Again, many noted the risks involved in using newly developed vaccines that are rushed to market as a primary concern. Many also believed, correctly I might add, that they could protect themselves through their own behavior, including:[/B]

•Frequent handwashing
      •Staying away from crowded places and sick people
      •Eating well to maintain their immune system

[B]Further, a revealing article written by Richard Gale, a former Senior Research Analyst in the biotechnology and genomic industries, and Dr. Gary Null, author of Vaccine Nation, stated:[/B]

“Increasing numbers of scientists and doctors are issuing harsh criticisms of the government’s plan to vaccinate virtually the entire U.S. population with a poorly tested vaccine that is not only ineffective against swine flu, but could cripple and even kill many more people than it helps.”
      Fortunately, this site, and many others seeking to shed light on this deceptive manipulation of facts about the swine flu, are having a significant influence, and people are refusing to believe the government propaganda.

[B]Vaccine safety advocates everywhere are beginning to make a serious dent. According to a recent Fox News poll, the majority of people in the U.S. now believe the swine flu vaccine may be deadlier than the actual virus.
      Weighing the Risks versus the Benefits[/B]

Any time you opt for a medical procedure, including vaccination, you must decide whether the risks outweigh the benefits. There are always risks of any procedure, and in the case of the H1N1 vaccine, the risks are potentially steep.

Senior neurologists sent a confidential letter to the UK government warning that the swine flu vaccine has been linked to a deadly nerve disease known as Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS). GBS attacks the lining of your nerves, causing paralysis and inability to breathe, and can be fatal.

German lung specialist Wolfgang Wodarg has also come out about even more potential health risks associated with the swine flu vaccine. According to Dr. Wodarg, the swine flu vaccine contains animal cancer cells, and there’s no data indicating whether or not this may cause an allergic reaction when injected.

It also raises questions about the risk of contracting cancer.

[B]Likewise, Johannes Löwer, president of the Paul Ehrlich Institute, believes the side effects of the vaccine can be far worse than the actual swine flu virus, which typically causes only mild symptoms, requiring just a few days in bed.
      Swine Flu Cases are being Greatly Exaggerated[/B]

Now that we’ve looked at the risks, so what are the benefits? When you consider how over-hyped the swine flu “pandemic” really is, not much.

It amazes me that despite all the evidence to the contrary, health officials and mass media are still saying the swine flu could kill some 90,000 Americans — if we don’t all get vaccinated.

There is simply NO evidence to support this outlandish projection. The evidence actually points to the exact opposite, that this season will have LESS deaths from flu than last year.

The data is very clear that it’s a milder than normal virus. Only a few percent of all cases with the designation “swine flu” are actually the H1N1 virus. In the Southern Hemisphere, people got over the wave of the flu just fine, before the vaccine even became available.

As of August 30, 2009, the CDC ceased testing and counting actual H1N1 virus infections. As of that date, any and all cases or deaths of people exhibiting “flu like symptoms” are automatically tallied as an “H1N1 case,” artificially driving up the perceived threat.

The CDC’s public explanation is that they are convinced a pandemic is underway and, therefore, accurate monitoring is unnecessary because it’s so widespread, world-wide.

However, as I’ll show you in just a moment, this is simply not true! Yes, the H1N1 virus has appeared world-wide, but it is not the CAUSE of most flu like illness and death. In fact, the H1N1 virus is a tiny player, causing very little trouble.

CBS News, after conducting a three-month investigation into the swine flu statistics, uncovered a number of very sobering facts that clearly show this swine flu pandemic for the cruel hoax it really is.

[B]What did they find? CBS reported:[/B]

“The results reveal a pattern that surprised a number of health care professionals we consulted. The vast majority of cases were negative for H1N1 as well as seasonal flu, despite the fact that many states were specifically testing patients deemed to be most likely to have H1N1 flu, based on symptoms and risk factors, such as travel to Mexico.”
      According to the CBS News study, when you come down with chills, fever, cough, runny nose, malaise and all those other “flu-like” symptoms, the illness is likely caused by influenza at most, 17 percent of the time, and as little as 3 percent! The other 83 to 97 percent of the time it’s caused by other viruses or bacteria.

So remember that not every illness that appears to be the flu actually is the flu. In fact, most of the time it’s not.

Curiously, the CDC still advises those who were told they had 2009 H1N1 (and therefore should be immune to getting it again) to get vaccinated unless they had lab confirmation.
      Is the Real Source of the Swine Flu Related to Filthy Factory Farms?

It is interesting to note that scientists working to understand the genetic makeup of the H1N1 virus have linked it to a virus behind a 1998 swine flu outbreak at a massive industrial pig farm in North Carolina.

[B]The Raleigh News & Observer cited Raul Rabadan, a Columbia University scientist who’s studying the new virus’s genetics, who said:[/B]

“This virus was found in pigs here in the United States. They were getting sick in 1998. It became a swine virus.

It spread among pregnant sows in Newton Grove, N.C., causing them to abort their litters. The virus then spread to pigs in Texas, Iowa and Minnesota — putting epidemiologists on alert about the new viral strain and the potential for a human outbreak.”
      When North Carolina public health officials tested workers at the pig farm back in 1998, 10 percent of workers had developed antibodies to the virus, which means they had been infected but not become ill.

If it’s true that this latest hysteria over swine flu can, in fact, be traced back to a factory farm, it raises a whole new set of issues that are being completely ignored by both government officials and the media.

[B]As the Humane Society of the United States pointed out:[/B]

“When thousands of pigs are overcrowded into cramped stalls and pens inside massive, unsanitary, warehouse-like sheds, it’s a veritable breeding ground for disease. As the former executive director of the Pew Commission on Industrial Animal Farm Production described, “Industrial farms are super-incubators for viruses.””
      And the people working at those farms can easily become a bridge for the viruses to reach the general population.

So instead of waging a giant media campaign geared toward getting the entire U.S. population a swine flu vaccination, what public health officials and government should be doing is waging a war against agribusiness giants that are perpetuating this kind of unnatural and unhealthy form of food production.

Natural methods, once again, will prove to be the answer here, and should be used to grow any food you buy as well as form the basis of your flu prevention lifestyle.

[B]About the writer:[/B]

Dr. Mercola is the founder of the world’s most visited natural health web site, Mercola.com. You can learn the hazardous side effects of OTC Remedies by getting a FREE copy of his latest special report The Dangers of Over the Counter Remedies by going to his to his Report Page. END

Jethro

• January 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Day 48!!!!!!!

Legs doing much better. I’m hoping I have turned the corner on this one.

I’m hoping everyone had a safe new year and hoping for good health for all of us in 2010.

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2010 at 10:21 am

Thanking you for your post on this info. I decided not to have the shot. I’m not interested in taking the chance of having the shot. I wondered about this. I had decided some time ago, that the shot was not for me. I believe that there is not enough info. regarding the shot for those that do not have GBS.
      take care.

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2010 at 8:30 am

Dear Friends,

Where there are cases of neurological disorders, there are always “experts” with the CDC or the WHO, that ignore and brush off the facts. This adds to the reasons the real stats are not accurate on neurological diseases caused by flu shots.

[B]February 10, 2010
      Flu shot not behind woman’s illness.[/B]

A 67-year-old woman who developed generalised weakness after receiving the human swine flu vaccination suffered from acute disseminated encephalomyelitis – a neurological disorder involving inflammation of the brain and spinal cord.

She complained about leg weakness on January 12 after receiving the jab on December 23. She came down with a fever, headache and vomiting on January 15 and was hospitalised the same day. She is now in critical condition.

Dr Patrick Li, a member of an expert group studying illness in people who have received the vaccination, said today the woman had no encephalitis symptoms when she was admitted to hospital and was initially suspected to have Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

“However, subsequent investigations did not support such diagnosis. She later came down with a fever, sepsis and renal failure. She was transferred to the intensive care unit and was later confirmed to have acute disseminated [COLOR=”Red”]encephalomyelitis[/COLOR].”

Dr Li said her illness is more likely related to serious infections and more tests will be conducted.

Noting the vacccination was unlikely to have caused the incident, expert group chairman Dr Chan Man-chung urged people to have confidence in the Government’s human swine flu vaccination programme.

Forty-two serious human swine flu cases and 12 fatalities have been recorded since the programme started on December 21. Sixty-seven people in Hong Kong have died from the disease.

[B]H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Insert Admits It Causes Guillain-Barre Syndrome, Vasculitis, Paralysis, Anaphylactic Shock And Death.[/B]

The package insert for the Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine manufactured by Novartis has been leaked on the Internet. According to that package insert, the vaccine (based on an earlier vaccine product known as Fluvirin) is known to cause a whole host of very nasty side effects such as guillain-barre syndrome, vasculitis, anaphylactic shock and even death.

Of course anyone who has been studying vaccine side effects already knows that it causes all of these things, but the story here is that the insert for the swine flu vaccine itself is admitting all of these things. The insert says that it was updated during September 2009, so it reflects the very latest information.

You can read the package insert for this vaccine for yourself right here…..

[url]http://www.fluscam.com/Vaccine_Package_Inserts_files/Novartis_A-H1N1_2009_Monvalent_VaccinePackageInsert_BasedOn1980Approvalfor%20Fluvirin_UCM182242.pdf[/url]

The following is a list of some of the very nasty side effects that the vaccine package insert admits to…..

*Local injection site reactions (including pain, pain limiting limb movement, redness, swelling, warmth, ecchymosis, induration)
      *Hot flashes/flushes
      *Chills
      *Fever
      *Malaise
      *Shivering
      *Fatigue
      *Asthenia
      *Facial edema.
      *Immune system disorders
      *Hypersensitivity reactions (including throat and/or mouth edema)
      *In rare cases, hypersensitivity reactions have lead to anaphylactic shock and death
      *Cardiovascular disorders
      *Vasculitis (in rare cases with transient renal involvement)
      *Syncope shortly after vaccination
      *Digestive disorders
      *Diarrhea
      *Nausea
      *Vomiting
      *Abdominal pain.
      *Blood and lymphatic disorders
      *Local lymphadenopathy
      *Transient thrombocytopenia.
      *Metabolic and nutritional disorders
      *Loss of appetite.
      *Arthralgia
      *Myalgia
      *Myasthenia
      *Nervous system disorders
      *Headache
      *Dizziness
      *Neuralgia
      *Paraesthesia
      *Febrile convulsions
      *Guillain-Barré Syndrome
      *Myelitis (including [COLOR=”Red”]encephalomyelitis[/COLOR] and transverse myelitis)
      *Neuropathy (including neuritis)
      *Paralysis (including Bell’s Palsy)
      *Respiratory disorders
      *Dyspnea
      *Chest pain
      *Cough
      *Pharyngitis
      *Rhinitis
      *Stevens-Johnson syndrome
      *Pruritus
      *Urticaria
      *Rash (including non-specific, maculopapular, and vesiculobulbous).

Regards to all.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2010 at 1:40 am

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to find and post all the info you pass on to so many of us, like me, who can not mentally and physically do all the research on our own. I have stayed away from all vacinations since I came down with GBS.
      May God bless you with the best healt, physically and mentally, so you can continue to help so many on this forum.

Drummer

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2010 at 3:11 am

Just wanted to post to say I had no bad reaction to the flu vaccine. I never had any reactions to any vaccines though.