CDC and IVIG

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2006 at 11:40 am

:confused: I noticed something while reading through the various threads yesterday about the CDC cautioning against or speaking out against IVIG. I couldn’t find anything on the web about it (of recent origin). Can anyone enlighten me?

I will probably start undergoing IVIG treatments this fall, and was extremely concerned when I saw this.

Thanks.

Chaya

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2006 at 11:48 am

Chaya IVIG is safe enough if your not allergic to it or some brands. It’s that it costs so much and they are probably limiting who should get it. Here is a part of a post [B]Shannon[/B] wrote on another thread.

“”At the regional meeting I attended in Cleveland, they were saying that IVIG use was being declined primarily due to cost. You might want to contact your insurance company and have them preapprove its usage. They can then fax an authorized letter to your doctor if they approve.

If you go to the main GBSFI page, on the right hand side there’s a link you can click on to let the GBSFI know about your issues with IVIG. This is from that page:

You CAN Make a Difference
      In the Foundation’s continuing effort to make your voices heard in Washington DC, in statehouses across the United States and within the international community, we need your help.

If you have been denied the IVIG treatment your physician prescribed, if your insurance company won’t reimburse a good part of your expenses for IVIG treatments or if you have had other problems obtaining the treatment you need, we want to hear your story.””

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2006 at 11:51 am

Chaya check the thread called “IVIG anything good?” it may help feel more at ease
      [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=676[/url]

Sue