Can you have GBS or CIDP without pain?

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 12:01 pm

I occationally get what I call “zings”. They are like an electrical shock running down my arms or legs but I wouldn’t call them especially painful. Still have knee-jerk reflexes, but early in AM and at night I can barely pull myself out of a chair and walk. Any thoughts?

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 1:28 pm

Yep … I get the “zings” occasionally too. Thought I was unique in that one. My wife hates them, as I generally end of kicking her at night when a zing occurs. Oops.:eek:

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 6:32 pm

Gabby,

That is pretty normal, I still get the zings also usually when I am in bed. Also the beginning and end of my day tend to be my weakest. In the morning I have to take my meds and get going before I feel somewhat ok. At the end of the day when I am tired I also get very weak.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 9:12 pm

I’ll get a zing once in awhile and it’s always when I’m in bed, my leg will jerk out. And I have CIDP and I never had PAIN, never had to be on a pain medication. I have an extreme amount of numbness though, which can still reach a grit your teeth level.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 11:11 pm

I get those zings as well… I often have associated electrical current like pain going along with it though, sometimes though there is no associated pain for me.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 3:53 am

Those of you who only get the sudden electric shock type of impulses – or zings – should rejoice! They are pleasurable by contrast with unrelenting neuropathic pain at various levels. This can be soul-destroying.
      At its worst I am better off doing what I am doing now – working at my computer – as the use of my brain is somehow distracting the pain messages to the brain!! I hear this from several people too.:eek:

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 4:10 am

I never had any pain – i had tingling and then numbness but no pain (apart from during physio lol!) I dont need any meds.

i still get occasional electrical impulses but they are painless.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 9:26 am

I had serious “bone” pain with getting feeling back, followed by the zings after I was pronounced “cured”. Never really thought about them, just lived with them! Sometimes they happened at the most inopportune times,(i.e. giving a speech and my left arm starting zinging and twitching, had to leave the stage) but I learned to make a joke about them. Just my body exhibiting a “Mind of its Own”.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 10:04 am

[QUOTE=kenspdn]Those of you who only get the sudden electric shock type of impulses – or zings – should rejoice! They are pleasurable by contrast with unrelenting neuropathic pain at various levels. This can be soul-destroying.
      At its worst I am better off doing what I am doing now – working at my computer – as the use of my brain is somehow distracting the pain messages to the brain!! I hear this from several people too.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Agreed… my sisters boyfriend is one of those people that complains of pain all the time and has to find doctors to perform whatever surgery he is saying he needs at the time. Really anyone with half a brain cell can tell he is just doing it to not have to work and to collect disability, no real problems… anyways I would give anything to have to deal with the muscle pain that he “claims” to have because pre-GBS I could have never imagined how much more painful nerve pain is than muscle pain… there is just no comparison. Muscle pain is just a drop in the bucket!

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 10:09 am

[QUOTE=montanasmum]I never had any pain – i had tingling and then numbness but no pain (apart from during physio lol!) I dont need any meds.

i still get occasional electrical impulses but they are painless.[/QUOTE]

Thats great that you havent. I have had a terrible amount of pain and even too much PT or doing something out of the ordinary like sitting up for too long, going out for the day (in my wheelchair) can be enough to trigger the nerve pain again even on the meds.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 10:43 am

My only symptoms are the numbness, ataxia, some muscle weakness and tremors in the hands. Although I do have some axonal damage in addition to the demyelination, I never had any pain or zings. I have a CIDP variant and symptoms have been progressing relatively slowly. Perhaps that is the reason pain has not set in yet. IVIG seems to be helping to some extent and hopefully is slowing down the disease.