Can Hand Numbness lead 2 ambutation? Scared, please respond.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I’ve been having numbness & pain in right arm & hand off & on for 10 days now. But today the numbness in my right hand is really bothering me.
      Please respond, if u know if this can these lead to amputation?

I have no $ for health care. Still waiting on disability a year & a half later…No spouse, my spouse to be died of cancer. No family members will help w/ $ either.
      Plus I [B][U]CANNOT[/U][/B] find one doctor that knows anything about GBS! I spent all my savings already trying to find help for this condition.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I been around this form for a while and I don’t remember anybody who had an extremity amputated directly because either GBS or CIDP. I have CIDP, a chronic form of GBS. The immune system is attacking the sheathing around the nerves. This does not affect the blood flow to the the the hands or the feet. So the tissue will not die unless, in my case the feet tissue get water logged from repeatedly putting my foot in my mouth. :rolleyes:

However, if the lose of sensation is caused by tissue necrosis brought on my an inadequate blood flow, that’s another story.

You mentioned that you were on disability. It might help if we knew the particulars about the original problem.

Bottom line, if no one has mentioned a serious circulation deficiency, my best guess is that amputation is a very remote possibility.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Jim gave you an excellent answer and I would second the fact that GBS does not lead to amputation that I’ve ever heard of. Hope that reassures!

• May 23, 2011 at 9:39 am

+1 on Jim’s comment.

I am not a doctor, but I have read every document on GBS/CIDP that I can get my hands on and search engines to find. Never heard of amputation due to GBS.

As is customary on this site, here is my story.

My hands were and remain the hardest hit. My neuro and doctor have told me to keep working them, touching things and above all else stretching. I believe them on this. My experience with hand-drumming taught me the importance of this as well. There is NOTHING wrong with cracking knuckles so I do this as well.

It is difficult, but I fear atrophy by doing nothing so I keep at it. At times, especially at night my hands are as painful as ever, but I do think that keeping them busy is better in the long run.

I’m not sure this helps but I wish you well.