Campylobacter bacteria and Guillain Barre

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 6:11 am

Hi Everybody,

The “flu shot for children?” got me to researching again. I did a ‘search’ on
      the following at pubmed.com: “Campylobacter Guillain Barre”

I was really surprised to find a lot of recent findings / abstracts — it’s encouraging to know that scientists are actively researching GBS.

The abstracts can be pretty technical to understand, but there may be a nugget or two that a non-scientist can glean.

Best wishes…
      Jann

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 6:56 am

Jann, about 50% of those with GBS have no apparent trigger, there is no evidence to suggest ‘stress’ or influenza immunization act as triggers. Swine flu and rabies innoculation may do. Of known triggers campylobacter jejuni, mycoplasma pneumonia, Epstein Barr virus and cytomegalovirus are included. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Hi ‘DocDavid’,

Are you a doctor — if so, I was wondering if you could elaborate on the “campylobacter jejuni” bacteria?

I realize you stated that there is no evidence about the flu vaccine as triggers, but some of the abstracts I was reading seemed to indicate this “campylobacter jejuni” was a bacteria known to “chickens” and since the flu vaccine is made from chicken (eggs)… I thought perhaps that was the connection somehow –??? —

Thanks…
      Jann

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2007 at 4:00 am

That is usually the bacteria that causes food poisoning and can also be found in the eggs they use to make flu vaccine. Campylobacter is hard to eradicate in chicken populations.
      [url]www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7390/620/b[/url]
      I also read that the most common way to get GBS is from food poisoning.
      Nate’s roommate at the hospital got GBS from food poisoning in Mexico.
      Funny, the doctors down there knew exactly what George had immediately.
      They said they see a lot of GBS there.
      I guess the food handling is not very sanitary in some places there.
      Kinda scary since we go twice a year.

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2007 at 5:31 am

Janz, Natesmom has answered your question, flu vaccine is purified and does not contain campylobacter. yes I have been a family doctor for 40 years and answering medical queries here for 5 years. All the best, DocDavid

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I didn’t mean to step on your toes. I’m just anxious to get the word out to as many people as I can about the dangers we face every day and how sick just the simplest thing can make us.
      I appreciate your help too. You ARE the expert here.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 10:08 pm

regardless of the written word, each year many contract gbs from the flu shots. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 11:36 pm

[QUOTE=gene]regardless of the written word, each year many contract gbs from the flu shots. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength[/QUOTE]

You are right Gene and Frank is proof as are so many who have developed GBS from the flu vaccine and other vaccines too. You can get GBS from the flu vaccine, no matter what the researchers or some facts say.