C(I)DP — the inflammatory part — I have a question

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2007 at 6:02 pm

If there is so much inflammation causing peripheral nerve irritation/damage/demyelination, why does MSM taken in ridiculous amounts not even put a dent into the symptoms? Maybe due to the fact that antibodies are constantly being made so inflammation is always there? Even prednisone didn’t do anything for me, but my neurologist thinks IVIG will help A LOT. I sure hope so!

Also, if we have so much inflammation, why the normal sed rate and c-reactive protein results? Anybody else have normal sed rates or c-reactive protein blood results? I don’t understand how that’s really possible, but one of my doctors told me that when there is immune dysfunction, the results aren’t always accurate. However, why do they use these for looking at inflammation in something like lupus when lupus has an immune dysfuction component as well, and many of these people have sky high sed rates? Confusing (to me, at least!).

Thanks for any info! 🙂

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2007 at 7:16 am

O.O.T.D. the demyelination is associated with T cells from the inflammatory response in the white blood cells. Disease require classification and definition there are other causes of demyelintion such as Infection(AIDS), cancer(malgnant neuropathy) hereditary (Charcot Marie Tooth)and degenerative; so CIDP is classifed as an inflammatory polyradiculoneuropathy. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2007 at 9:45 am

Thanks, DocDave, much appreciated…but my question is really why could I have normal sed rates (which measures body inflammation) and still be diagnosed with CIDP? CIDP is inflammatory. Are there are other people with CIDP who have normal sed rates and c-reactive proteins? Thanks!

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2007 at 12:37 pm

O.O.T.D. sed rates and c-r.p. require abnormalities in serum protein, these are not usual in C.I.D.P. DocDavid-

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Thanks, DavidBod, for clearing this up for me!