Buying A New Computer, Please Please Helph

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Hi family,
      I hope our administrators will allow me to post this because you guys here know how important a computer is, we go into withdrawals if we can’t use ours.

I will be moving to another state sometime this year and I want to get a new computer to replace my five year old dell. I know nothing about the tech stuff in new computers. I’ve been thinking about an HP computer because money is tight and they are on sale. They come with AMD ATHLON, what is that??? Is it a good thing. Can HP load Windows XP instead of Vista??? Would HP make a good computer???

I think I’d do fine with just a basic computer, I don’t use it to play games or music and I only go into the basics with photo programs. I use a computer for emails, shopping, searches, microsoft words or a similar program, bill paying and online banking. I set the cursor so the keyboard can be used as mouse.

I need any kind of advice about what kind and what brand would be a good computer.

• April 22, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Hi Liz,
      As you know based on my pleas for help with pictures, I am mentally delayed in the tech world. (I will call some day for your help, just alot going on) BUTTTTT we just got 2 new computers, the one I am using now is a hp laptop. If I can figure it out, you will have no problem. I think it was $1100 with a printer, photo dock/printer, and camera, plus a warranty. We also replaced the basement computer with a hp desk top that was considerably less money. I did not want vista, because I heard of all the problems and the extra programs needed to make games compatible (I do not know if that applies to your existing programs) But the kids don’t even really play the games anymore, so it was no big deal. Someone was saying that windows might be put back on computers until the vista problems get ironed out. Who knows. Good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Liz, we just bit the bullet and bought a new computer. It’s easier than the first few times around because things are so basic and simple now. For one thing, we learned that a desk top used to have a life span of maybe 4 years then it became a dinosaur. Now computers have “excessive memory”, when you purchase a desk top it won’t need replaced for a long time. Our adult children had us running from Vista, but it is not an option, unless you purchase a Mac. All new computers, unless they are referbished, will have Vista pre-installed. But don’t be scared of it, Vista is a lot of eye candy, but if you are willing to spend a little time, it has a lot to offer.
      We ended up with a Dell. Went to Best Buy and had one of the geeks spend a lot of time with us, determining what best suited our needs. Good Luck.
      Missed reading your posts, was worried about you…what state will you be moving to?
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Liz, when are you moving and ti what state. How will you manage?

I have a Dell laptop I bought last year which I love and a Dell desjtop I bought 5 yrs ago, which I also use upstairs. Have found very good in every respect.

Peg Hinz, a New Yorker

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 12:21 am

Liz,
      I have a Dell that is 5 1/2 years old now & I still love it. Why do you need a new computer? My son & son-in-law, both computer majors in college, said my computer will last me indefinitely if I take good care of it. Fortunately, I have them to keep it running smoothly. I have also heard bad things about Vista, & am scared of giving up Windows XP…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 3:39 am

I hate VISTA but when I bought my new Dell laptop earlier this year I wasn’t given a choice about which operating system I wanted to use. That being said, the Dell was around $700 and it’s a wide screen version to help accomodate my poor vision. The bells and whistles that come with VISTA are unnecessary for me but the voice recognition works much better than I thought it would for a “freebie”. Worth the investment and now that we’ve wiped and reloaded the HP desktop it’s working much better too.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 3:44 am

Hi Liz………..how ya doin???:)

I have a Dell at work and a Compaq at home……………love both of ’em.
      I think Dell would be your best, but, I agree with Pam, why not stay with what you got for a while, and see what shakes out with new tecnnology in the near future?? And, as the question from some of the others,…………….where are you moving to????
      Take care,

Perry

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 10:23 am

Hi Family,
      I was kinda freaking out about making a big money loss mistake in buying a new computer. You see a price advertised, then you go to the site and it looks like the screen (monitor?) and keyboard aren’t included, which is going to mean more money added onto the price.

My brother suggested that I buy a new computer so that I have it all packed safely in a box for shipping. I WOULD RATHER KEEP THE DELL THAT I HAVE, PACK IT AS CAREFULLY AS I CAN TO TAKE WITH ME, but my brother is difficult to talk to and until “HE” sees that this is the best thing to do, he won’t listen (kinda like it’s his way or no way). I think I’ll just tell him I won’t move unless my good working dell goes with me (HE HE HE).

I don’t know what month I’ll be moving yet because I’m still in the “looking” stage and if I say I’m moving to……………that could change tomorrow. IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE FLORIDA THOUGH, because they offer the best to meet my budget and other needs. I’m going to look at my first place on May 20th, if I like what it looks like, then I’ll post with photo’s of my new home.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Hi Liz,

Trey here from the Foundation, I like to think I know a little about computers but I only know enough to get me in trouble:D 😉 . No in all seriousness, AMD is just another processor maker like Intel. They are a little bit cheaper since they don’t have the name recognition like Intel. They are still good processors but Intel has been around a while so they are well tested. I would truthfully buy either one if you are just looking at a basic model computer. If you are getting into high end computers I would look to Intel. Anyway, I digress…all a processor is btw is what processes the programs for the computer. I have had good luck with Dell’s and HP makes a decent computer as well. Unless your computer is slow/outdated or having problems with programs I wouldn’t buy a new computer, but that’s just me. Almost all computer manufacturers get their internal parts from the same companies. The only real difference is the case on the outside. As for operating systems XP is slated to be pulled from shelves by June so I would buy a computer before then if you are serious about buying one. Anyway I hope that helps and if you need/want further advice feel free to contact me anytime. I will try to answer it to the best of my knowledge.

Trey Avery
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International
      IT Director

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Hi Liz.
      your Dell is a good computer but has one problem, You may not be able to put the RAM (temp memory ) in to make it run faster.
      HP is considered in the top 3 by consumers. You can get one starting as low as $300.00 (without montor) I would suggest you think about a flat screen montor. $2-300.00 less on sale. You can also use your Dell montor if you like.
      Now VISTA. you do not want basic VISTA and they have just updated VISTA and have made it very user friendley. Do NOT buy extended warrenty. comsumers says it is a rip off and in most cases your problems will come up in the 1st year.
      One of the best virus protection you can get is LIVE ONE CARE. this is new and it has really impressed everyone that has it.
      Useing your old montor and a new say HP you can get into everything about $350–$400.00 This HP will be the last you will have to buy for many many years. I have a 5 yr old HP and have just updated it for less than $100.00 and it is as fast as a new one.
      If your Dell has 1 or more GIGS you can update its memory. and remember what you paid for your Dell 5 yrs ago you now can get a new computer for 1/2 the price. I live in north Fla what part are you thinking about. I was raised in Fla and if you need to know anything will be glad to help.
      Your friend ( Steve)

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Thank you all, you guys are wonderful. The monitor on my good old dell is the old style, big, like the old style portable TV’s and bigger then a microwave. About a year ago, I increased the RAMS in it. I haven’t had any serious problem with this computer. TO KEEP OR NOT TO KEEP. I keep going back and forth with a decision. If I get a new computer and it had VISTA, I’d have to get a new printer and a new scanner that will run on VISTA. Plus I’d have to get a keyboard, all extra expenses. Unless I can find a good deal on an ALL-IN-ONE computer. See I learned what that is, computers are all-in-ones too, it’s not just printers. I learned from my father, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, my old Dell works fine, SO DON”T BUY A NEW ONE!!! Take my old one with me and get a new one when the old one won’t work anymore.

BUT, I would really love to have a brand new one that might last a lifetime!!! I’ve realized that I’ve been through alot and I deserve one, tight budget or not!!

I’ve been considering a Dell Inspiron 530’s, these can come with Windows XP, so I can run my printer and scanner.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 2:14 pm

I bought an HP and I love it! If you go with Vista, be sure to ask for the Premium version. It is so much better than the original. I am not a techie so can’t offer any advice that way, but do love the way this one works and I have had no problems to date.

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Liz, I just bought 3 new computers for my office and personal use about a month ago. All are Dell Inpiron 530S, and I bought them with XP. Yes, it’s an older operating system, but after much research, I found it to be the best. Vista is still full of problems, and has compatibility problems with many non-MicroSoft programs and hardware. Yes, they say they’ll stop selling XP, but the support will continue, so buy it now.

The 530S has the slimmer CPU, so it’s lighter and easier to move. It was very reasonably priced, even after I upgraded the memory and processor. I also got the programs that I wanted pre-installed by Dell, so I didn’t have to do any of that myself. I have no complaints at all with them.

If your CPU is still ok, you could just buy a larger flat screen monitor. It will be compatible with your Dell and you can leave the big old monitor behind.

Good luck with your choice.

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2008 at 10:26 pm

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]I have a Dell Dimension that I’ve had now since 1983, & the only problem I had was with an aol setup disc. For some reason something on that disc messed up the hard drive, I had to wind up puting in a different hard drive. I was looking on Dells website a few days ago they still offer windows xp on certain models. I’ve talked to different people that have computers running Vista, it’s not compatible with everything. My daughters computer has vista & some of the things she has problems with. Cody go over to Dells website & check out their computers you may be able find one cheaper than if you bought it from a store like Wal Mart or Best Buy. The Wal Mart supercenter near me has a Dell Inspiron for $697.00, I didn’t notice whether it had an AMD Athalon processor or an Intel. They also have an HP it is priced at $848.00.[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2008 at 8:13 am

Good morning Liz.
      I forgot to mention in my reply. Who said your printer or scanner will not work with Vista. I just helped a friend go from a dell to an HP and we had no problems getting her printer or scanner to work with Vista.Sounds to me you were talking to a salesman. You have gotten some great advice and now you have to make the decision. Have a great DAY (Steve)

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2008 at 11:55 am

I haven’t gotten the computer yet. I have one more EXPENSIVE dental appt. and once that’s paid off I can sit down and find out what I have left in the BUDGET to buy one. Haven’t talked to a salesman yet and haven’t gone out to a local store to price and shop, so a salesman didn’t tell me that my HP printer and flatbed scanner wouldn’t work with VISTA. My lack of computer knowledge just made “ME” think Vista wouldn’t work with them since they are about four years old and I never heard of VISTA then.

I am hoping that I’ll get some birthday money to put toward a new computer and I’ll probably get the Dell Inspiron 530’s so I can have Windows XP. I know how to use XP and I just don’t want the FRUSTRATION of trying to learn VISTA.

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Liz,

I am always here for you if you need any help or have any questions. Email me anytime.

Jer