Brandy – a new problem?

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 4:03 am

Friends,

Those of you that know Brandy’s story know that she made a remarkable recovery and know that Brandy has met many of her goals since her onset 8/3/99. Last Sunday, Brandy complained of heavy legs, numbness in her feet and hands and in her words “Mom it’s back”. Off to the hospital we go. Although she still had reflexes, she had noteable weakness, mainly in her legs/hips. EKG, normal.CAT scan, normal. Then off for an MRI. Instead of the MRI though an ultra sound of the coraided arterys and a heart echo were performed. Before the MRI could be completed Brandy’s whole body locked up and her breathing was affected. Within 22 hours of entering the hospital Brandy was back on a ventilator of which she remained on for 3 days. Once off of the ventilator an MRI was performed with un-noteable results. The lumbar puncture performed 4 1/2 days from symptons showed protein levels of 43 and her reflexes are hyper-active. She developed pneumonia, apparently a rare form; HIB (H-influenzea) while on the vent. The working diagnoses, transverse myelitis. They wanted to place her in rehab but no beds were available so she is home. She uses a walker to get around and she walks like frankenstein. She cannot lift her feet far off of the ground and uses a shuffle walk, stairs are out. Home physical therapy has been ordered. We are currently waiting to, thanks to Jerimy, have her seen at the University of Michigan by a neurologist experienced in GBS. Upon departure from the hospital (after requesting all records and copies of test results) they also informed us that Brandy has what appears to be 2 small cysts in her spleen. I will keep all updated as to Brandy’s progress and am needless to say am hoping and praying for a full recovery.
      ~Maggie~

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 8:33 am

Maggie, Please know Brandy is in my Thoughts and Prayers. Let me know if Jer can’t get her in at the U. I would be happy to give her my appt for thurs, if she needs it. Please give Brandy A Big Hug for me. Stay positive, she’ll beat this. Take care.

• September 17, 2007 at 10:30 am

Maggie,
      I am so sorry to hear this awful news. We will pray for Brandy that she can once again beat the odds and meet her milestones. What a strong mom you are, my son too has gbs and I feel your pain watching your child helpless and dependant. I pray every day that we will all wake up from this nightmare. Best wishes and stregnth in this difficult time.
      Much love,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 12:21 pm

I have read many of your posts, having a 12 yr old recovering from GBS.
      I am so sorry to hear of Brandy’s new ordeal and just wanted to let you know I’ll be praying for her.
      Keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 12:50 pm

My prayer thoughts are with Brandy, you and the rest of the family. Also for the medical people who will be working with her. Hugs to all.

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 1:02 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. Did they give any insight as to why TM this time? I wish her a speedy recovery.

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Maggie,

I’m so sorry to hear about Brandy’s latest ordeal. I really hope she doesn’t have to deal with TM after having had GBS. Ben and I have a friend who got TM at the same time Ben got GBS, and it took him a year longer than Ben to walk again. Our friend just had it from the waist down, so he never went on the ventilator.

Please let us know what Jer’s doctor says. After talking to Jerimy so much, I can tell he’s really fond of this doctor.

Hope everything goes well!

Love,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 10:26 pm

I’ve all but given up on U of M as countless calls, messages etc have still gone unanswered or returned. PT hasn’t even been ordered yet thru the hospital and I’ve been bounced from department to department. Tomorrow I will call our family doctor and get a prescription from him for PT. Jan from the boards has provided the name of a doctor at the DMC which I will try to reach tomorrow. Brandy doesn’t have all the pain she had with GBS but her walk is very strange and she doesn’t have a lot of balance. Her walker is her best friend. She has been doing exercises and we have been doing stretches and messages with her legs. In order to return to work as a pre-school teacher she’ll need to be able to drive and stand for 8 hours. She has set her goals; Mom in two weeks I’ll walk better and in three weeks I’m going back to work. Thankfully her spirits are high with only a few emotional outbursts. The nagging question, why me? and what exactly is wrong with me? Here’s hoping that tomorrow I can get her an appointment and can get pt scheduled for her.
      Thanks for all the good thoughts, well wishes and prayers, they are greatly appreciated.
      I’ll keep you updated as we things go along.

~Maggie~

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Maggie, my prayers and good thoughts are being sent Brandy’s way. She has been through so much and watching her progress through your posts have been wonderful over the years. We all have been here cheering her on through it all and we all will continue our journey with you and Brandy.

Love and Hugs from the Other Brandy to Your Brandy

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I have been able to get an appointment with the U of M neurologist but the first available appointment is December 3. I have placed calls to the other two neurologists that have been recommended here from the board and am awaiting an answer. When I told Brandy of the date, she said “hope you didn’t make the appointment, I won’t need one by then”. PT came to the house yesterday and as in the olden days, kicked her butt. She was in bed sound asleep by 9:00pm last night. For now, taking one day at a time……………………..

~Maggie~

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Maggie,
      I’m so sorry to hear about Brandy. Please let me know what we can do, visiting or anything. We have Children’s Special Helath Care Services–maybe there’s an adult versoin of that. We’re praying for Brandy.

Laine (Hillary’s mom from Lansing)

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Maybe you can have her Dr. to send her in thru the ER and to be admitted from there. I have know of people doing this. My prayers to you both.

Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Could some of her problems now be from her worrying about the GBS coming back again ? I just thought about this when I seen where she locked up really quick and her breathing being affected for 2-3 days. Just a thought as I know the nerves can play some nasty tricks on the body. I have you both in my prayers and hope you find a hospital you both like real soon now.

God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Drummer

8 years after onset, Brandy was not worried it would come back. She had made a remarkable recovery and met many of her goals. Brandy is a very determined young lady. Only Brandy knows what she felt like 8 years ago and how she felt this time and her words were “Mom it’s back”. Although I have very little faith in the nuerologist that was assigned to her in the hospital I am very thankful that we were in the hospital when she stopped being able to breath on her own. Today, she is once again determined to over come the obstacles thrown in her path and daily her walk is improving. Thank you for your prayers, as I believe it is the prayers that have helped and continue to help Brandy over come and put her on the path of recovery.

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2007 at 2:24 am

Maggie,

I am sorry U of M has been such a pain, sending you and brandy my best. Please call me so we can get together again.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Jerimy,

Brandy got an appointment with U of M, it’s December 3 at 10:15. Although she is rapidly recovering I still want her to keep the appointment. You never know…………..
      You ok? I thought you had disappeared on me. I will call you later this week. Take care, TTYS

~Maggie~

Brandy – a new problem?

• Anonymous

Friends,

Those of you that know Brandy’s story know that she made a remarkable recovery and know that Brandy has met many of her goals since her onset 8/3/99. Last Sunday, Brandy complained of heavy legs, numbness in her feet and hands and in her words “Mom it’s back”. Off to the hospital we go. Although she still had reflexes, she had noteable weakness, mainly in her legs/hips. EKG, normal.CAT scan, normal. Then off for an MRI. Instead of the MRI though an ultra sound of the coraided arterys and a heart echo were performed. Before the MRI could be completed Brandy’s whole body locked up and her breathing was affected. Within 22 hours of entering the hospital Brandy was back on a ventilator of which she remained on for 3 days. Once off of the ventilator an MRI was performed with un-noteable results. The lumbar puncture performed 4 1/2 days from symptons showed protein levels of 43 and her reflexes are hyper-active. She developed pneumonia, apparently a rare form; HIB (H-influenzea) while on the vent. The working diagnoses, transverse myelitis. They wanted to place her in rehab but no beds were available so she is home. She uses a walker to get around and she walks like frankenstein. She cannot lift her feet far off of the ground and uses a shuffle walk, stairs are out. Home physical therapy has been ordered. We are currently waiting to, thanks to Jerimy, have her seen at the University of Michigan by a neurologist experienced in GBS. Upon departure from the hospital (after requesting all records and copies of test results) they also informed us that Brandy has what appears to be 2 small cysts in her spleen. I will keep all updated as to Brandy’s progress and am needless to say am hoping and praying for a full recovery.
      ~Maggie~

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2007 at 9:17 pm

Brandy is a mystery!
      Here’s what we know for certain. Brandy does not have MS and she does not have Transverse Mylitis. A GBS relapse maybe although not text book as she never lost her reflexes. She lost her reflexes in 1999 for well over a year. According to Brandy, it is/was GBS and in all honesty, only Brandy knows how she felt 8 years ago and how she felt this time.
      Yes she had pneumonia and yes it was from the vent. HIB strain, not really clear. Henry Ford Hospital reported to the Macomb County Health Department that Brandy had GBS and never mentioned the HIB strain.
      Her walk today is much slowly and she lacks full balance but daily she ]is improving. She asked the neurologist for a release to return work which she granted. As her neurologist told her, start out slowly, part time and work your self back into full time. Brandy will know when she is ready for full time. Brandy called work and she will report tomorrow (after her physical therapy appointment) to see the kids and work out a schedule.

On a personal note, I’d like to thank each and everyone one of you for the prayers, the thoughts, the finding of some wonderful doctors, and all the help that you provided during our time of need. Although a simple phrase, please know that it comes from the heart, thank you!

~Maggie~

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Glad to hear Brandy is doing better.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Maggie That is Wonderful News! Brandy-You Go Girl!:D Just remember to go slowly and get plenty of rest in between outtings. Big Hugs!!!!:)

Brandy – a new problem?

• Anonymous

Friends,

~Maggie~